This is why you dont give up in ranked...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xCry0x

06-25-2012

Was playing vlad vs jax top, top lane is probably my weakest lane by a long shot. Jax got an early kill when naut tried an unadvised lvl 2 gank and ran into yi - fed jax double buffs in the process. My lane went down hill from there because he could spam abilities all day long and he pushed me out of lane pretty hard then roamed and eventually the score was something like 2-13 their team. People started saying oh this is over, tried to surrender at 20 but we kept at it.

15 mins later we are killing their inhibitor because while their jax started strong the other 4 people were playing dumb since their team was so far ahead. We warded the map and caught some of them a few times. They did a baron with our whole team alive which resulted in them getting the buff at the cost of both their carries dying and none of us dying. They kept getting caught by cc in team fights, jax was their only 'tank' so they were squishy. Finally their whole team face checked our team in a bush which resulted in an ace and a push to win by us.

Moral of the story is you never know what is going to happen. One ace and the entire power of the game shifts as you can kill a few turrets, dragon, steal buffs etc and late game with the massive respawn times you can do quite a lot of damage.

Pigdestroyah

06-25-2012

Quite a few people have a negative attitude about bad early starts in the game, and their "inability" to come back from them. I hope this post helps in alleviating that somewhat. +1 mate, and good on you

slimjimo10

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-25-2012

I had a similar experience, except it was 3-17 until we came back. Man, that Nidalee on the other team raged the hardest I think I've ever seen so far on LoL.

roughneck65

06-25-2012

I played a game recently were our mid went afk we had some people who wanted to quit but more that wanted to give it a try. they fed all four of us and we won around 30 min if i remember correctly.

ZongTG

06-25-2012

Yeah, comebacks happen. But usually, they don't. I've lost most games where the other team is ahead or got a good start. "Never give up, never surrender!" is a good saying to go by, but comebacks really just don't happen. You're extremely lucky if they do.

Maybe my post is so negative because I'm coming off of a Ranked loss. But still, comebacks usually don't happen, and I don't hope for them.

MoreMedz

06-25-2012

"Never surrender" is just a phrase, like "power of belief" or "Captain Planet!". Simply having the attitude is not enough in most cases.

The reality is that if a team wants to make a comeback after a bad start, then there has to be a radical change of gameplay. After all, that approach that just lost you the early game is not going to win you the late game. So either you have to change, or the other team has to make mistakes.

At a professional level, players are aware of this and so they try to stay focused in games in order to coordinate new strategies to counter the other team. However, ranked games are not necessarily all played at that level. Hence, more often than not, an early bad game or an average mid game lead to players "giving up" and playing less competently. This is something that people need to learn to overcome.

On the other hand, knowing when to surrender is in itself a sign of skill and respect for the enemy team. Many professional chess games for example end in resignation.

The bottomline is: Victory is not an accident. There will be times when you know that it can still be obtained, and times when you know you no longer have it in your grasps. I too like comeback stories, but I wonder for each seemingly miraculous comeback, how many more ended up being just games that dragged on for too long?

WatDaWat

06-25-2012

Too many people give up early

DrDinglesnorf

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZongTG View Post
Yeah, comebacks happen. But usually, they don't. I've lost most games where the other team is ahead or got a good start. "Never give up, never surrender!" is a good saying to go by, but comebacks really just don't happen. You're extremely lucky if they do.

Maybe my post is so negative because I'm coming off of a Ranked loss. But still, comebacks usually don't happen, and I don't hope for them.
Ironically, it's the opposite for me. Normally we only lose because of either our team just completely giving up and dance at the nexus, or we have too many afks

xCry0x

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigdestroyah View Post
Quite a few people have a negative attitude about bad early starts in the game, and their "inability" to come back from them. I hope this post helps in alleviating that somewhat. +1 mate, and good on you
Thanks, I don't have a ton of ranked experience but even in normal I see it happen a lot and honestly if people can just suck it up and play through it the other team tends to make horrible mistakes at low elo.

What guarantees a loss is when everyone starts raging and quitting.

Also if you stick with it you never know what will happen, getting aced at 40 mins is A LOT worse than getting aced at 20 mins. In one of the tourny's a few months back I remember watching the losing team completely turn the game around due to catching the other team at baron and acing them. Late game ace + baron steal let them walk right through the towers and kill the inhib before anyone respawned, gg game over.