yorick or renekton?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DraftierCarrot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

need atleast 5 pro's and cons for each of them saying why X champion is better then X champion
thx a bunch

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-11-2012

yorick: one of the strongest laning phases, easily zone/kill his lane unless cho/trundle/pro renekton
great team fighting skills if you use ulti on the right person but often falls off late game due to his scaling issues, he often becomes more of an offtank with an amazing ulti

renekton: not as strong as other top laners, very CDR dependent so his build can never truly meet his true potential since you need cdr boots and most often ghostblade. His only decent lane is against a yorick where he can just e-q-e but even then he will not win lane, only stall until junglers come and decide who will win lane
in team fights he isn't amazing, e-r-q-e-w and you have to wait for cooldowns after that which on renekton is a long time

IMO yorick is a better pick than renekton, more lane presence, and very strong team fight presence as well with his ulti and the fact ghouls late game are annoying to deal with so people kill them or get hurt by them by a decent amount late game

IGotCareless

06-11-2012

Yorick has a late game.
His ult can either boost your carries DPS by a ton, or give them some extra time to clinch a close fight.
He is one of the best solo tops, with very few counters and is a mediocre jungler in a pinch.

TooEzzz

06-11-2012

Yorick: Top lane bully to most champs
Renekton: Counters late game top laners.

Conclusion: Are you a bully?

Icarus Nuwin

06-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoelith View Post
yorick: one of the strongest laning phases, easily zone/kill his lane unless cho/trundle/pro renekton
great team fighting skills if you use ulti on the right person but often falls off late game due to his scaling issues, he often becomes more of an offtank with an amazing ulti

renekton: not as strong as other top laners, very CDR dependent

What? This is simply not the case. Renekton is one of the strongest solo top lanes in the game, a high damage bruiser with great sustain thanks to his q. I will admit cdr helps his build, but he is not dependant on it.

Anyone like the person above me said, its all about how you play. Yorick is a monster solo top and has very high defenses with decent damage. However he falls off hard late game and is reported to be quite boring to play.

Renekton is a good top laner, he falls off late game too but this can be avoided if he you know how to build him. He also has a stun... And no mana.

arcticnerd

06-13-2012

I am a Yorick fan. As such I think you should pick up Yorick over Renekton. I should say that I haven’t played a game with Renekton sense the week after his release so I don’t really know much about him.

Pro’s for Yorick:
Strong Laning phase – For most champions laning against a Yorick is extremely difficult. Champions that play passively or rely on sustain to get them through the laning phase are going to be wrecked.

Diversity in build – Most people agree that the only item that is a must have on Yorick is the manamune. After it you can build defensive items to counter the opposing team if you need a tanky dps character build defensives items if you need more of a bruiser then build cdr or ad if you need more damage.

His passive – A lot of players who are new to Yorick or don’t bother to read and comprehend his abilities and so they end up complaining that his ghouls don’t do enough. What they don’t understand is that the ghouls auto attack damage is secondary to the benefit gained from procing his passive. If used correctly Yorick can have 15 to 20% damage reduction for a few seconds making him difficult to kill. At the same time he gains 15 to 20% damage increase turning you into a damage monster.

His ult – A great team fight ult that has a fair amount of utility. Primarily you want to use it on your carry to get more auto attack dps. If you carry is farmed ulting them can turn the fight into a 6 v 5 especially if you direct your ghoul to attack a squishy target. It can also be used to save a dying ally. Doing this allows them to come back into the fight and go crazy as they no longer have to fear dying. Really his ult should be saved for champions that can deal damage but occasionally you will want to use it on the tank or support.

Con’s for Yorick”
Poor late game scaling – Yorick has a difficult time transition from mid to late game as he doesn’t scale as well with items as some top lane champions. It can be overcome by farming harder during the early game. If you just have more items who cares about scaling?

No gap closer – As an ad bruiser Yorick has a difficult time getting to carries and high mobility champions during team fights (and sometimes in lane). His q does provide a nice move speed buff but that typically isn’t enough to catch anyone. During team fights you should be prepared to be kited and peeled away. Building tanky and running flash exhaust helps.

Counters – Yorick is countered by a few characters but mostly by a change in game play. During the first few levels Yoricks damage output isn’t all that great. Players who don’t allow Yorick to harass them down and attack him full force can bully Yorick out of lane. Riven, Olaf, Irelia and Xin are all pretty good at being aggressive early game (Xin doesn’t scale well enough to really beat Yorick in the lane). If you can harass them before they get to you it’s not going to end well.

Weak spot – Surprisingly Yorick is actually very weak at levels 2 and 3. Players who are being aggressive and are able to attack without being harassed typically are much stronger then Yorick at levels 2 and 3. After that as long as you have not given up a kill and have a decent amount of cs you will probably win your lane.

In reality if you care about conserving RP or IP you shouldn’t buy either champion until you have played them and learn all of this for yourself. Unless you are thinking about trades there is no point in buying a champion you don’t like (Yorick is rarely played in Ranked and Renekton is sometimes played).

Warrrrax

06-13-2012

As said, Yorick is a stronger laner than Ren for the most part. He is much harder to counter and very difficult to actually kill and shut down.

HOWEVER, he also has a harder time snowballing. Zoning up top is harder because top is a common gank lane, so you can't go too far forward safely.
He also has no good way to actually KILL anyone, other than them starting a fight that they think they can win.
He has no Ult, no gap closer and many times the enemy can get away at low health.

As opposed to Ren, Irelia, and many other top champs who can press an advantage and flat out get a kill, which means even more items and more killing power.

Yorick also has a hard time contributing to endgame, ESPECIALLY with bad team composition. Say you take Yorick and your AD carry is Ez. Great... your main contribution to endgame (your clone) now basically doesn't do much of anything since the clone can't use abilities of course.
Ditto with Urgot, Kayle and other non-traditional AD carries.

So basically Yorick is more solid and less likely to lose. However, he is less likely to really WIN and make a big contribution either.

Jowabunga

06-13-2012

last 2 posts are awesome, upvoted both. I've been considering picking Yorick up and really appreciate the detailed info.

arcticnerd

06-13-2012

the opposing top laner especially if they are somewhat skilled but I don’t believe that’s the point of Yorick. Instead of snowballing because you have killed the opposing laner you snowball by denying them cs and lane experience. If you can establish lane dominance early and survive any level 2 or 3 ganks then you can easily zone out most top laners. Then it’s a simple matter of good warding to keep yourself mostly safe from ganks and managing the creeps to keep them moving in your advantage (either by freezing them on your side of the lane or forcing them into the tower). When mid to end games comes around you should have already provided your main benefit. That being that the opposing laner is under leveled, under farmed and mostly useless.

I also don’t agree with your view of his ult. I do feel it’s in important part of his kit and should be picked up asap. When the inevitable gank comes using your ult will greatly increase your damage output and your survivability. If you are playing your lane well and have established control then the opposing laner should be underleveled or weakened. When the gank comes the weakened player will typically make a move to assist in killing you. If he does you can ult and turn the fight onto him getting yourself a kill in most cases or if he doesn’t comes you can do the same thing onto the jungler.

I also think in team fights if you don’t have someone worth using your ult on then simply use it on yourself. Instead of going for raw damage output you are instead going to face tank the opposing team, die come back and do your best to disrupt the enemy. Typically after you die people will forget about you and move to attack other targets giving you a chance to jump on the carries. If they do fall back after killing you then your team has a great chance to land some easy kills.

As for winning matches I believe he is on par with most top laners however he does it a little differently. Instead of forcing victory by getting an amazing K/D/A ratio he does it by severely handy capping the opposing top laner and being a complete bully during team fights. Instead of murdering everyone I’m disrupting the opposing team and giving my team the best chance for success. I know that most people feel that you have to carry to win games but as a support player I can see the value in forcing advantages for your team. Be it stunning their carry or zoning them out. Either way they are not contributing to the fight.

I do agree with you on the issue of no gap closer. Yorick is severely hampered in team fights compared to most top laners when it comes to this. The answer however is to play him like Udyr. You need to be super tanky and work on your positioning. If you are in the right place at the right time you are going to get your damage off.

AuntieJemima

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrrrax View Post
As said, Yorick is a stronger laner than Ren for the most part. He is much harder to counter and very difficult to actually kill and shut down.

HOWEVER, he also has a harder time snowballing. Zoning up top is harder because top is a common gank lane, so you can't go too far forward safely.
He also has no good way to actually KILL anyone, other than them starting a fight that they think they can win.
He has no Ult, no gap closer and many times the enemy can get away at low health.

As opposed to Ren, Irelia, and many other top champs who can press an advantage and flat out get a kill, which means even more items and more killing power.

Yorick also has a hard time contributing to endgame, ESPECIALLY with bad team composition. Say you take Yorick and your AD carry is Ez. Great... your main contribution to endgame (your clone) now basically doesn't do much of anything since the clone can't use abilities of course.
Ditto with Urgot, Kayle and other non-traditional AD carries.

So basically Yorick is more solid and less likely to lose. However, he is less likely to really WIN and make a big contribution either.

Lol.. another person who thinks "yorick can only dominate top for a little while."
-as soon as you buy your Tear, u buy 2 wards. You then proceed to push the **** out of top. Wards will prevent ganks and you will ALWAYS dominate top and top towers. I almost never lose my tower unless im attacking bot or mid lane.

-"No late game, no ult." LOOOOL. His ult makes fights 6v5. his ult makes 1v2 into 2v2. Since yorick is a tanky bruiser, (and yes he is a brusier, manamune gives a ****load of damage along with frozen shield and ghouls give 15-20% dmg.) on top of him being a brusier, each ghoul attacks 3 times. thats 9 attacks. each do 1/3 of ur dmg... so if u spam ur ghouls, u will auto about 2-3 times, and ur ghouls will auto 9 times.. thus u auto about 5-6 times within 2-3 seconds. If you die under his ult, you come back for 10 seconds of endlass attacking. Since you know your dead u can spam and chase.

He is very easy to win with. If your team is able to keep the enemy distracted in their lanes. Well then top lane will get pushed to inhib (trust me, I do this often)

with 9/0/21 masteries, you will never run out of mana and your movement speed will often be enough to hit hard and keep up.