Riot, let us zoom the camera out already!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SiIverF0X

09-02-2010

I agree whole heartedly. specially when your on top lane trying to push down the map. cant see 5 ft in front of you. You should always be able to see past your own line of vision. As far as balance. The way it is now always gives an advantage to one player over another. there is no balance

Algia

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2010

I would like an extra zoom level (based on mouse wheel zoom levels)

CanAPanda

09-02-2010

Thank you for the support all, so far maybe if enough respond in a positive manner riot will begin to rethink what the meaning of imbalance is... heh, I guess not being able to attack someone you can't see yet they can see you without them being hidden by jungle/bushes is OP and imbalanced.

CanAPanda

09-02-2010

Hmm, I just played another game and was unlucky enough to be put on purple team, I counted 8 deaths that were caused because I couldn't see 10 feet in front of my champion, Riot I'm getting sick of this please fix the problems in your game.

Solarise

09-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitstrike View Post
This is already possible from a tech perspective, but is likely never to be allowed for reasons of game balance. The camera distance was specifically selected to show you a portion of the battlefield, and it is part of the learning curve of skills you pick up to be able to watch the battlefield with both your view and the mini map. If we let you zoom out, it would change the skill requirements for various tiers of play dramatically.
I've always played games where your screen follows your character so is the same as when you have your camera locked on League of Legends. I just can't get used to the unlocked camera. That doesn't mean I have lack of skills. Players with unlocked camera are in advantage because they are able to use the fully view of their range. Why not just expand the zoom to the maximum view range? This would make it more balanced and I don't see the problem why not? Every character has the same exact view range as you can see on the screenshot in the first post(I mean the yellow circle), even if you increased the zoom we are still in our view range right? It's like you demand us to use the unlocked camera or be a noob and die because of the lack of view.

This is the best game I've played in years but please Riot think about all the people who use locked camera and they all want the same thing: ZOOM INCREASE!

Fat of the Land

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokai Saotome View Post
Ditto. I lose a lot of self-awareness while unlocked; I often lose track of where I am and the enemy creeping up on me. I can understand the benefits of an unlocked camera for those who are able to make use of it , though it should still remain very much an optional choice and not punish players on one team more for not using it than the other.
FYI in unlocked mode pressing the space bar centers your view on your champion. You can also hold it down to keep it locked there indefinitely. Given that I don't see a reason why anyone would ever play locked camera.

However,

The problem isn't in the field of vision but the way the UI is constructed. The bottom section blocks out more of your vision than the top setion (favouring the blue/bottom team as the OP mentioned). Even with unlocked camera the top team has to position their camera to get a proper view angle whereas the bottom team doesn't necessary have this inconvenience. It is an advantage.

I'd honestly prefer UI customization as a solution to this. Then each player can organize their UI in whatever way suits their visual needs. No need for extra zoom range.

wqqqqwrt

09-03-2010

I didn't know people played with locked camera. I assumed after lvl 5 everybody unlocked their camera

CanAPanda

09-04-2010

Like I've said before I've been playing games for 10+ years where my character was always in the middle of my screen and by force of habit my brain wont let me do any different. I'm sure there are many others in the same situation as me.

Best Kimchi Kr

09-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFG View Post
Lolwut?. EVERYONE would be able to zoom out more so how would that affect balance?.
If this is not a balance problem then there's no need to zoom out more. Takes more skill to be able to be map aware. Comparing to dota, you should apreciate what you can see on your screen.

facepalmextreme

09-05-2010

I think the biggest problem with the purple team map complaint is as follows... I play locked and free cam, and a dota veteran so don't bother with the self center viewing ****.

take mid for example

as purple you have an equal opportunity to push mid as blue, but the problem with this is that in order to be able to see the tower, you are pushing, incoming minion waves, and the opponent with a readying stun/slow/knockup you have to suffer a lot more back side viewing than you would with blue, this meaning you can't notice someone coming in from behind as easily. with blue and your camera centered (or close to centered) you can easily see the tower, the player, the oncoming creep waves, and easier awareness of a ganker coming from behind.

one of the more obvious solutions is make the camera more like warcraft 3's was, a bit more zoomed out, and more overhead oriented.

the camera angle is obviously like so \ which is sort of annoying when you're like so /.

more zooming would be nice, but I find that most of the time the current camera is tolerable as purple... except as bot.. I have so much trouble with bot as purple..