Proving Grounds Playable on Live!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamsOfGrandeur

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrycox42 View Post
Was this actually intended to be an ARAM map, or was that just what people hyped it up to be?

Because this is not ARAM. It's ARAB with Summoner's Rift turrets.

Between the starting gold, the global aura (With the passive experience, etc), the health pack, starting at level 3, the Dominion items, and the ****ing bushes, this map screams ARAB.

I hate ARAB. I'll be sticking to Summoner's Rift for my ARAM >.>
My thoughts exactly.

But, some of the Murderbridge features are worth playing; turrets instead of capture points and restrictions that prevent cheating are a big plus.

Also, Brackhar has stated in another thread that his next Thunderdome project (if given the resources) is to make custom games truly customizable. Think Sandbox style, where you can adjust map restrictions, starting gold, gold rate, item-bans, etc..
Knowing that, I feel better about playing on Proving Grounds for the moment.

Really dislike how people are downvoting honest criticisms.

Footie 117

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-29-2012

ahh this will be even funner now that its not just the few hundred PBE players playing it however tehre wil likely be waaay more trolls and dodgers :S

Perrycox42

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zielmann View Post
Let me jump in on this and try to explain a few things, and why at it's core, PG is ARAM, and not ARAB. I have spent a LOT of time on the PBE the last couple weeks playing ARAMs on the PG (Deathbridge, if you will), and have loved it.

The only reason people are likening it to ARAB is because you start level 3 with the bonus gold, and there is a global xp gain on the map. But this is where the similarities stop.

The whole point of ARAB is stalling/stagnating the game when you have the advantage. This is one of the biggest problems/flaws with ARAB. The other issue with ARAB is that the spawn timers favor the losing team so incredibly heavily that often times, getting out to a very early, large lead can lose you the game. It becomes a battle of tanky DPS, because tanky DPS is better at defending/holding a specific point than hard carries (they die too fast).

What makes an ARAM and ARAM is the towers, rather than capture points. The towers mean you need to win a fight with enough people alive to actually push down the towers to progress toward your objective. This is a very different objective than you have in ARAB. It means you need to play aggressive, but cautiously aggressive. Poke is very good on this map, and hard carries play an important role here.

All they did was take the somewhat boring early levels of ARAM and speed them up a bit. The games tend to last around 20 minutes, and 15-16 minute games aren't uncommon. This makes it actually quite different than both ARAM and ARAB, because those can tend to drag on for a long time. Also note that the global xp gain is modified a bit from what you get on Dominion, so you do level a bit slower on this one.

As an avid ARAM player, I will admit that I approached the more ARAB-like features with some skepticism. But after playing it for a while, the feel of the ARAM is definitely there, moreso than ARAB. Give it a chance for a while. I think you'll find the pacing to be pretty good. And the same champs that are very strong on ARAM are still strong on PG, whereas ARAB kinda has a different set of champs that dominate.
Well, that's pretty well thought out, and sounds reasonable, but... All I know is I went into my first game knowing about all of the changes and thinking it would still feel like ARAM. Then as the match went on, more and more all I could think was "this **** is ARAB."

Honestly though, I think I could get over everything else except for one thing: the bushes. I see your other post that says the bushes help the melee, but that counters some of the things that I love about ARAM. How melee are at a disadvantage early, but if you play smart or have the right team, they win you the game.

Maybe it seems silly to you, but the bushes are a dealbreaker for me. Unless people reach a consensus that bushes aren't allowed in this new hybrid mode, I will not play it

Eletale

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrycox42 View Post
Well, that's pretty well thought out, and sounds reasonable, but... All I know is I went into my first game knowing about all of the changes and thinking it would still feel like ARAM. Then as the match went on, more and more all I could think was "this **** is ARAB."

Honestly though, I think I could get over everything else except for one thing: the bushes. I see your other post that says the bushes help the melee, but that counters some of the things that I love about ARAM. How melee are at a disadvantage early, but if you play smart or have the right team, they win you the game.

Maybe it seems silly to you, but the bushes are a dealbreaker for me. Unless people reach a consensus that bushes aren't allowed in this new hybrid mode, I will not play it
I'll call what you play AM, no reason to use AR. You'll be missed, by the way.

Whittaker

06-29-2012

Posted this on EU-W but figure theirs more chance of it being seen here.

So friends and I have been playing PG non-stop on the PBE since it's release and we have some feedback from our numerous games.

#1 problem, Warmogs, it's just too efficient and often games can reach a stage where a team literally becomes too beefy to kill in the ARAM style.
#2 Lifesteal, The only thing that stands up to this, the amount someone can leech back, especially against minions, means that once a good AD Ranged gets Sanguine they are incredibly hard to take down if they don't die in the initial burst.
#3 The back most health pack needs to be moved or have the pathing back to lane altered slightly as far too often people looking to get back to lane ASAP after a death end up taking the health pack right as you were on your way to pick it up.
#4 Draft Random would be a godsend, the way it would work is give both teams 3 bans and then the rest of the picks are randomed. I'm sure we've all been against a Ziggs, Yorick, AP Yi, AP Janna, etc. that are just not fun to play against and often leave no room for counter-play, especially before the first tower goes down.

Other than those 4 points it's been an absolute blast, sure you sometimes get 5 melee vs 5 ranged or no wave clear, against a Karthus, Kayle, Trynd, Ziggs, Yorrick all on the same team but you just write those off and hope the ARAM gods smile on you next time ^_^

Grøve

06-29-2012

did anything else come of the patch today?

Locofohuelemal

06-29-2012

I had some ARAB jokes ready to go, but I'm going to be sensible to the diversity of Riot's community and hold my tounge. (It's court ordered.)

thepantsparty

06-29-2012

man I'm terrible at murderbridge

Perrycox42

06-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eletale View Post
I'll call what you play AM, no reason to use AR. You'll be missed, by the way.
By right team, I mean sometimes you'll get a team where even at level 1 you're able to be aggressive and completely pile on top of the enemy, forcing them to get back. But even if you don't get a team like that, if you play smart you can win any game.

Also, do I know you, or what was up with that last comment?

Reamer

06-29-2012

the few ARAW players would like the same map with a mode that puts a capture point in the middle instead of turrets but we are greedy