"All Chat" is out of control

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Suryan

08-31-2010

Edit: Wow, I didn't expect this thread to get all the attention that it did, and I'm honored to have Phreak respond!

Many people who responded didn't read through my bullet points, but I'd like to add the following suggestions a bit more clear:

"/ignore enemy" should be the default. This way you have your "freedom of speech" preserved, and I can stay away from the trolling.

To the commenters that suggested I invite this upon myself and I should man up: I'm not talking about friendly smack talk. I'm talking about the blatantly offensive vitriol which is spewed. The LoL interface makes it easy to talk to the enemy team, therefore they make it easy to troll the enemy team.

To everybody who says they have insightful witty banter with the enemy all game: Sure, this happens sometimes, but it's the exception, not the rule.

End Edit

We've all been in a game with smack talkers. Smack talking is part of the game, but it's gone too far. It's crossed the line from playful to offensive and hurtful. When I get home from work, the last thing I want to do is be called an "F-ing N" all night. The ability to talk to the other team during the game adds little value to the game. In almost every game, the only reason somebody addresses something to /all is to be rude or condescending to the other team.

I propose the following:

1) Remove it altogether.

-- We would still be able to talk to the other team after the game. This would remove 90% of the trolling

2) If that's not possible, at least give me an option to disable it.

** Why not report the offensive players? **

I do report people who go overboard, but if this was a strategy that worked, the problem would be getting better and not getting worse

** Why don't you stop qq-ing and toughen up? **

Like I said, smack talk is fine, but in almost every game, there is offensive hateful talk which makes LoL worse for everybody.

** There's an ignore feature, why don't you use it? **

I'd need to use it almost every game. And ignoring someone after they've said something hateful is like closing the barn doors after all the animals have run out.

** But what about the people who follow the Summoner's Code? **

The Summoner's Code is great, but it has no teeth. Instead of punishing people for violations, let's just make it impossible for people to violate it.

Whowhatwhere

08-31-2010

I actually love all chat. I frequently meet interesting people on the opposite team and you can always mute players in game if they are bothering you that much.

EmissaryShadow

Emissary of the League

08-31-2010

/ignore enemy ignores the entire enemy team
I've had some funny discussions with the enemy, and people recognize me from the forums so we chat sometimes. Or they compliment the skin I chose etc.

Phreak

Shoutcaster

08-31-2010
1 of 1 Riot Posts

As Encased said, you can ignore the entire enemy team with /ignore enemy

Edit: And we do receive and act upon reported players for misbehaving.

dissonancy

08-31-2010

Immature kids will always be immature. All Chat is a nice feature, and I'd prefer if they didn't remove it. Instead, put an option to be able to disable all chat.

Twisted

08-31-2010

Op your a women. Man the F up.

Saltic

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suryan View Post
** There's an ignore feature, why don't you use it? **

I'd need to use it almost every game. And ignoring someone after they've said something hateful is like closing the barn doors after all the animals have run out.
i don't see any comparison here............
if your super emotional and get your feelings hurt by other players trolling, use the ignore feature

Calys

08-31-2010

I agree about /all chat going to hell. Playful banter is one thing, but theres more hate speak than anything. Do I really need to /ignore enemy EVERY game?

hightech

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2010

The ignore feature works perfectly, no changes needed.

hightech

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calys View Post
I agree about /all chat going to hell. Playful banter is one thing, but theres more hate speak than anything. Do I really need to /ignore enemy EVERY game?
If you do need to /ignore enemy EVERY game, maybe the problem is on your end.