Update on League of Legends service in NA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Seanselot

06-25-2012

my league keeps crashing and i keep having to wait on these queues. i hate this.

Grogui Lee

06-25-2012

I'm i the only one with 45 min long queues? Is it reallly that long?

Gelinasty

06-25-2012

930 pm est and i got about an hour before i gotta hit the sack. i think to myself. "self, it sure would be nice to wind down with a glass of whiskey and a game of league before bed". unfortunately the 45 min log in queue is making me look elsewhere. sad panda

Barnavise

06-25-2012

if this downtime happened to Wow, the chinese economy would be in recession..

FENN3C

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSturm View Post
Summoners,

Lance, aka CaptSturm here. For those of you who don’t know me, I’m charged with maintaining the health of the League of Legends live service around the world. As you know, it’s been a rough week here in North America.

We are painfully aware of the problems many of you have been experiencing:

- Extended outages: The North American service has been unavailable for significant stretches of time
- Long queue times: We’ve had to throttle logins and concurrent players due to these issues
- We’ve also confirmed that some players are missing content: runes, rune pages, champions, etc.

This is frustrating for you, and we feel that frustration deeply. This isn’t the service you’ve come to expect and it isn’t what we want to deliver. It’s been code red for engineering and support Rioters, and we’ve been working literally around the clock to identify and resolve these problems.

Many of you have asked for more information on what’s causing these problems, and we understand that desire – I’m going to try my best to give you some insight into what we’re working on, but please understand that our first priority is to put out the fire rather than exhaustively document it.

- This patch is like an iceberg – what you see on the surface is small in comparison to the behind-the-scenes infrastructure changes it includes.
- The problems we’re experiencing are database-related – specifically, it’s a data throughput issue. Our infrastructure handles a massive volume of data and requests every day, and the backend changes in this patch introduced a new bottleneck.
- We put every patch through the wringer including load testing and PBE player testing, and this patch passed those tests. The problems didn’t crop up until we pushed it to live. This has exposed some load testing gaps that we’re going to address (simulating millions of concurrent players is truly challenging).
- Over the last 48 hours, we’ve made substantial hardware configuration changes that we believe will address the problems. We’re actively monitoring the service, but we’re still not out of the woods.

I know the thing you want to hear most is when everything’s going to be back to normal. I’d love to give you a timeframe, but we want to be absolutely confident in our solution before signaling the all-clear. Our number one priority is restoration of a stable game experience.

Thanks for your patience. I’m going to continue keeping you guys up-to-date as we work to fully restore League of Legends to the service you’ve come to expect.

Salute,
'Sturm
I could understand if the patch broke the game for a few days, but this seems to have been going on for an entire week now?

Perhaps you guys should develop a different way to implement and test your changes, as this isn't the first time your game has encountered major issues after a patch....If it ain't broke, don't fix it, and if it is - FIX IT.

Either that or hire more qualified individuals to address said issues.

But hey, I guess that's part of the problem with the games industry - there's little accountability. I know, because I've experienced it first hand.

I hate to think how much $ and player base you've lost as a result of the down time and login queues.

Yep, I'm feeling pretty sour right now.

DZavala

06-25-2012

Hey riot, haven't heard from you guys in awhile. Everything going okay over there?

Zandraxx

06-25-2012

well, if we are going to make people wait for 2 hours to login, do you think we could remove the automatic logout for those of us who do not eat/drink/relieve ourselves by our keyboards 24/7? I login after a horrendous wait, play a game, go tuck my kids in, maybe read them a story or 2, come back and "You have been disconnected" - REALLY? Sorry, but that is not customer friendly...let me stay inactive for at least the amount of the wait time on the login...

moneymike0487

06-25-2012

This is freaking ridiculous. I really don't mean to fly off the handle here and I won't get anything but dislikes most likely but RIOT GET YOUR **** TOGETHER. You are a for profit industry with employees who work for a pay check. it has been over a week and you still have not resolved your issues with queue timers or log in positions. I play this game for relaxation and have been more and more irritated with you lack of ability to resolve your issues. Currently you are not providing a quality product. Can you please suggest a quality product for me?

ZOMGitsKENNY

06-25-2012

No one will ever read this--at least not anyone who can do anything about it, but I think it is important for me to say. I buy RP regularly. Weekly. I do the Tribunal. I take surveys. Etc., etc.. I try to make a free game better. But really... I feel, because I buy RP weekly, as if I can complain. I have to wait 40 minutes for the queue. I get to the last 5 seconds and it tells me that the servers are busy. Frustrating, etc.. I wait another 40 minutes. I get into the game and am immediately disconnected from chat. After hitting the "Reconnect" button and watching the little loading dial spin and spin and spin, I get a message saying that I have been disconnected and that Riot is sorry. I attempt to sign in again and am hit with another 40 minute queue--which dedicates 90% of my bandwidth to logging in. And if I finally do get back in, and I finally do get to play a game, I am disconnecting 4 or 5 times during the game randomly, and have ping all over the place--I usually clock a steady 30 ping, a reliable 30 ping. I get that you people are working as hard and as fast as you can to fix whatever it is that is causing this, but at what cost? I don't want to buy RP anymore because I'm afraid that I will never be able to use what I buy because your servers are going to be down and out. All I want are some indepth answers. I just want to know why I--we--are having to suffer through this. Reroll the patch--again--and recreate from the ground up. Delay everything that you had planned--new champions, new skins, sales, etc., etc., because I would much rather have a fixed, reliable server, than Pulsefire Ezreal.

Wittig

06-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOMGitsKENNY View Post
No one will ever read this--at least not anyone who can do anything about it, but I think it is important for me to say. I buy RP regularly. Weekly. I do the Tribunal. I take surveys. Etc., etc.. I try to make a free game better. But really... I feel, because I buy RP weekly, as if I can complain. I have to wait 40 minutes for the queue. I get to the last 5 seconds and it tells me that the servers are busy. Frustrating, etc.. I wait another 40 minutes. I get into the game and am immediately disconnected from chat. After hitting the "Reconnect" button and watching the little loading dial spin and spin and spin, I get a message saying that I have been disconnected and that Riot is sorry. I attempt to sign in again and am hit with another 40 minute queue--which dedicates 90% of my bandwidth to logging in. And if I finally do get back in, and I finally do get to play a game, I am disconnecting 4 or 5 times during the game randomly, and have ping all over the place--I usually clock a steady 30 ping, a reliable 30 ping. I get that you people are working as hard and as fast as you can to fix whatever it is that is causing this, but at what cost? I don't want to buy RP anymore because I'm afraid that I will never be able to use what I buy because your servers are going to be down and out. All I want are some indepth answers. I just want to know why I--we--are having to suffer through this. Reroll the patch--again--and recreate from the ground up. Delay everything that you had planned--new champions, new skins, sales, etc., etc., because I would much rather have a fixed, reliable server, than Pulsefire Ezreal.
Totally agree with this. Riot, get back to the Draven Patch, and forget about these new skins for Twisted Fate, Dr. Mundo, and others. Forget it. If it isn't possible to do this, then please, PLEASE increase the login speed for at least a 25%. Surely that won't kill the servers, now will it?