[Champion Suggestion] Lineph, the Mathmagus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shadowclaimer

11-04-2009

Tthe Arithmetician sounds sexier.

Doctor Awesome

11-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake O Dagger View Post
Most buffs I can think of off the top of my head are self-buffs, so making it not work on those is kind of pointless IMO.

I have an idea for a passive, but its mostly a joke idea not meant to be taken seriously. Ironically, the more I think of it, the more I come up with ways to make it actually something doable.

When you die, a random math question appears on your screen (either on a part of the screen itself or in the chatbox), You have until you revive to type /math followed by the answer. Based on the type of problem, you get a different effect.

Addition: The next friendly target you click gains health equal to the answer. (Answers to this question will scale by level. Min 50 at level 1, max 300 at level 1. Min 300 at level 18, max 800 at level 18.)

Subtraction: The next enemy target you click takes damage equal to the answer. (Answers to this question will scale by level. Min 10 at level 1, max 100 at level 1. Min 200 at level 1, max 500 at level 18)

Multiplication: The next friendly target you click has a random trait increased by a percent equal to the answer for a number of seconds equal to 1/4th the answer, rounded up. (Basically, it will randomly pick, without telling you, a trait such as Health, dodge, crit chance, movement speed, armor, or something. Then it will increase that trait by a percentage when you click a target. Scales 1 min level 1, 20 max level 1, 20 min level 18, 200 max level 18. This means at Level 18, you could potentially triple a single stat, even a person's health.)

Division: The next enemy target you click has a random trait decreased by a percent equal to the answer for a number of seconds equal to half the answer, rounded up.. (Same as above, but min 1 at level 1, 10 max at level 1, 10 min at level 18, 100 max at level 18. A target with health reduced to 0 by a 100% reduction is instantly killed.)

Addition and Subtraction should show up a more often than Multiplication and Division.

EDIT: Also, could you comment on my newest Champion, Escrima, the Twin Storm?
Hrm. That's a good point. I guess I'll have to think of something for it to do... I don't want to go for the inelegant solution of "doesn't work on ultimate buffs"... perhaps it only stops auras, passives, and item buffs? (Stark's Fervor, Sheen's damage bonus, etc.)

As to that passive: I can't lie, I thought about math problem mechanics. I also considered a passive called Prime Tactics that made her crit whenever her attack would deal a prime number in damage. Not the best idea, considering she can hulk out.

I'll take a look at your idea and respond at my earliest opportunity. Thanks for the commentary!

Drake O Dagger

11-04-2009

Honestly, I don't see much of a problem with stopping all buffs, even ultimates. I noticed several people mentioning how it hurts Tryndamere. Let me point something out though: just yesterday I saw several people complaining about how his ult + Spin was broken since it made him impossible to kill (their words, not mine) since he could escape into the forest effortlessly. I don't see it as broken AT ALL to negate all buffs, since yes, some of them (or some combinations of buffs and items) can be annoying as all hell and almost broken. It makes the character a very good support character for some of the more annoying buff abilities. I see nothing wrong with this.

ZGBudai

11-04-2009

Personally, I think the story itself is win.

Doctor Awesome

11-05-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGBudai View Post
Personally, I think the story itself is win.
Aww, I'm touched. The inspiration struck me one day, and I knew I had to run with it. I secretly love writing the fluff almost more than the mechanics of the champion, but I have to restrain myself lest I end up writing a three-page wall that nobody will read. That, and a lot of people tend to automatically associate long fluff with bad design... such a pity.

Drake, I agree with you from a mechanical standpoint--a buff-stripper is a perfectly reasonable role, and a totally unique one. The problem is, Ultimates are supposed to be the most defining move on the champion--the one that gets your attention, that makes you really afraid of them in a big fight, that can turn the tide when used correctly.

As (I believe) Pendragon stated at one point, Ultimates should be "selfish"--whenever you use them, for a few seconds, you're the center of attention--the star of the show. It's part of what makes the fights dynamic, and part of what makes the game so fun--getting to be the most important person in the competition, even for only a moment. It would really screw with that balance if there was a reliable way of... well, stealing a person's thunder. Particularly if that thunder happens to be a life-saving thunder you rely upon to survive against impossible odds. As much as Tryndemere annoys me with his ability to cheat death time and time again, I can respect that he has a really cool way to steal the show, and it just isn't right if one of my regular moves could ruin that anytime I wanted.

Therein lies the dilemma: the only way I could justify making a skill that could potentially directly negate an enemy's ultimate they use on themselves is if the skill that does it is my ultimate; yet, if it was, it would probably have to have a long cooldown to justify that kind of power, and keep me from firing it all the time, but then it's far less useful since I can't rely on having it ready to strip buffs when they come up. In addition, that would be kind of a lamesauce thing to be known for, wouldn't it? "The champion who specializes in ruining eveyrone else's fun?" I'm not ready to abandon buff-stripping, but I think I need to think carefully about it.

Drake O Dagger

11-05-2009

You bring up a good point that I had missed in that. My champions (all 3) have Ults that, while not necessarily buffs, would definitely be things I wouldn't want stopped as they are what make them cool (and in one case, its the only way the champion could function effectively late-game). I suppose an alternative from a full buff-stripper is actually needed. Maybe I can come up with an idea that can take the concept in a good direction.

Drake O Dagger

11-06-2009

Hey Doc *munches on a carrot*, did you ever get around to looking over my passive suggestion in detail? You didn't comment on Escrima either, and now I"ve made another new champion who uses a rather unique mechanic I haven't ever seen before (not that I was looking though). So, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you comment on Gesperon her topic and vote in the poll? Feel free to do the same with the others too. I'd really appreciate it.

hoogamaphone

11-14-2009

As a mathematician, I approve of this champion.

Doctor Awesome

11-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogamaphone View Post
As a mathematician, I approve of this champion.
Glad to hear it. I'm engineering myself, so I tried to stick with what I knew. Vote for me in the character contest!

Razzle Dazzle

Adjudicator

11-21-2009

Congratz on winning the champion contest.

Heres the link to the thread for those interested - http://leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=27076