Tips to laning vs. Garen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XaXa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2010

I've been playing Garen since he was one of the buggiest, and bad champions in the game, and I just wanted to share a few tips for laning against him.

Tip1 : If you're laning vs. Garen you want to rush boots after your starting item, if not buying it to start for laning vs. him. You should finish building your boots to 2 or 3 asap.

Why? : Because the only way he can get you in his judgement is movement. Having a higher movement speed causes it to be harder for him to spin close to you, while at the same time he loses health to minion aggro.

Tip2 : When chasing Garen do NOT follow him into a bush, remember that he can basically knock you down to nothing pretty soon. Wait outside of the brush until he exits to attempt to run, or fight back or allow your Tankier lanemate to scout.

Why? : You never check a bush with Garen in it, due to his massive damage early game, you usually end up dead when chasing him into a bush.

Tip3 : When attempting to chase Garen or Run away from him, don't slow him until his ACTIVATES judgement, or until it is off.

Why? : Judgement will clear the slow, and he will keep spinning at your face.

Tip4 : Recall when your Low, unless you have potions, because even If you have Flash, Ghost, or a Built-in blink remember that they will silence you before the inevitable Silence, Spin, Ultimate combo.

Tip5 : For all you elixir lovers I just wanted to remind you, you cannot use fortitude elixirs cannot be used when silenced. It caused me to die a few times laning vs. Garen.

Tip5.5 :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utensil View Post
All solid advice, but I'd like to add one.

Ward the bushes, harass.
- Warding bushes can help during laning, just make sure he doesn't see where you warded because Judgement can hit wards.

PS: Tip 1 is very crucial. You can notice many Garens start with a Boot so you can't escape their judgement. You need movement ASAP to be able to escape judgement with health, or not get caught in it. If he starts with a Dorans shield etc. TAKE ADVANTAGE! The higher you movement is compared to his, the better chance you have of survival

PSS: I was going to add purchase some armour for some extra defense, but That doesn't really counter due to hard early penetration.

Tl;dr - Don't scout bushes, invest in some movement to escape some of judgements damage, slow after he spins or when it's off, You can't flash or blink/ghost when your silenced so recall.

If this doesn't help you out a bit, just wait until riot fixes him

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotJeffJew View Post
We understand that Garen is very strong right now and Morello is looking into potential fixes. We're actually quite proud of Garen - he's a hybrid tank / dps that contributes, but right now he is probably too good at both.

Kama Toki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-31-2010

His base damage needs to be halved and his scaling needs to be doubled.

Tada! Garen fixed!

Ozy

08-31-2010

So he's a naturally tanky hero with nearly unlimited laning potential and can also kill you/force you to B in two abilities.

It's like Yurnero or Swiftblade on steroids. He doesn't even need a babysit.

Utensil

08-31-2010

All solid advice, but I'd like to add one.

Ward the bushes, harass.

XaXa

08-31-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama Toki View Post
His base damage needs to be halved and his scaling needs to be doubled.

Tada! Garen fixed!
I agree completely. He has way too much damage when built as a tank, and much too little when built AD/Crit. Until fixes occur, I'm just trying to help the community with a few things I found that annoyed and made it harder for me to slay people as Garen.

Twisted

08-31-2010

Very good info that DOES work against garen. I would like to refute the ward idea. Garens spin kills wards, and it is easy to tell if one has been placed.

XaXa

08-31-2010

Added Utensil + Twisted comments, if you know some tips don't be shy to share!

Utensil

08-31-2010

Depends on who you are really. If you're someone with a skillshot or an AOE that you can place anywhere then he might be unsuspecting of a ward. But you're right, it would be noticeable if it weren't skillshot based.

The Jacobian

08-31-2010

When laneing against Garen I actually am fairly aggressive. This works somewhat on a meta (OMG METAGAME) level, in that Garen players expect you to flee before him, but it also just works. If you keep him harassed he usually just sits back and uses his passive. If you punish him every time he uses judgement (the one he's chasing runs while your partner unloads on him) he'll be really out of his element.

That said, if your lane partner is ******ed this won't work because they'll die.

Oh, one last tip, when he yells, that means he's charging you. Get the **** back.

YYZed

08-31-2010

Hey Guys.
If you see a team like Pantheon, Garen, Gragas, Ashe, Annie.
Assume that cloth armor will help alot.
Early armor = Less Garen early game damage = Non fed garen.

Actually believe me when I say get a new runepage with Flat Armor Seals set up to counter garen.