"All Chat" is out of control

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geekweezul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryan View Post
We've all been in a game with smack talkers. Smack talking is part of the game, but it's gone too far. It's crossed the line from playful to offensive and hurtful. When I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is be called an "F-ing N" all night. The ability to talk to the other team during the game adds little value to the game. In almost every game, the only reason somebody addresses something to /all is to be rude or condescending to the other team.

I propose the following:

1) Remove it altogether.

-- We would still be able to talk to the other team after the game. This would remove 90% of the trolling

2) If that's not possible, at least give me an option to disable it.

** Why not report the offensive players? **

I do report people who go overboard, but if this was a strategy that worked, the problem would be getting better and not getting worse

** Why don't you stop qq-ing and toughen up? **

Like I said, smack talk is fine, but in almost every game, there is offensive hateful talk which makes LoL worse for everybody.

** There's an ignore feature, why don't you use it? **

I'd need to use it almost every game. And ignoring someone after they've said something hateful is like closing the barn doors after all the animals have run out.

** But what about the people who follow the Summoner's Code? **

The Summoner's Code is great, but it has no teeth. Instead of punishing people for violations, let's just make it impossible for people to violate it.
So because you don't like allchat it should be removed totally? Screw the people who enjoy allchat...who cares about them, right? It's not like they already have a feature in the game that gives you exactly what you want or anything...

Battou00

08-31-2010

loved the new patch
and i always say that in /all when the enemy starts talking bs

DemonicTrashcan

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calys View Post
I agree about /all chat going to hell. Playful banter is one thing, but theres more hate speak than anything. Do I really need to /ignore enemy EVERY game?
Right, so if having to type out the 7 character /ignore command every game is inconvenient for you, we should just remove all chat all together for everyone.

If you remove all chat, there won't be any more "playful banter." Let people say what they want, I've had legitimate discussions on all chat before with enemies, and sometimes they're just funny as hell. If you don't like what they have to say, /ignore it.

Zenbear

08-31-2010

I haven't really got a whole lot of hateful speech from the enemy team. I see wayyyy more teamates trolling other teamates. If /all was gone I never would've seen the hilarious competitiion between my mate and the enemy about who's character had the bigger rack and than the subsequent banter after I grabbed and used powerfist with blitz on said enemy.

Vichar

08-31-2010

We should keep all chat. We should ban griefers.

turtlejay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryan View Post
** There's an ignore feature, why don't you use it? **

I'd need to use it almost every game. And ignoring someone after they've said something hateful is like closing the barn doors after all the animals have run out.

** But what about the people who follow the Summoner's Code? **

The Summoner's Code is great, but it has no teeth. Instead of punishing people for violations, let's just make it impossible for people to violate it.
Wow, this prevention of speech is censorship, and while a private company has the right to censor what it will inside it's game, the mindset that would like to prevent any and all offensive thought is a scary one.

I'd guess you have a similar stance outside of video games. I do not approve, I'd like you to edit your views on the subject, rather than us having to ignore them. Thanks in advance.