Quints

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

WyyrmWood

08-31-2010

Greater Quintessence of Resilience x 3

vs

Greater Quintessence of Fortitude x 3

I know fortitude is popular, almost +100 health, useful in beginning of game.

However, I was looking at resilience, x3 is about 37 armor. This is useful all game. What do you guys think? I've been finding myself laning vs 1 dps and 1 AP guy, and usually get MR first, as it is quite painful.

Corpsestomp

08-31-2010

HP is good against both magic and physical.

WithoutSkill

08-31-2010

37 armor sounds decent. I like the health better tho.

Its all about your few first items. IMO, when going tank you need hp-armor-mr ... and runes can help with that.

I usually have : health quints, MR blues ... so then I buy like dorans shield, MR boots then I build an armor ... or buy Tabis and buy some MR ...

With +37 armor you could buy for example MR boots and a health crystal and have a well rounded startup items.

WyyrmWood

08-31-2010

I play Amumu most of the time now, Nasus once in a while. I find I go for boots first, instead of Doran's. I get that to mercury treads before I buy other stuff.

So armor is nice, especially if I lane against a DPS, which is pretty common these days. If I lane against all Magic, the 100 hp won't help as much against their burst.

I was just wondering if there was a statistical way to compare the two, IE

if facing Yi, his base attack is say, 55 (i dunno, making it up). and I have 37 armor due to quints, and he hits me, how much damage does he do?

I assume 2 hits == 110 dmg with no armor, how much dmg with armor?

WithoutSkill

08-31-2010

At 100 armor, you get 50% dmg reduction. So at level 1 you should be at around 60 armor ? About 30-35% reduction ?

Also, upgrading to merc threads is about 850 gold. For abit more you can get a giant belt first ... I'd favor that ... you can upgrade it later to sunfire. In fact i get the whole sunfire before I finish boots, but maybe that's just me...

WyyrmWood

08-31-2010

30% reduction is nothing to sneeze at early game.

That's an interesting observation Re: boots vs giants belt. you're probably right, it makes more sense to get HP first. I will have to try that.

WithoutSkill

08-31-2010

30% is nice yes. But naked at lvl 1 you have around 20% reduction from base armor, on a tank champ. +37 should def boost it by a good chunk.

However, armor pen runes are very popular and will drop that value if they got em. But either way it will protect you more than not having any armor bonus.