Roles in game

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NoneLikeRob

06-29-2012

So I have been catching some gruff in games here and there over how I am playing support and tank, so I wanted to post to ask more advanced players whether I am actually playing the roles wrong or if these people are just crying for something the cry about.

Now for tank, my understanding of this role is to build tanky, health items, and depending on the opposing team comp varying levels of armour and magic resist. From what I understand, what you are going for is sustainability so that you can take damage from enemy champs and be able to face tank a turret for a quick take down when necessary. I am also under the impression it is the job of the tank to die if needed to make sure the carries (who have kills and are worth decent amounts of gold) get away since the tank shouldn't be taking kills and shouldn't be giving the enemy much gold. How I play in lane is firstly, don't take minion kills, let the AD take the farm and I go for early GP10 items to help my gold out and rely on gold from assists. If the AD is at base I will farm a little bit, but I don't take champ kills to keep my worth low if I die, I PURPOSELY don't take champ kills. Now this is the one that really confuses me when people blame losing a game on me for being 0/2/20, I thought that is what you wanted as a tank.

For support, I kind of play it the same, my favorite support that I own is Soraka, with her I will again build early GP10 items to help my gold out because I am not taking farm or kills. With her I will build AP items as well to maximize her heal abilities. As far as lane play goes, it's about the same, only difference being a support doesn't really engage, it is the responsibility of the carry to communicate, making sure my heals and any CC isnt on CD then engage themselves while I will offer a little damage support and just heal, once again, NOT TAKING KILLS.

Now maybe I am a noob in my thinking here, and maybe I am playing the roles completely wrong, but I wanted some input from veteran players to let me know if I am doing well or if I need to switch up my strategy.

GWBranimir

06-29-2012

Tank should also have a lot of CC, like alistar knock-up skill, so they can interupt dangerous skills like Katarina or Fiddlestick ult.

SunDipFunny

06-29-2012

You have the right idea. If you went 0/2/20 you did a excellent job. Its the AD Carry/AP Carry/Top Laner to win the game. If you ever lose its normally their fault, unless you fed.

TeknoWizard

06-29-2012

It doesn't hurt to pick up some support items on supports. Most of these involve auras the benefit your team, such as a Shuryelia's or an Aegis of the Legion.

Careful

06-29-2012

It's understandable to take a kill every once in a great while on a tank/support if you know for sure one of you two will die trying. I mean, I'd rather have two people walk out, and have the tank/support with a kill, and the AD carry with a assist; than their AD carry manage to get a kill out of one of you two before dying.

Some people may get pissed, but in the end it's better their carry didn't get a kill.

Danish Vikingz

06-29-2012

You are doing it right...
Other than, you should take the kill if no one is around to take it for you
Going 0/2/20 is a perfect score for a tank/support...

PatronDidas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

The job of the tank is also to initate, which most tanks forget. You have to be the most ballsy guy on your team, as long as your team is not too far bhind. THats why communication is so important. Many a times the tank goes and turret dive for no reason bcus team is too slow, or there is no one to iniate and your team is running around like headless chickens waiting to get picked off. Being the tank means you must make yourself very attractive to attack and be able to peel off attackers from squishies.

NoneLikeRob

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronDidas View Post
The job of the tank is also to initate, which most tanks forget. You have to be the most ballsy guy on your team, as long as your team is not too far bhind. THats why communication is so important. Many a times the tank goes and turret dive for no reason bcus team is too slow, or there is no one to iniate and your team is running around like headless chickens waiting to get picked off. Being the tank means you must make yourself very attractive to attack and be able to peel off attackers from squishies.

Communication! I think a lot of people don't understand the importance of this, that right there is why I would like to see riot implement a built-in voice chat option so you can verbally communicate with teammates you dont have on skype.

Lajinn5

06-30-2012

normally as a tank i watch the other team, i try to get them to engage first if possible, i also watch how many enemies there are, if they have a CC, AD, or AP missing i try to make my team fall back so we dont get ganked and lose the squishies as soon as the fight starts