Who Counters Malzahar mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlayWithMe69

06-23-2012

Malzahar's my favorite mid at the moment and so far I haven't had many problems against most other mids. I just wanted to know who counters him and why so I can study their gameplay to be ready to face them in ranked games.

Hieronymus Bosch

06-23-2012

It's not who, but what.

Quicksilver Sash.

Besides that, Xerath tends to give me problems, and Kassadin can be fairly annoying (as he is against any mage). Fizz can be difficult or really easy if you're fast enough. He get's close for a combo? Q>E>W>R

It's really hard to land a combo on Cassiopeia, same goes for Veigar and Ryze. Orianna is also difficult to go against.

You have immense farming capabilities as malz, so just farm up until 6 and ask your jungler for a gank; rarely does a gank with Malzahar fail. Once you get your ult you just want to look for opportunities to combo squishies and catch people off guard. Malzahar is a great pusher so push your lane and go gank bot or top; never stay in mid if it's pushed. Get blue buff whenever possible and just play safe until you can combo a single target 1v1. In team fights, stay back and use q and w from a distance; I also like to put e on minions that are close to me. Only use your ult for chasing or if someone is out of place.

I guess that was more of a mini malzahar guide but.. whatever. :P

BendyBread

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2012

Lux works decently (in my experience).

Also, junglers. Most (not all) Malz's will over push a wave with Malefic Visions. This leads him to be pretty vulnerable to a jungler.

PlayWithMe69

06-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hieronymus Bosch View Post
I guess that was more of a mini malzahar guide but.. whatever. :P
No worries. I appreciate the extra advice :3

Time to watch a bunch of videos on those champs >.>

Hieronymus Bosch

06-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayWithMe69 View Post
No worries. I appreciate the extra advice :3

Time to watch a bunch of videos on those champs >.>
Well Xerath just has extreme range and a stun, and he can kill you behind your turret if he's good. It's really hard to land a combo on him, so all you should do is slap on an E and run around. His attacks/stun are easy to dodge so get boots & 3 pots to start with. Kass wouldn't be that hard if it weren't for that silence, but basically just farm. With Cass you want to start with boots too, and don't even try to kill her unless you get a gank or her ult is on cd. Orianna has the range issue again so it's hard to get near her. Lux is another one who can get you behind your turret and nuke you if she's good.

PlayWithMe69

06-23-2012

Oh I always start with boots and 3 pots. So I can just get in their face and harras/farm without having to worry about hp. Kassadin isn't that hard to deal with. He's just a one move pony early game. If he's starting with boots he wont be doing any damage at all and I can basically free farm.

Anti1460

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-24-2012

this is a great counter pick guide.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...owsperpage=250

so to answer your question: Gangplank [87]

Leblanc [88]

Alistar [89]

Simply Chaotic

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayWithMe69 View Post
Malzahar's my favorite mid at the moment and so far I haven't had many problems against most other mids. I just wanted to know who counters him and why so I can study their gameplay to be ready to face them in ranked games.
Malzhar is my best champion. My biggest counters are Olaf and Tryndamere. Olaf can become immune to my ult stun, and Trynd can survive it (sorta) and use those couple seconds to obliterate me.

In early game mid, I find I have the most trouble with non-mage champs, such as Gragas, Fizz, Xin, etc. Basically anyone strong enough to not get too hurt by Visions and/or gap closer. Other than that, Kassadin is a natural mage counter and must be laned against with caution.

For mage vs mage mid, a general rule of thumb is: if the enemy mage is capable of bursting you down faster than you can burst him/her down, he/she is a threat.
Right now, there's only a few mages with extreme burst: Malz, Annie, Vieg, Leb, and Aniv. These are the only mages that can reliably burst your from 100% to 0 in 3-4 casts. So, these are probably going to be your biggest threats in lane.

As far as countering them? That depends on how you play. I'm a Visions Malz. I lvl E first, Q second, W last. I only ever use W when it is in conjunction with my ult (or another sufficiently long stun). I spam E on everything and everyone. It's my first and last spell casted. I use W for burst and minion packs. Visions is safe to farm with, doesn't waste mana and lets you stay safely back. It also forces enemy to stay on the move. Play passive till lvl6, then go balls out.

manny vodka

01-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simply Chaotic View Post
Malzhar is my best champion. My biggest counters are Olaf and Tryndamere. Olaf can become immune to my ult stun, and Trynd can survive it (sorta) and use those couple seconds to obliterate me.

In early game mid, I find I have the most trouble with non-mage champs, such as Gragas, Fizz, Xin, etc. Basically anyone strong enough to not get too hurt by Visions and/or gap closer. Other than that, Kassadin is a natural mage counter and must be laned against with caution.

For mage vs mage mid, a general rule of thumb is: if the enemy mage is capable of bursting you down faster than you can burst him/her down, he/she is a threat.
Right now, there's only a few mages with extreme burst: Malz, Annie, Vieg, Leb, and Aniv. These are the only mages that can reliably burst your from 100% to 0 in 3-4 casts. So, these are probably going to be your biggest threats in lane.

As far as countering them? That depends on how you play. I'm a Visions Malz. I lvl E first, Q second, W last. I only ever use W when it is in conjunction with my ult (or another sufficiently long stun). I spam E on everything and everyone. It's my first and last spell casted. I use W for burst and minion packs. Visions is safe to farm with, doesn't waste mana and lets you stay safely back. It also forces enemy to stay on the move. Play passive till lvl6, then go balls out.
you forgot that brand is bursty as hell besides that i agree

Directw

01-06-2013

I hardly have any problem against Malz when I play Fid.

Well, not really no problem at all. the only problem is that I am using a lot mana when I am against Malz because I need to be very aggressive from very beginning. Even with blue buff, it's kind of hard to keep using drak wind-fear-drain combo to zone him out