New to Ahri. Tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Black Krow

06-27-2012

I've played Ahri when she was free, but that was a long time ago. I'm lvl 30 now and have been able to play Wukong, Fizz and Akali and have shifted my attention to Ahri so I have a ranged mid.

I have the masteries 21/0/9 but I'm not sure about my runes.

I have 9x MP marks, and 9x Flat AP glyphs and 3 AP quints. I'm not sure about what seals to use.

I've seen guides calling for HP/per lvl seals, Mana/per 5sec per lvl, Mana per 5 sec, and armor seals.

Which seals would be more effective/useful for me?

Any tips on how to use Ahri to get the most out of her? It's a little hard to adjust from melee to ranged for me, but I've gotten better.

But tips are always nice.

NatureCreature

06-27-2012

I use flat Mp5 seals. I know they're surpassed by per level seals reasonably early on, but not before you make it to 6 (by which point I can afford items to boost mana regen if needed) and it stops you running dry before your first recall.

I also tend not to spam my spells - I just last hit mostly with AA, and if I'm going to poke the opponent I try to send my ball through a minion wave to do so. Remember your ball returns to you even if you're moving, so you can get a curve or triangle shape going to hit whatever you need. If I've poked successfully enough times, I'll dive onto them with charm, E+Q and ignite (and ult if I have it already).

In terms of items, I start with dorans, rush revolver (the SV with your passive gives you great sustain - a well placed Q in team fights can even save you at times), then sorc shoes (if you're up against good SS champ, may want to get the boots first), then deathcap and rylai's. After that, whatever you need really. I usually go void staff and then lich bane or a defensive item if I need it.

With Ahri I've learnt that your ult is far more reliable escape than trying to land your charm (that and it's single target), so be a lot more careful when it's down. As for teamfights, I just poke until I see someone low enough and then burst the hell out of them. Also, anything that stops Ahri dashing about the place is death - she has to keep moving so snares are usually just as bad as stuns.

Aleisa

06-27-2012

Watch this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4Ykz3anEMw

yodaz12

06-27-2012

You really need to understand ahri's role in a team to not be terrible with her. Your not a carry. Your not a tank. Your not a bruiser. You don't even really have the burst to kill a squishy from full health (sometimes).

What you do have is the ability to clean up, poke, and initiate incredibly well. Make sure you are letting your team do the work and your just supplementing the damage/making sure no one gets away/making sure the op carry is doing as little as possible.

I'd suggest avoiding the revolver all together. The sustain does help a lot but rylai's lets u kite + better gank when you start roaming, which is usually soon after you get your ult. If your good with her, you'll get all the sustain you need from your passive imo. Also, a lot of times u can get an easy kill mid right when you hit lvl 6, since your ult greatly expands your range and chances are they are at half health to begin with and overextended relative to your increase ranged. Make sure to try and set up for that around lvl5 if you can.

I'd deff go hp/lvl on seals. Ahri really should get every blue possible after the first. Being able to spam spells lets u push lane and just gank all over the map, where not having blue you would be much more constrained. The mana seals just don't make up for not having blue, and you don't need them when you do have blue. Ignoring the mp problems, ahri needs to survive bursts in order to mid well. The hp/lvl does that, and its a noticeable difference to people who do not have them.

I would also suggest using per lvl glyphs, they even out with the flat at lvl6 and are 3 times better at lvl18 (difference of 20ap +bonus from deathcap). Its small compared to total but nothing to sneeze at. I find the extra dmg early game doesn't really help too much, its deff noticeable but too small to make the difference usually compared to the per lvl. Your also unlikely to get into a serious fight early on or have the opportunity to go for a kill, especially against good players.

I agree with nature about starting doran's though, champ dependent. It helps keep you in lane longer and survive burst early.

ezPK XS PWR

06-27-2012

I like the mana regen/sec seals on my ahri..
Less need for multiple doran's in order to support your mana pool...

Note on the blue. Since jungler's normally take this, it's not always there for you :*(

Black Krow

06-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaz12 View Post
You really need to understand ahri's role in a team to not be terrible with her. Your not a carry. Your not a tank. Your not a bruiser. You don't even really have the burst to kill a squishy from full health (sometimes).

What you do have is the ability to clean up, poke, and initiate incredibly well. Make sure you are letting your team do the work and your just supplementing the damage/making sure no one gets away/making sure the op carry is doing as little as possible.

I'd suggest avoiding the revolver all together. The sustain does help a lot but rylai's lets u kite + better gank when you start roaming, which is usually soon after you get your ult. If your good with her, you'll get all the sustain you need from your passive imo. Also, a lot of times u can get an easy kill mid right when you hit lvl 6, since your ult greatly expands your range and chances are they are at half health to begin with and overextended relative to your increase ranged. Make sure to try and set up for that around lvl5 if you can.

I'd deff go hp/lvl on seals. Ahri really should get every blue possible after the first. Being able to spam spells lets u push lane and just gank all over the map, where not having blue you would be much more constrained. The mana seals just don't make up for not having blue, and you don't need them when you do have blue. Ignoring the mp problems, ahri needs to survive bursts in order to mid well. The hp/lvl does that, and its a noticeable difference to people who do not have them.

I would also suggest using per lvl glyphs, they even out with the flat at lvl6 and are 3 times better at lvl18 (difference of 20ap +bonus from deathcap). Its small compared to total but nothing to sneeze at. I find the extra dmg early game doesn't really help too much, its deff noticeable but too small to make the difference usually compared to the per lvl. Your also unlikely to get into a serious fight early on or have the opportunity to go for a kill, especially against good players.

I agree with nature about starting doran's though, champ dependent. It helps keep you in lane longer and survive burst early.
I took your advice about the Hp/lvl seals and they were pretty helpful. Was able to last a little longer in lane, so long as I remembered not to spam my spells.

Currently using flat glyphs, but saving for lvl glyphs so I can try it out.

I did skip revolver and went straight to rylai's.

Now, should I max my Q or my W? Which would be more effective? I'm guessing my W since it automatically goes straight for the closest champ and doesn't require aiming?

Edit: I just had a match with Sion mid and maxed out my W first. It seemed like a good choice as he was barely able to get minions unless he ran in with his shield. I used W when he came too close and used Q to keep him away and used E with R once I got it.
Now, I don't know if this was a pro Sion or not, so that may have something to do with it. Don't remember his score unfortunately.

WildLeon

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krow View Post
I took your advice about the Hp/lvl seals and they were pretty helpful. Was able to last a little longer in lane, so long as I remembered not to spam my spells.

Currently using flat glyphs, but saving for lvl glyphs so I can try it out.

I did skip revolver and went straight to rylai's.

Now, should I max my Q or my W? Which would be more effective? I'm guessing my W since it automatically goes straight for the closest champ and doesn't require aiming?

Edit: I just had a match with Sion mid and maxed out my W first. It seemed like a good choice as he was barely able to get minions unless he ran in with his shield. I used W when he came too close and used Q to keep him away and used E with R once I got it.
Now, I don't know if this was a pro Sion or not, so that may have something to do with it. Don't remember his score unfortunately.
Usually i max W against champs that are Melee with blinks (kassadin/fizz) or those that get close to do damage (leblanc with her W) this allows me to get more damage sooner than waiting for my Q to come back. If your laning against someone with higher range, who tends to stand back farther and not come closer for burst (annie/veigar) then max Q and W. I usualy dont level E much unless i see that who im versing has a skill shot that is blocked by minions and requires them to get a clear shot to hit me (morgana snare). This makes me landing my E easy.

If your versing someone with high early low mana harrass (karthus) get boots and pots. If your versing someone with a high amount of damage with a moderate harrass (leblanc) then get boots and pots. This allows you to sustain some of thier early burst without going OOM trying to sustain with passive.

If its a farm war(annie), go dorians this will give u some mana regen to try and push them off the lane and the health to stay in lane longer. Always try and keep them at about 1/2 hp. This allows for quick kills at level 6 with a solid rotation of skills. (I usually W+R on top of them E+R [R towards your turret, this means they will be taunted to you away from theirs] followed by a Q+R+W near them with ignite.) Also remember that you dont have to go the FULL RANGE of your ultimate. If needed ultimate in the same place you are standing (i do this when veigar puts his stun ring around the outside of me expecting me to try and ult out of it.)

For runes i go

Red- mPenx9
Yellow-(depends on who im versing) Mana/lvl/per5 or HPperLvl
Glyph- APper lvl
Quints-Flat AP

Masteries i go

21/0/9 taking butcher to help last hit
OR
21/9/0 taking MR and HP/lvl+flat hp start.

Item build is usually doran's ring(or boots+3)+revolver(if ur getting fed or have easy lane skip it and go rylai's or sorc shoes) Sorc shoes+rylai's+rabadon's+abyssal staff(or void if they have lots of tankier peeps)+zhonya's and then will of the ancients.

My usual skill max is R>Q>W>E. But it changes based on what is needed.

Ahri has low cooldowns which makes for some nice sustained DPS and she has 3 AoE abilities. Dance on the edge of the battle throwing Qs Ws and Rs around. Someone gets too close to your carry and E them to you.

Vizzlepeez

06-28-2012

Max q first, it has true damage in it lol

WildLeon

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizzlepeez View Post
Max q first, it has true damage in it lol
Which means absolutely nothing if they are so close to you that they can dodge the return hit.

Vizzlepeez

06-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildLeon View Post
Which means absolutely nothing if they are so close to you that they can dodge the return hit.
Which just means u dont know how to combo correctly or understand ahri's mechanics in general. U send the taunt then the q immediately after and ur problem is solved. And since ur only talking about if they are close u are forgetting the useful of the q as a high damage poke and as a almost guaranteed damage if someone is running. And let us not forget it has the best healing capabilities for her passive and its usefulness in farming. So um stfu