CD-Reduction/TBRW Spam Zilean Guide!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

poporo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-03-2009

Zilean Guide v0.1

I want to start off by saying that I've never played DoTA or anythign remotely close to LoL, so if you see
any adjustments you can make in my guide- please do so. This build is a CD-reduction Zilean build. I know
not everyone plays like me, but I've found that CD-reduction with Zilean can get very overpowering

1. Zilean, Chronokeeper.
-Zilean's a great support/pushing champion that can both do decent damage, help pushing, as well as harass enemies in a lane. Heightened learning allows for your team to level quickly early. Time Bomb coupled with Rewind will help you stack damage on opponents. Time Warp and Chrono Shift allow for Zilean to effectively push for a kill, or escape from a losing battle. Exploiting CD-reduction allows Zilean to chain cast spells.

2. Abilities
Heightened Learning: Increases Experience gain of all allied champions by 8%.
-A nifty passive that helps your team level faster

Time Bomb: Places a bomb on any unit, allied or enemy, which detonates after 4 seconds, dealing area of effect damage
-Nice ranged spell with time delay that can catch an enemy off gaurd. Something that is very often
overlooked is the ability to place this spell on yourself or allies. If laning with a melee champion,
cast time bomb on them and as they rush in, it'll explode on nearby enemies. Time Bomb does NOT
cause damage to allied units.

Rewind: Zilean can prepare himself for future confrontations, reducing the cooldowns of all his abilities.
-Reduces all of Zilean's CD's by 10 seconds. Given Time Bomb's 10 second CD, this is perfect to stack
Time Bomb on an enemy, or cast it on yourself/ally as well as an enemy. Applying a Time Bomb to an
existing one will cause the first one to go off, while the second one retains its 4second countdown.

Time Warp: Zilean bends time around any unit, decreasing an enemies movement speed or increasing an allied
units movment speed for a short time
-This is by far the most utility ability that Zilean has. When pursuing an enemy for a kill, you can choose
to speed up a teammate or slow down the enemy. Slowing down the enemy seems to be more effective, as your
entire team can catch up to him rather than one person pursuing solo (plenty of b rage). Or if you're
losing a fight bad, use this to gtfo.

Chrono Shift (ult): Zilean places a protecctive time rune on an allied champion, teleporting the champion back
in time if he takes lethal damage.
-Zilean's ult is pretty much a bubble. For 15 seconds, if the champion with Chrono Shift is killed, they
will instantly recover 500/750/1,000 (+3/AP) HP. This is great for getting away from being ganked, or a nice
safety if you see a ryze/chogath/twitch.

1. Masteries
For our masteries, we want to concentrate on CD reduction, mana regen, and ability power (AP).
-OFFENSE
Archmage's Savvy (3/3): Increases your AP by 0.60 per level
Cripple (1/1): Filler for the next mastery
Sorcery (4/4): Reduces the CD of all your abilities by .75% per level
Archaic Knowledge (1/1): Your magical spells penetrate 15% of the target's MR
-DEFENSE
Mender's Faith (1/1): Early level filler for heal spell, otherwise not needed.
-UTILITY
Preserverence (3/3): Raises your total health and mana regen by 2% (+1% per level)
Spatial Accuracy (1/1): Filler for the next mastery
Expanded Mind (4/4): Increases your Champion's total mana by 1.25% per level
Meditation (3/3): Increases Mana Regeneration by 0.33 sec per level

2. Abilities leveling in order:
Time Bomb
Rewind
Time Warp/Time Bomb
Chrono Shift (when ready)
Finish Time Warp/Time Bomb

3. Runes
Will finish later

4. Spells
Teleport
Flash
Clarity
Revive

5. Items
Health Pot: Just in case you get into a tight spot
Fiendish Codex: First solid item. Decent +AP, mp5, and CD reduction
MR/AP Boots (depending on opponents): If you're going against casters, get the MR. Otherwise, AP.
Frozen Heart: About now you should be mid-game, some +armor and mana is nice. More CD reduction

Most of my games end here. But other items to consider:
chalice of Harmony: mp5, mr
abyssal scepter: ap, mr, enemy mr-
deathfire grasp: ap, mr, aoe enemy dmg
glacial shroud: mana, armor, cd reduction
soul shroud: hp, mp5, cd reduction
nashor's tooth: upgrade fiendish codex- more AP, mp5 and cd reduction
zhonya's ring: mana, ap

6. Strategy
-Start of the game with a Meki Pendant and a health pot. The Meki Pendant is part of the Fiendish Codex, and it's a nice thing to have some mana regen to start off with. You should invest a point into Time Bomb. Early game situation is very similar solo and laning- utilize time bombs on creeps. These can be friendly AND non-friendly, so pick your targets wisely. You'll be able to harass melee characters early on as you can time bomb their own creeps and have the aoe affect the opponent champion as well. Good laning partners would be tanks (that you can put Time Bomb on), or other ranged non-caster classes (Ashe, Corki, Gangplank)

-Around 435 gold, you'll want to port back and pick up an Amplifying Tome. This will add 20AP- which helps your time bomb farming dmg out alot. Playstyle is the same as before- harass opponents with Time Bomb. Rewind is very mana costly at this point, so try reserving most of your mana pool for Time Bombs.

-As your team starts pushing, begin utilizing Time Warp to slow the enemy or boost your ally for those finishing hits. Coupling Time Warp and Chrono Shift can get you distance from ranged poisoners like teemo and twitch. You don't want to Chrono Shift while the opponent's RIGHT next to you.

-By the time you complete your Fiendish Codex and Frozen Heart (I usually go for mp5 and more cd reduction afterwards with nashor's and soul shroud), you'll start to see that Time Bomb's cooldown will start nearing a mere 6-8 seconds. Rewind's 80 mana cost won't hurt you as much anymore, and you will find yourself chaining time bomb's and rewinds over and over- to the point that you can constantly time bomb without stopping. Most opponents at this point favor running from you, as Zilean has amazing survivability and juking moves thanks to time warp. You'll aslo find that Time Warp is rarely on cooldown, thanks to Rewind spam for Time Bomb. Your Ultimate's cooldown is also negligible at this point.

-I find that I can survive in group ganks, soloing, pushing/farming, 1v2's, and even 1v3's sometimes. My spell cast order is usually:
Time Bomb
Rewind
Time Bomb
Time Warp
Rewind
Time Bomb
Rewind
Chrono Shift (if necessary)
Time Bomb
Time Warp
Rewind
etc. etc. (there's a pattern!)
Alot of times, you'll see yourself chasing down your opponents using this combo. I usually apply Time Warp to myself the first round through, and then Time Warp to the opponent the second time around since Frozen Heart usually slows them a little bit.

7. Results
-Regardless if I win the game or not, I've found myself doing pretty well with this Zilean build. I get hella more assists than I do kills, but my record is average around 5-5-20 per game. If I'm lucky, 10-3-15, if it's a bad game, then maybe 3-6-12 or something. I'm currently playing with a laptop trackpad, so I Time Warp allies more than I do myself since I can't click too accurately for kills.

8. Criticism
-If you think you can help my guide out, suggest strategies, items, etc. then feel free

AsherZaine

01-09-2010

Well I really only need to correct you on a few things. 40percent is the max cd you can have and if you do 9 in offense tree and 21 utility thats 10 percent and you can get 5 percent atleast with runes so any more cd after frozen heart is a waste of money. I do recommend ap items but archmages staff would be best cuz you use abilities like crazy and go through mana like crazy but you did do it right you made your first cd priority which is good gj on guide

AsherZaine

01-09-2010

I might suggest getting rid of codex as main item frozen heart is all you need if you did your masteries and runes right. Philospher stone is a good choice hp regen and mana and plus 5 gold every 10 seconds combined with greed thats 600 gold every 10 minutes so it kinda adds up but anyway keep up the good work

UrgotSwained

01-25-2011

Never played him, but this guide makes him look interesting for sure. Now I am a big melee fan, so I am now wondering who the most underestimated melee toon is? Possibly Jax?

Craixis

01-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsherZaine View Post
Well I really only need to correct you on a few things. 40percent is the max cd you can have and if you do 9 in offense tree and 21 utility thats 10 percent and you can get 5 percent atleast with runes so any more cd after frozen heart is a waste of money. I do recommend ap items but archmages staff would be best cuz you use abilities like crazy and go through mana like crazy but you did do it right you made your first cd priority which is good gj on guide
You can actually get 15% CDR at level 18 with Runes if you use Quints/Blues...
Zilean is one of the few people who can do something like that, due to his increased EXP gain and how much he relies on CDR as a stat end game vs early game (once rewind is level 5, and time ward is level 3... all hell breaks loose in teamfights).

Sentient 6

01-26-2011

A Zilean guide that includes neither RoA or Archangels? Also I would suggest CDR boots over MaPen.