Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Blitztank strat

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mack The Knife

11-04-2009

Hello, all. This isn't a guide, per se. I am interested in hearing feedback as to the viability of the strategy I have been using in my Blitzcrank games lately. If responses are positive, I'll amend this into a real guide.

I consider Blitz a great utility character first and foremost. His Rocket Fist and Power Fist make the lives of your teammates easier, especially in solo queue where most people are specced for damage, by impeding an enemy's escape. So my theory is that the more often you can cast these abilities and the longer you can stay in the fight, the better. Note - this is all without taking runes into consideration, since the Store doesn't work.

Spec:
0/21/9 for maximum staying power. Put a point in Improved Cleanse especially.

Spells:
Cleanse/Rally

Items:
Mekai -> Chalice
Boots of Swiftness
Heart of Gold x2
Glacial Shroud
Sunfire
Sell Heart of Gold -> Aegis of the Legion
Sell Heart of Gold -> Sunfire

Now, this build will make you into a very tough tank with great cooldowns and a convenient summoner escape spell. The best part, though, is the fact that your cooldowns are as follows:

@ lvl 18
Rocket Fist: 14.4 sec
Overdrive: 10.8 sec
Power Fist: 4 sec
Static Field: 32 sec

It's essential that you keep farming the golem for his buff, which will then give you even more insane cooldowns:

@ lvl 18
Rocket Fist: 10.8 sec
Overdrive: 13.2 sec
Power Fist: 3 sec (zomg)
Static Field: 24 sec

Early- and mid-game strats are similar to other guides, but in a teamfight don't worry too much about dealing damage (although the 3 sec Power Fist is nothing to scoff at) or taking it. Just run around with Rocket Fists flying and Power Fists punching and watch how badly it throws the enemy off his game. Your teammates can worry about actually bringing them down, your job is to make their job easier.

Anyway, that's it. Thoughts?

SamuraiPanda

11-04-2009

a) I crunched the numbers on the Hearts of Gold a little while back, and they really aren't worth it IMO. Especially not 2 of them.

b) You seem concerned with mana as you go for the chalice early game. I highly suggest getting the Tear instead, because your passive will happily munch on the tons of remaining mana you should have left. Spamming the punch = tons of mana thanks to the tear. And its only 980 for the whole thing.

c) Glacial shroud/Sunfire > Hearts of Gold. They provide defense and passive bonuses. Although if there are tons of casters on the other team, you may want to get the Spirit Shroud, perhaps instead of Sunfire.

d) Aegis is best early game. Personally, I rarely use the item (despite making a tank-ish build) because I prefer debuffing enemies over buffing allies. Honestly, it really depends on the makeup of your team for which is better to go with.

e) Cleanse? Better to go with Banshee's than use that. Flash can also help save you in many occasions, and is versatile enough to do plenty of other things, too.

Decent build, but you need to adjust based on what your team needs and what the other team has at their disposal. Your build will get destroyed by a caster/AP heavy team due to stacking the wrong defense for the occasion.

Also, I personally find Blitz to be a poor choice for a tank build. There are plenty of characters that tank far better than Blitz could ever hope to. Making a hybrid build, like tank/AP whore, is more effective n Blitz in my experience thus far.

Mack The Knife

11-05-2009

Awesome feedback, thanks. I'll tweak the build based on your advice and see how things go--in any case I now see the flaws in my own version. Regarding the tanking aspect of the build, it's really only to support the utilities Blitz provides. There certainly are better tanks, but can they provide the same enemy disruption benefits as an up-armored Blitz with very low cooldowns?

GNOY

11-05-2009

Exhaust can be very good too. If both of you have Exhaust in lane you will "grab" (literally, by his mighty hand) FB almost 100%.

First item should be Mana Crystal. Then go Boots,then finish Sheen (Power Fist benefits from its Unique). The rest is on your choice