How to counter Yorick top?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Nevercrysis

08-15-2012

Malphite or Darius! Go with stronger Top laners.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kageoni4 View Post
Not to troll or anything, but wouldn't AD Sion be a potential counter ? I mean that how I counter a Yorick, wrecked him pretty badly, but though to be honest all I did was w+q + auto attack + w+ run back repeat. though I had a lot of help from our jungler noc. and with my R I my LS out did most of the damage.
I wouldnt expect AD Sion to be much of a counter. However, If you leveled your shield first it would take quite a bit of sting off the W/E ranged combo that Yorick has. Youd have to bring up the shield right as yorick moves in for the W/E so you avoid the nuke damage as well as the ghoul beating. Too early and Yorick simply holds off on the cast and hits you when shield is down. Too late and you eat damage.

Stun is incredibly mana intensive so I dont see you being able to stun, hit, run. You definitely could not do so with stun AND shield. Your yorick was an utter moron to lose in such a fashion. He would easily be able to W/E you as you approach before your stun, get 10% damage reduction, and his ghouls/burst would do huuge damage, and he Qs you right as you enter melee after his first autoattack.
You would massively lose out on this trade and you have negative sustain, unlike him.

Quote:
Malphite or Darius! Go with stronger Top laners.
Darius is awful. Great vs most melee tanky DPS, but Yorick easily destroys him. Yoricks entire early game revolves around his W/E combo, slowing darius and making him take tons of ghoul damage.
Its juuust out of darius grab range and even if grabbed, Yorick can still take him with Q,W,E thanks to his damage reduction. Darius AoE hit wont be enough to kill the ghouls, especially since they are right on top of him when spawned.

Naughtypie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-16-2012

Its a survival and a farm lane. I for one like nunu against yorick. all you do is consume his healing ghoul, healing yourself up and work on farming while surviving.

Jmaf

08-16-2012

Morde nasus WW naut singed cho..he has counters but there not played top often so no one bothers.Theres more...

sephro

09-04-2012

I like using vlad to counter him, start off fairly passively but after you reach lvl 9 your cdr on your q is so great he cant force you out of lane and you start to counter him pretty hard! Overall i think vlad is one of the stronger top laners!

Dude Im a wizard

09-04-2012

I play Yorick top pretty often, here's what gets me:

1) Early ganks. Yorick has no good escape method, especially before he gets both Q and W. Get him any time he is extended.

2) Jump him when green ghoul is on cooldown (if you are melee). If you see him use it to last hit or harass, it means he won't have it to help him escape if you get up on him.

3) Be patient and farm. Yorick is not so good late game, if you can keep him from bullying you early on and farm safely near your tower, he isn't much of a threat later on.

That being said, when I play as Yorick, the easiest opponents are the ones that play way too safely. Whenever they see a ghoul, they run way far away and lose out on XP and gold. By the time they get back to the minions, another ghoul is there and they run again, and this repeats until they are under leveled and way under farmed.

Nasus is supposed to counter Yorick because he can Q the ghouls for extra power, but I haven't really seen that work too well. The most effective counter I've seen is an agressive Xin Zhao because not even Q and W can get away from him if he decides to dash at you and commit, and it's even worse if they follow tip #2. He can also heal while hitting the ghouls.

Zaurok

09-04-2012

Kayle is a pretty good counter to Yorick. Her Q + E spam really hurts and you can't really escape it unless you level W up first which will make your sustain pretty bad. GL at killing her by yourself. She can push your lane pretty hard and make you last hit under the tower until it falls. Yorick is a terrible pusher unless he burns all of his mana (ever since they nerfed W).

Champs that can harass from range AND push really well are a nightmare for Yorick if they escape the ganks. (which I tend to not get when I play Yorick top)

stevetheking

09-04-2012

Nasus

Farm Q off ghouls

2-shot carries after 30 minutes.

XxxLumberJackxxX

09-04-2012

Why does lolcounter.com say WW is bad vs yorick?
II find WW does very well/can win vs Yorick with minimal help.

themaddscientist

09-04-2012

Many people on this thead have mentioned that Cho'Gath is good against Yorick because of his passive, but it's also worth noting that his passive is activated when he kills the enemy ghouls. You can mitigate any damage he sends your way simply by hitting his ghouls back, and that's not taking into account your cs. I personally love Cho'Gath against most tops, but I like him as a nice counter to Yorick.