Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Most useful tank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reuva

09-02-2010

Amumu and shen get banned in ranked frequently go with rammus the best tank <3

penatbater

09-02-2010

i've played with the best rammus ever so i'll vote him. his shield allows him to survive even with such little HP % remaining left D: I was like "omg b b b rammus"
"rammus has killed kassadin"

o_O

SainPasq

09-02-2010

I'll say Amumu for the same reasons given above. I also love Rammus but Amumu has a better CC imo.
Shen is more oriented to ganks and stuff, and his ult it's more difficult to use properly that Amumu's.
Malphite is good also but i think it's a little more squishy.
Alistair is boring as hell.
Singed can be a decent tank if it's build properly also.

Pureva

09-02-2010

Amumu is one of the best junglers and is definitely the best initiator. Those two factors alone make him pretty much the "most useful tank." Besides that, he can gank with Bandage Toss, and can counter a lot of other tanks with Despair. He is also better at farming than a lot of other tanks are.

Malphite is also an amazing jungler, and is very good at ganking. Throughout the game, he combines survivability with a high damage output. On top of that, he's a good initiator (though not as amazing as Amumu at that job). However, I haven't seen him used in ranked since his buff in the last patch, so I guess I can't say exactly how good he is at the highest levels of play.

Octovert

09-02-2010

Amumu has a great ult. It's also on a massive cooldown and you can cleanse out of it. Rammus is really who you're asking for. Not only is he simply _the_ answer to any physical carry, but he has the most imba CC in the whole **** game. With a little cooldown reducing items (randuins, anyone) you can taunt someone for 3 seconds, every 5 seconds. Even if they DO cleanse it once, it doesn't matter, you just powerball, catch them and slow them, then taunt again. And with DBC, nobody can't hurt you. Get a thornmail for the lulz.

MLG Poro

09-02-2010

Quote:
Synergize:
It can be hit or miss. Too often in solo queue, the 2v1 lane loses their tower and gets denied early on. You'll probably have to support them a lot if they're bad. If they're decent players, having a jungler is amazing. It gives you a great level advantage vs a team that doesn't jungle. High risk / high reward.

I think you'd do great if you found a buddy so you can duo queue. Send your reliably good friend into the 2v1 lane and enjoy your exp.

I don't have much of an opinion on which is better, but Amumu is definitely the better pick when you're teamed up with champs that have super AoE ultimates, such as Morgana and Fiddlesticks. Amumu's ult allows them to make the most of theirs, and it's often an auto-win teamfight button.

You should really buy and master both, though. They're common picks for bans in ranked games. You need to know both so you can play one if the other is banned.

This is great advice, I already have Amumu and I think I'll proceed to buy Shen in case one or the either gets banned. (Back-up plan Alistar? O: )

Shamanb

09-03-2010

Full tank as in damage reduction + cc - Rammus
CC oriented tank - Amumu
Balanced and map domination - Shen
Off-tank dps - Galio (most ppl think he's not good ... but really he does very good damage and is tough enough, plus his ultimate kick-ass)

Imo, Amumu is probably the best tank because of how he can dominate teamfight. Else I'd say rammus.

huhwhat

09-03-2010

Is it me, or does it seem to imply, if you want a tank, it's basically one of three?

1. Amumu
2. Shen
3. Rammus

The other "tanks" just seem to be beefier melee, ranged, or magic dps due to the lack of a hard CC or taunt

KamikazeSaint

09-03-2010

Woah woah guys what about gragles? Awesome ult to initiate, sneak up and split their formation up. A slow, and 30% damage reduction

DrunkScottsman

09-05-2010

WTF?! AP/Tank Blitzcrank... not one even mention of his name... Really guys? Pull/Knock-UP stun, AoE with 500dmg at lvl 3 and with a full RoA and Lichbane it does like 800