@Riot: The attack speed stat is misleading for new players

First Riot Post
1234567 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JJJNigel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EframM View Post
"give me 55 AD, or a 55% increase in my damage"

stopped reading.
obviously, certain members of GD aren't the best at reading comprehension and/or mathematics.

don't be one of them!

Rooster Raiden

07-12-2012

Not that I disagree, but most new players are not mathing it out.

They are just following the builds of others.

Thateous

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJJNigel View Post
No again. The displayed base attack speed, 0.800, is not actually your base attack speed. It is your base attack speed plus your innate attack speed per level. The default base attack speed is 0.625 (varies by champion), and in this case I have a 0.175 bonus gained from levels. So, how much does the Phantom Dancer actually give me? It's 0.625 + 0.175 + 0.200 + (0.625 * 55%) = 1.344, or a 34.4% increase in damage. This is quite a different number from 44% or 55%.
I read this too fast and it made my head hurt...

JJJNigel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster Raiden View Post
Not that I disagree, but most new players are not mathing it out.

They are just following the builds of others.
Yeah, perhaps I should have written "intermediate" instead. By "new", I originally meant players who are still trying to gain reasonable all-around competence, not players who are totally new to the game. Very new players would just follow the recommended items while advanced players already have a general feel for when what item would be useful, even if they're not fully aware of the math behind it.

Intermediate players who are trying out new things would greatly benefit from such a change, though. And in general, Morello and the other reds are always emphasizing the importance of clarity -- this would improve clarity significantly and allow for more informed player choice.

JJJNigel

07-12-2012

bump

PrincessDerpy

07-12-2012

Honestly, this was done on purpose so that Riot could ape the benefits of leveling in DotA (your attack speed gets better due to AGI growth) within its stats system while not making attack speed items outrageously overpowered because they're expressed in percentages.

Because as your original post notes, the difference between 55% to base + level growth and 55% of base is pretty big.

JJJNigel

07-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerivalara View Post
Honestly, this was done on purpose so that Riot could ape the benefits of leveling in DotA (your attack speed gets better due to AGI growth) within its stats system while not making attack speed items outrageously overpowered because they're expressed in percentages.
this makes me consider another possibility... what if every hero starts with 100 + 0 (0.625) attack speed? phantom dancer then gives 55 attack speed. then when you have 128 + 32 (1.000) attack speed as per the example in the OP, it's still fairly clear how much a phantom dancer would improve your attack speed. the number in parentheses represents the "real" attack speed, which is necessary to display since a number like 128 is meaningless by itself in terms of communicating to you what your stat actually does.

just throwing some ideas out there; i believe Riot will figure out what's best.

HawkGrey

07-12-2012

I agree

JJJNigel

07-13-2012

bump

JJJNigel

07-13-2012

bump for reds

1234567 ... 13