New to Ahri. Tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Black Krow

06-29-2012

Any point in getting early MR against any AP mid?

As in, would be it be a waste to go Abyssal early?

yodaz12

06-29-2012

A lot of this depends on the player. Personally, I prefer maxing my q almost always and staying further back against gap closing chars. A lot of them will out dmg you even maxing w, and if your not good with ahri, you'll end up spamming your spells trying to make up the difference when their close. However, it definitely depends on play style. If you think you can kill them for closing that gap and the best way to max dmg there is to go w, go w, 100%.

For me, if i'm laning against someone i know i will lose to, i push lane as much as possible and roam. So in those cases, q works best. For the times where I can't do that for fear of jungler or something else, and I want to sit back and farm, I still max q b/c i prefer to stay farther back. Long story short, I usually do not trust my ability to out dmg the op when it comes to actually exchanging dmg, so i usually don't go w. Also with a lot of gap closing chars, i find its more important to be able to successfully poke them or hit them hard on their way back. For example, Kass i am not concerned about at all, even maxing w second i still get more than enough dmg on him coming to me where it almost evens out. Furthermore, he can't do anything after his combo, so u really have to be aggressive on him afterwards, which is where the q helps since he can get back pretty quickly once the ult is up. If you can successfully agro him on the way back, you will always out dmg him.

As far as the runes issue and magic resist. Its up to you. Imo, better players know when to go in and when to avoid fights. As a result, you capitalize more on dmg than you do on resists, since dmg = your ability to influence the game, resist = your ability to minimize mistakes. Does this mean that you shouldn't go resist at all in any situation? Obviously not, and where the line for the tradeoff is depends on the player and their play style. With that said, I would not go abyssal early game unless the op is nearly all ap. On other chars it can be worthwhile to get one cheap item early game to help with the lane and finish it off as a third or fourth completed item. But with ahri, i'd rather just play safe and farm early and then go for ganks mid game (its what you do, if you don't want to do it, there are probably chars that do what your trying to do better). To be clear, a first kill on a guy gets you 300 gold. Minions generally get you 20-25 gold early, so a kill at that point is worth roughly 12-13 minions kills. The amount for killing the guy decreases by 9% (the jump for the first is different, look at the wiki for exact numbers) until the guy gets a kill, at which point it resets. So any time your thinking about going for a kill, you should ask yourself, is this worth the cs i'm missing out on immediately and (possibly) have to go back to base early? If you have to seriously consider it, the answer is usually no. However, its a game of attrition, so if you can force him back and stay in lane, or kill him, get some cs (push lane all the way), then go to base and get back around the same time he does, its definitely worth it.

In the case where i just want to farm, you should see if they will push the lane. If they do, keep it right in front of turret but not actually at the turret and DO NOT PUSH THE LANE BACK FROM THERE, even when they are mia, at least until mid when you can roam. This takes some practice to get right but its pretty easy once you get the hang of it. At that point, they basically can't go in on you without getting hit by the turret, and if they are farming as well, your jungler should have an easy gank since they are so over extended. For the record, this is why you should not push lanes if you can't push them all the way (which resets the lane). Against some characters, if your jungler doesn't gank, this can be a problem since if they push the lane from there, you have nothing to fall back on. You should make sure to identify if your jungler will gank in those situations early on and let that affect your play, since its hard (not impossible) to even up the score if he doesn't gank. If the op doesn't push the lane, I still try to stay out of his range and just farm. Poke when he goes for cs, and just make him hurt when he goes in to deal dmg to me. My goal here is not to dominate the lane and make him underfed, but to get as much gold as i can for a strong mid game. A lot of mid chars are only useful for there utility end game, and generally do less or the same dmg as bruisers at end game, so it usually doesn't matter too much if they are just as fed as you; especially if you can make the rest of their team not fed by roaming mid game

3lectrichead

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krow View Post
Any point in getting early MR against any AP mid?

As in, would be it be a waste to go Abyssal early?
If your going against a 100 to 0 burst champ like Viegar, LeBlanc or Annie it can help. Rather than rush Abyssal I would go Boots/Chalice in those situations but its up to you.