@Riot: The attack speed stat is misleading for new players

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The SHP

07-18-2012

yeah, that kinda irritates me too.

But you know what's makes it even more confusing? In the past, the max it would show for that first number (the one in blue) was .625, regardless of if it was your base or not. So if you were, say, master yi, with a base AS of .679, it would display, at level 1, .625 + .54. Actual AS gains were based on the .679, but the tooltip implied his base was .625 when it was not. For slower champs, like (at the time) Nunu, who had around .560 or so, it would show the proper .560 in blue as the first number. But when you gained AS, it would add on to that blue first number first (despite the fact that you weren't adding base AS), then anything beyond .625 would be tacked onto the green number.

The confusing part is that, at some point, they fixed that tooltip to be what it currently is... but for some reason left the bonus AS to be added into the first number, which is supposed to be base AS. So they already looked at the tooltip and changed it in the past... but didn't seem to think anything of this oddity

JJJNigel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2012

lol, now that's just crazy. i wonder why they didn't fix it to be intuitive back when they fixed that mess.

JJJNigel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2012

bump for reds!

Linw3

07-19-2012

Bumping the thread, and thanking the OP for teaching me why the hell my 1.009 atk speed lee sin (lv 18) would only get to 1250ish with the 40% bonus attack speed from his passive.

JJJNigel

07-23-2012

bump

JJJNigel

07-23-2012

bump for reds!

JJJNigel

07-24-2012

morellooooooo

JJJNigel

07-25-2012

you must improve the clarity!

JJJNigel

07-26-2012

bamp

JJJNigel

07-27-2012

as diana's abilities have been revealed, i should point out that the reason they give free attack speed and don't just bump up the base stats is for this reason -- if they bumped up the base stats, diana could buy attack speed items and attack ridiculously fast compared to other characters. by simply giving free attack speed, they essentially give an early/mid attack speed buff that doesn't get ridiculous by late game.