Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Racists on LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Voluug

06-25-2012

1.- First and foremost, America is a continent, not a country.
2.- Brazil has lag issues. As most of SA, actually.
3.- LoL needs a SA server. The West EU Server is even more racist that NA, so its not an option.
4.- Don't generalize, there are some SA player that are pretty good, myself included.
5.- I laugh at them when they call me Mexican, when I am not even from there, and wonder if they even know that the country where I am from exists, since not many of them had geography classes apparently XD

Edit: Of course, basic english is mandatory.

No Horn Unicorn

06-25-2012

just pretend you have no clue what their saying and go like
huehuehue jajajaja no hablo english or whatever.

b0stekk

06-25-2012

Get used to it bro, im mexican and trust me, there is no other nationality in LOL which is most hated than mine but guess what, i dont freaking care, because i know they're wrong and im better than they just because i respect each country.
They're just trolls being trolls, ignore them, report them if u feel like and play the next match as if nothing happened, we live in a xenophobic century and u cant change that, not even with a thread in LOL (x u will be happier when u understand that!

Cladun

06-25-2012

I personally hate it. I was playing this match with a Fiora that wrote something in another language. That our Panth decided start hating on that player. Every time Fiora died Panth would say, "Mexicans are complete *******." Then when Fiora died again he would to all chat and say,"We are going to lose... We have a Mexican playing." Funny thing I could tell the language wasn't spanish or anything like that.

Riot should add a option to report specifically of racism.

B SIDE

06-25-2012

Last I checked, "Brazilian" isn't really a race. It's a word we use to describe people from Brasil. And from what I know of Brasil, the place has a remarkable variety of ethnic diversity- primarily a mix of Portuguese (white), Native American (brown), and African (black) heritage.

There are significant cultural differences between people from different geographical areas around the world, and little to no difference between people of different ethnic groups. If one were to say "Brazilians are arrogant chauvinists", that's not racist, per se. For Americans, who are typically exposed to Brazilian culture only by watching their MMA fighters and soccer players, this stereotype might be common enough. That doesn't mean it's an accurate description of Brazilians as a whole, nor is it truly racist.

By contrast, if one were to say "Brown skinned people are criminals, so I don't like them", that's as racist as it gets, and is not only false but also hurtful and destructive.

IMHO "Hue hue hue" and the like isn't racist, it's just xenophobic, irrational, juvenile banter. On it's own, it's not harassment, but a broader pattern of harassment may contain this kind of jab. But it's up to you how to deal with it.

Jacob Grimm

06-25-2012

It's funny, I am American and I get bullied and called racist names by the Spanish Speaking people, it seems all of south america is nothing but a bunch of racist... or is it not OK to generalize an entire people by the actions of a few?

Gentle08

06-25-2012

It's okay, I get bullied for being Canadian. Americans are ignorant ****s who don't know anything of the world outside Mcdonalds. Ignore them.

slimjimo10

06-25-2012

Quote:
Vizzlepeez:
Gringo isnt an offensive term lol its a name for americans and it came from the fact we used to have soldiers in mexico and they asked the "green" to "go" and it became gringo, its just a term

So the "N word" isn't an offensive term then? Please explain your double standards to me.

Tiza

eSports Coordinator

06-25-2012

There's really no need for semantic nitpicking in this thread - the issue is pretty clear-cut. If players are being abusive, offensive, or insulting - no matter on what grounds - they are in violation of the Summoner's Code. A lot of times, people are more offensive than they mean to be (not all of us are used to coexisting in a multicultural community, let alone an international one), and will stop if you just speak up and say "Hey, that's offending me. Could you please stop?" You also have the option to simply ignore them, and/or report them for their actions.

Debating whether or not this falls under one -ism umbrella or another could be an interesting discussion- as long as it stays polite and constructive. As far as the OP's concern, however, abuse is abuse, and that's what we have the Tribunal for.

Leslie

06-25-2012

This kind of behavior is only made worse by people trolling "as" Brazilians. I cant tell you how many times Ive been in a game, and someone was acting derpy and I tried to talk to them and all i got was huehuehue or a string of words I dont understand. As the game goes on, i can tell that they are just randomly typing nonsense and trolling. Its hard to figure out at first when you arent used to the language. Until they want their trolling to be known and go jaja TACO BURRITO or something stupid. I myself am now guilty of sighing and saying "oh great" or "eff my life" when I get someone who speaks another language. Because of all the trolling I have experienced.