Yelled at for playing too defensively

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lenox007

03-25-2014

I'm looking for advice here. Do I need to play significantly more aggressive? Am I playing this game too defensively? I think I've seen it called turtling? My priorities in a match starting from highest priority are as follows (This is mostly for the laning phase and mid-game. My priorities change for the late-game/teamfight stage):

1. Not feed
  2. Not die
  3. Get good farm
  4. Obtain objectives - turrets, dragon, etc.
  5. Prevent teammate deaths
  6. Get kills/assists

Some LoL players prioritize getting kills above everything (because it's more fun for them?), and while they might do just that and level and get gold faster than everyone, my experience has been that they end up also feeding the enemy team which makes it so our team is left behind in farm/gold/exp and is ineffective. An example of this is having a level 18 on our team who is 10/10/2, the entire enemy team at level 16/17, and the other four on our team at level 15. My experience is that this always ends in a loss followed by one raging person with lots of kills but also many deaths.

For a specific example, take a look at my 25-minute Garen loss:
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/5...hes/1321478355

I went 0/0/0, was doing normal top turret defense, last hitting minions, destroying the top turret, and roaming to other lanes to help later on. This is the most extreme example of defensive k/d/a play. Feel free to look through the rest of my matches to get a different picture. But I can assure you I wasn't sitting there doing nothing as evidenced by my "damage done." The only turret we destroyed was taken by me, solo.

0/ 0/0 - 5.5k/101 CS - Garen (top)
3/ 9/2 - 6.1k /56 CS - Tryndamere (jungler)
0/12/0 - 4.2k /46 CS - Nidalee (mid)
4/ 9/2 - 6.1k /58 CS - Ashe (adc)
1/ 9/3 - 4.8k /30 CS - Annie (support)

Tryndamere started the raging due to his failed ganks. The raging snowballed from there. My question is, who is in the right here? Should the four of them have played more like me and fought under turrets, etc.? Or should I have followed my team around more and carelessly engaged in team fights in the hopes of winning some and pissing off less people? Some people get as mad by playing it safe as they do by feeders. Or are both strategies viable, but the team either has to be all defensively or all aggressive? I was definitely not on the same page as my team in this game. Typically I find it to be 1-2 aggressive players, 1-2 normal, and then me sitting between normal and defensive play. When I have teams that play smart/defensively, we win. I've rarely seen wins where it's all aggressive. I generally queue with 1-2 friends, but never a full 5-person team.

My record is 109-129.

AirOwl07

03-25-2014

My advice, don't worry about it. I am a bit of a passive player too and not dieing/feeding and taking objectives are above "getting kills" for me too. Now that isn't to say that when it's time to group up and team fight I won't do my part but I'm not going to follow my 1/4/2 jungler to check on drag when the whole enemy team is up and missing. It's just your play style. my advice find some friends to play with on here. ^.^ they make everything better

Hetchy

03-25-2014

As long as you feel like your are truly doing your best to help your team win the game, I don't think you could be wrong. It's not unreasonable to play defensively if you're still getting objectives and farming the minions.

Refraining from rushing into an unwarded enemy jungle to chase a player is good defensive play.

Maybe an example of playing too defensively is when you catch someone 2v1, have them nearly killed, you're max health but ally is nearly dead, and you both just run away. I mention this because it's happened to me--I'm running because I'm dying, by why is my ally running when 2 AA's would kill the enemy and save me? I'd think there the player with high health needs to finish off the enemy or at least put pressure on him to not gank your ally without being killed himself.

Isamichi

03-25-2014

Howdy linux;

Gonna be straight, i only glanced through all of it. the only way i can tell is to actually join in on your matches and observe you. That way, i can tell you straight up if you're playing it right or could improve.

Notes from what i read:
-Defensive play is ok. Then endgoal, if you want to win the match, is to pick up advantages for your team and remove them from the enemy team. sometimes the BEST way to get an advantage IS to play defensive. sometimes it isnt.
- if a majority of your team is dying a buttload, then probably the game is a loss but not your fault. Doesn't mean you can't improve from it tho. dont beat yourself too hard on that one.
-Mind you that your play & skill isn't the only thing to factor in. you gotta factor your team's relative skill (and the only way to figure that out is to watch them) and figure out the enemy team's skill. Sometimes, they're just better... and everyone on your team is decent. nothing you can do but learn.
-There's always a balance in aggression. (/puts on asian look) Think like how water acts: you pressure it somewhere and it just slips somewhere else, but if you make room for it, it'll flow towards you and push you. Balance aggression with defense. Defend while someone else takes objectives. Take objectives while they defend.

Add me and i'll see how you're doing. Message me when you want to play a few matches.
Main account: Isamichi
Smurf lvl 22 account: AppleGeladdict

MurOllavan

03-25-2014

Objectives should be moved to number 2 at least. But if you're not dying you're playing better than if you were 8/8 correct. At the same time recognizing kill potential is an important skill.

Faustian Echoes

03-25-2014

Don't worry about it. Some people freak out if you shy away from a skirmish knowing you will die, because you didn't go in and die with them.

Darkwatch Kappa

03-25-2014

Don't worry about your teammates at all until you get into ranked. Focus on your own game and getting yourself better. In my opinion, if you NEVER play super aggressive, you won't learn a champions limits fully, which is really important.

OhBoyItsaMegaman

03-25-2014

You want to learn how to play defensive first, but ultimately in order to do well you need to know how and when to be aggressive too. Especially during the times when your champion is strong.

Faustian Echoes

03-25-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulpix View Post
Don't worry about your teammates at all until you get into ranked. Focus on your own game and getting yourself better. In my opinion, if you NEVER play super aggressive, you won't learn a champions limits fully, which is really important.
I think that is bad advice. It's like saying it's ok to be a ****ty teammate because they don't matter unless they are ranked. My advice is to treat every game like it is ranked, but not if you're going to explode and be toxic over it.

Voidizarre

03-25-2014

My horrible greediness made me like this.

1. Get kills/assists
2. Prevent teammate death (2 and 3 depend on whether who has a higher killing spree; sacrifice for that person)
3. Not die
4. Not feed (feed is listed lower since you don't really feed if you don't die)
5. Objectives (they're boring)
6. Farm (2x more boring)

For that, my monster and minion kills suffered a lot. Even when my Takedowns (14k) are Diamond and my Wins (300) are Platinum, my CS is still Silver (49k). Of course it's in another server, but still, it's bad to look at when your CS is 2 levels below your Wins.

So I suggest you be balanced in defensive/aggressive play. Take the chance (without getting damage as much as possible) to attack every time your opponent comes to last hit while keeping your CS high.