New Swain is retardedly OP

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VampRegen

06-23-2012

I never post qq but I am so pissed every Swain I've played since his huge buff completely dominates (this is at 1400 elo), nothing I used to do works (like Cassi) as his range lets him farm easy early and his ranged dot is so long.

What are people doing to beat him now, nothing I can find counters him if they aren't a complete moron. And don't say steal his blue please I need something viable not lucky and dependent on them making dumb mistakes.

Powerstoned

06-23-2012

Outrange him, and few champs really do that.

Xerath, Ziggs..

Alternoob

06-24-2012

I find Swain to be weaker against gap closers. Like most other champions that rely on their range (Lux, Ziggs etc.) if you can get in closer, they need to back off to do you any good. Kassadin, Talon and LeBlanc could all fit this really well seeing as they need to get in close to be used to their maximum potential. Sure he has his ultimate, but he needs his W to hit to be able to use his entire combo effectively so if you can avoid that (easy with gap closers), he's rendered near useless/

MagnusXL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alternoob View Post
I find Swain to be weaker against gap closers. Like most other champions that rely on their range (Lux, Ziggs etc.) if you can get in closer, they need to back off to do you any good. Kassadin, Talon and LeBlanc could all fit this really well seeing as they need to get in close to be used to their maximum potential. Sure he has his ultimate, but he needs his W to hit to be able to use his entire combo effectively so if you can avoid that (easy with gap closers), he's rendered near useless/
Actually, Kassadin cannot pull this off as easily as you might think. Pre-level six, Swain has at least the same range as Kassadin and can comfortably trade most of the time. Post level six Swain has plenty of time during riftwalk to turn into a bird before the silence hits him. Kassadin's burst will not outright kill someone tanky like Swain. If Kassadin goes glass cannon, he will die before his ult comes off of cooldown. If Kassadin builds tanky, he has to leave with his tail between his legs.

[ EDIT: You could, of course, attempt to bait the ult transformation by riftwalking somewhere else. ]

I say this as a former Kassadin player (before he was banned every game) and a Swain main. This is also assuming they have relatively comparable farm.

Leblanc can do it all of early game because her burst is beyond ridiculous, but she can't afford to actually TRADE. If she doesn't catch him off guard, she will probably die. Still, a good player put considerable hurt on Swain until late game. Fortunately for Leblanc, she's far better at picking off individual and fleeing champions than Swain is.

Talon is only mildly annoying early game. He won't usually QUITE burst you down and past level 6 you actually don't care that much about him. You can bird before he gets into range to blink onto you, drop a snare on him, and usually kill him during the duration unless he conserves his ult to run. Going invisible does NOT break Swain's Raven tether, which lets him effectively counter champions like Akali.

Again, this doesn't apply to FED variants of said champions.

Anyways, Swain's biggest counters mid are probably Anivia or Brand. There are quite a few characters who can fight Swain effectively, but you can't allow yourself to get caught in his CC DoT barrage. His damage is absolutely retarded early and mid game. Darius also out-right destroys Swain in a trade, but he has to get there.

Naderien

06-24-2012

Well Swain is mostly about his DoT spells. So a more direct counter would be a nuker, someone who uses their combo in a second. So this would be, Le Blanc, Annie, Brand and Veigar (prolly some others too).

Morde might be possible because you just limit exchanges to when you have your shield. Swain can't burn through your shield.because uses sustain damage.

D2v0n

06-24-2012

MagnusXL is a good forum post(take advice from him ), and also do not forget executioners calling and morello's evil tome. These two items should be used when Swain pops his ulty.

Boomstick II

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by VampRegen View Post
I never post qq but I am so pissed every Swain I've played since his huge buff completely dominates (this is at 1400 elo), nothing I used to do works (like Cassi) as his range lets him farm easy early and his ranged dot is so long.

What are people doing to beat him now, nothing I can find counters him if they aren't a complete moron. And don't say steal his blue please I need something viable not lucky and dependent on them making dumb mistakes.
I agree with OP, he's really difficult to beat now (maybe not retardedly OP though). The only way I've found to "beat" a decent Swain is to just push the lane as much as you can and go gank the other lanes. Then again, he can do that just as easily so it's not really "beat"ing him, it's just finding ways to avoid having to fight him directly. He'll later come into team fights and usually dominate.

Even playing as Swain I have very little trouble against just about anyone. But then again, I've only played as Swain in PBE (though I've played against him in NA servers) where you rarely come across above-beginner players.

Powerstoned

06-24-2012

Withing his range of abilities, swain shouldn't be beat. Out range him.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2012

a champ that is all about dots and sustain got a slight buff because his range was so short

either play a burst or be more passive and get early abyssal for mr, and ignite him if you go for a kill on him

Teriyakisuzuki

06-24-2012

AP trist seems legit to me E and just hit minions and explode and dmg him till he is 3/4 hp and then when u hit lvl 6 W>ignite>E>R and lets say u flash out of his W at the sametime and YOU will be rewarded with a guaranteed FIRST BLOOD! After that You just keep that harrass with the minions until he is 3/4 low again and by then your ignite should be up and do the combo again and he will be 0/2/0 and then u will be fed and he will turtle like crazy and therefore you go and gank other lanes. The Key thing about trist is to not miss your W.