Riot, let us zoom the camera out already!

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zoram

12-27-2010

good idea. I have been upset about this issue myself. To fix the issue with the 3v3, it might only be feesable to flip the map to be vertical instead of horizontal. Anyhow, I really would like to zoom out a tiny bit more, and also having this 180 degree flip would be amazing. I have played on a 17 inch screen and 27 inch screen with the same computer. There is no difference really. Unless you are almost blind, seeing what is only 2 feet in front of your face there shouldn't be that bad. Arguing that people with bigger screens have an advantage for this change is pointless, because according to that arguement, they(myself included) have an advantage in the first place, and it would make no difference.

Sir Mavs

12-28-2010

this is why i quit when in the character selection. Im in the purple side. Which is BS

beezo

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruitstrike View Post
This is already possible from a tech perspective, but is likely never to be allowed for reasons of game balance. The camera distance was specifically selected to show you a portion of the battlefield, and it is part of the learning curve of skills you pick up to be able to watch the battlefield with both your view and the mini map. If we let you zoom out, it would change the skill requirements for various tiers of play dramatically.

No offense, but this is so fail.

What about people who have nice, big widescreen monitors who can handle a high resolution? I've watched the streams of players with such monitors and they clearly see about 25% more of the surrounding area than I do on my old boxy CRT.

Giving me the ability to zoom out BALANCES the game, not the opposite.

kebrus

12-29-2010

forget it guys, this has been discussed for months, most probably since the beta, you wont convince them otherwise, the only thing you can convince RIOT to do is to nerf champs, you know, where balance issues don't matter...

plasmatorture

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by How Do I Heal View Post
The fact that there are champs with regular skills that range almost corner-to-corner at the maximum zoom level should be proof enough that the current zoom limit is too low.
this.
Not to mention, some resolutions/set ups DO see farther than others, currently.

It's been a problem since beta. We discussed it then quite a bit, as it used to be something you could change yourself by modifying the .ini file. We even had a poll on it, which had an overwhelming majority that voted we should be able to zoom out more. but they didn't care.

Sounds like they still don't care, even though I bet the majority of the playerbase would be in support of it.

Giving us just enough zoom out to be able to aim a skillshot at it's maximum range in any direction if our champion is in the middle would only serve to make the game more playable and balanced, more fun, and make the playerbase happy. The current level of zoom generates exceedingly large amounts of anti-fun for everybody and offers minimal fun for the only people who benefit from it - gankers who take advantage of bad players with bad map awareness.

fuzzybunny00

12-30-2010

Is it really that hard for all of you to unlock the camera and just learn how to have a little skill? I'm just going to assume that none of you have been playing pc games for very long since that has been a norm for many games for a long time. IE: Warcraft, Age of Empires, Starcraft.

LEARN HOW TO MULTI-TASK

If you can't see, move your camera.

akidakix

12-30-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny00 View Post
Is it really that hard for all of you to unlock the camera and just learn how to have a little skill? I'm just going to assume that none of you have been playing pc games for very long since that has been a norm for many games for a long time. IE: Warcraft, Age of Empires, Starcraft.

LEARN HOW TO MULTI-TASK

If you can't see, move your camera.
Ive been playing pc games now for about 10 years, I have played games such as, CS 1.5 and CS 1.6. Astonia 3, WoW, PW and pretty much every other mmo out there, and I would say I'm pretty good at every game I play at.

I was top10 in my country when I used to play CS 1.6 I was also in the top10 players for Astonia 3, and I was good at other games, however when it comes to LoL the only thing I find hard is the camera view on the purple side, when the camera is locked it feels more comfortable, however I can also play unlocked but it doesn't feel the same and I sometimes struggle with it so I can see the point of view from both sides of the story.

PathogenXD

07-05-2011

I'm going to have to side with those wanting a little more zoom control. It's a significant disadvantage for purple when in the laning phase, especially in mid and top. They can see you with their back to the tower, but for you to see them, you have to move your mouse around at the edge of the screen. You can almost get that sight if you shrink your Ui down to nothing, but you trade that with sight of your stats and health, as the text on them shrinks to nothing. This is a big issue, and I've seen a lot of community support for changing this. Why will you not listen Riot? People have already figured out how to fix it for heaven's sake! You just have to allow it/make it official!

I propose you take a poll of all the dreamhack finalists (if anyone knows how it will affect the balance of the game, it's them) and see what they say. My bet is that they will side with the community.

twigleg2

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-06-2011

Just a little bit more zoom would be nice. A lot of my skill shots stretch off the bottom of the screen, unless I position the camera so my champion is at the very top. If I do this though, It makes it easier for people to gank me from the top.

Goofy C

07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PervertedCrab View Post
Just found this thread and realized something interesting about the logic being used to NOT implement further zooming. My brother has a 2nd computer that his GF uses but it has a crappy monitor whos resolution doesn't get higher than 800x800, while mine goes up to 1440x900, and since I use multiple moniters I can combine them together to get a stupidly wide screen. And when I view his GF's screen while playing LoL I notice just how much less she can see than me on my single screen.

It seems to me that there is already imbalance without the zoom since it seems the resolution determines how much of the map you can see at once. At the very least, they should implement an extended zoom to allow everyone to see how to the same distance regardless of screen resolution thereby equalizing this said imbalance factor.
So, trolling people aside, everyone has their own preferred play style & view.

I personally enjoy playing with a locked-view for melee champions (e.g. Xin, Katarina), but I also regularly scour the map using the mini-map while holding left-mouse button. Off-course you are required to unlock your view if you want to target someone from a distance (regardless of which champion you are). This is a regular occurance for ranged champions (obviously) and for attacking as quickly as possible with a melee champion (e.g. Xin Zhao's Audacious Charge) from a bush, or just going north-south.

There are obvious imbalances related to the 5v5 map (purple team has an obstruced view going south, and useless wall on the top lane), and north-south fighting in general has less visibility (regardless of map). Most modern monitors are widescreen and prefer fighting east-west, locked camera or not.

I don't know what the maximum resolution supported by the game is, they claim it support any monitor. I currently play on my 1920x1200 monitor, though my girlfriend plays on 1368x768 and sees significantly less. I know people that play with 2560x1600 and see even more than I do. Regardless, there needs to be a common zoom, view, display area, whatever for everyone, and not have it depend on your hardware. That is the true undeniable imbalance, locked-camera or not.