[Guide] How to Destroy People By Shooting Water - A guide to Tristana.

12345678 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leirkov

09-05-2010

I am capable of generating high CS totals. I usually do, most of the time I end with the highest CS total in my games. Sometimes in the 2v2 lane I outfarm the solo lanes. Hell, I generate 120 on melee hereos by the end of laning. (Sion, Mundo, Yi.)

Unless you're dominating the lane completely, who is NOT going to try and deny you? Sion will make you pay. Zilean.. is Zilean. Anivia is obvious. A good Katarina is a headache in lane. Vladimir is a walking headache. Tristana will harass the hell out of you and have you tower hugging by level 3.

Tristana pushes a lane unintentionally, and sometimes because of Explosive Shot I miss last hits completely. Therefore by pushing my lane I am forced to sit back and either:

1) Soak harassment by the opponent at the safety of their tower, and sit right in front of their tower and risk getting ganked.
2) Sit in the middle of the lane getting no experience or last hits, and being forced to take option #1 for last hits.

To answer your question:

Denial.
Trading hits with the enemy (I am fairly aggressive and run up constantly to harass).
Explosive Shot doing too much AoE that the minions get the last hit.
Auto attacking (purposely) to regen some health and I made one more attack that I shouldn't have.

Most of the time if I'm paying attention I get just about every last hit.

AMonkeyCourier

09-05-2010

You've completely missed the point that I was making. In what way is Doran's Sword required in order to last-hit efficiently while playing a defensive early game? Tristana's epic range only sets in at around midgame, making harassment difficult against heroes often fielded to intentionally shut Tristana down. This makes me sometimes forgo a point in explosive shot entirely, leaving a point unspent until required in a gank or similar situation. It is entirely possible to maintain an optimal creep line as Tristana and farm efficiently while using the far more cost-effective shield instead of the sword.

Leirkov

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMonkeyCourier View Post
You've completely missed the point that I was making. In what way is Doran's Sword required in order to last-hit efficiently while playing a defensive early game? Tristana's epic range only sets in at around midgame, making harassment difficult against heroes often fielded to intentionally shut Tristana down. This makes me sometimes forgo a point in explosive shot entirely, leaving a point unspent until required in a gank or similar situation. It is entirely possible to maintain an optimal creep line as Tristana and farm efficiently while using the far more cost-effective shield instead of the sword.
Where did I say Doran's Blade is a requirement. This is a guide, full of suggestions and how I play Tristana, if you like Doran's Shield, good for you. Doran's Blade gives you more damage so your margin of error on last hits is bigger.

Tristana harasses easily early game. It's very easy to pull off and annoying to play against. I have people tower hugging and I still harass the hell out of 'em.

Your range sets in around level 6-8. (Outranging Heimer's turrets usually means success)

If your opponent doesn't want to be pressed, they have to push out. It's not hard to reset waves, especially with 155 AoE damage.

Chipacabra

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirkov View Post
[Introduction]

Anyway, onto my justification about Explosive Shot.

25 damage per second. For 8 seconds? Holy ****, yes. Here's how you harass people early game.
Well, yeah. At level 5. At level 1, it's 25/sec for 4 seconds. It's still good, and it's not like you're using your mana for anything else, but it's not THAT awesome.
The real joy of ES's active is when you luck out, and hit them with it just before they cast Heal.

AMonkeyCourier

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leirkov View Post
Where did I say Doran's Blade is a requirement.
You suggest it as a superior option to Doran's Shield. It is not unless you really are completely dominating the enemy mid (which should NOT happen in anything other than uberlow ELO where they don't counterpick your carry) and can make use of the sword's lifesteal.

Evolnemesis

09-05-2010

Thou hast besquirted me, O leotarded one!

Baronvonbullshit

09-05-2010

I would very strongly disagree that Doran's Blade is superior to Doran's Shield. They have identical health, a non issue but you are trading hp regen and armor for lifesteal and damage.
The lifesteal on the blade is inconsequential. To achieve a comparative level of regen to the shield you would need to be doing 200 damage every 5 seconds. In early laning this is simply not possible. So you are trading 6 damage for 8 armor? I find most of my harrassing early game comes from explosive shot so the 6 damage isnt to helpful there and I don't really need 6 extra damage to last hit. However when i am harrassing it is inevitable I eat an autoattack and so the armor is helpful there.

I'd be very interested to hear your opinon as it is something I can't really agree with you on.

Leirkov

09-05-2010

@Chip - It's still pretty decent at level 1. I run up to people and they start running away, with no resistance involved that's 100 DoT, almost like eating an Ezreal Q. + Auto attacks since your range is quite low. So you still come out of the gate strong.

@Monkey - I believe most high ELO players would disagree. Now am I high ELO with HotshotGG or Dan Dinh? No (but I've played with Dan lol).

If you need to heal, like I mentioned in the guide. Auto attack a few times to get some HP back on. You'll regen faster than a doran's shield. (Unless you're speccing your masteries to gain massive HP regen, which I used to do) Of course don't auto attack constantly - get the last hits in, but that's how I gain back my HP. IN MOST CASES, when you are getting strongly outplayed, or you just can't win (Anivia, Zilean), you're going to lose anyway and a Doran's Shield won't help you there.

@Baron - 3-6 damage per hit. Shield will give you.. 8 regen is it? Attack twice, maybe thrice. You just completed what a Doran's Shield does in 5 seconds.

Your MAIN source of harassment is explosive shot but you still need to follow up with auto attacks to make any use of it. Eat 25 damage a second and 60 damage auto attacks, most opponents will run away.

I understand most players enjoy Doran's Shield. I find the last hitting process is easier, your attacks hurt a bit more, and you get rewarded slightly for your last hits by getting a minimal amount of HP. Like I said, just auto attack a few times, get the HP that a Shield probably could get, then continue waddling around and last hitting.

shishyy

09-06-2010

Hmm, I actually quite like this build. I used to use 1 doran start with a health potion then get 2 more blades asap, then get an SoC and Berserkers greaves (Followed by frozen mallet, black cleaver, blood thirster) but yours seems to work out a bit better.
I was wondering, for your build, would it be a better idea to get bloodthirster before infinity edge? (I thought that blood was better but I was just wondering).

Leirkov

09-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishyy View Post
Hmm, I actually quite like this build. I used to use 1 doran start with a health potion then get 2 more blades asap, then get an SoC and Berserkers greaves (Followed by frozen mallet, black cleaver, blood thirster) but yours seems to work out a bit better.
I was wondering, for your build, would it be a better idea to get bloodthirster before infinity edge? (I thought that blood was better but I was just wondering).
No, Infinity Edge will give you 80 damage and extra damage on your crits - bringing you up to nearly 568 or so. Infinity Edge is the single best DPS item, espeically for carries.

12345678 ... 13