Update on League of Legends service in NA

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nomadd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2012

@Sturm - any way you can get someone to sticky this please?

The rage of general discussion is washing this away fairly quickly and I think it would satiate a few of those people actually looking for some information.

Also - keep up the good work all this negativity must be stressful, but everyone appreciates the hard work put in.

Zahmbomb

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSturm View Post
Your support and encouragement is touching and is what motivates us here. We've been working extremely long hours trying to un...wind this.
The problem with a revert is that the content database has been changed--it's past the "revert" the code and would require "rollback" the database content/progress, etc. Here's the truth of where we're at: Trying to find the "least bad" choice. But, our absolute priority (and was talking with Marc specifically on this last evening at 2AM) is restoration, restoration, restoration of the service.

Wow, thanks--I mean that. Tell you what, I'll take the team members that survive out for a nice dinner...after we're done and good. In the meantime, we'll keep a barrel of coffee ready to go.
Steak Dinner with Sturm. Incentive enough to fix the game.

Ascendent

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2012

Thanks Lance.

DoublestuffOrea

06-22-2012

2hr Queue.... well looks like im going back to HoN, case that totally ridiculous.

Chislayer Osiris

06-22-2012

As an undergraduate senior in computer science and an indie dev who's only worked on projects that had up to 100 concurrent players at a time, I can only imagine the horror you guys are going through to find and remedy the source of this problem... especially when you're under so much pressure.

Good luck and godspeed to your entire team. Please take a well deserved break once this is all over.

Fortunae

06-22-2012

Keep up the good work guys, it's very much appreciated

TurboSpecV

06-22-2012

New favorite rioter right here!

I appreciate you informing us of the issue. A lof of red's will talk to you and not tell the issue because it's not our business to know or it's over our heads. Even though I am by no means an IT professional; I know my way around networking and databases (I work as a liason for IT and Finance at a major mortgage company) and can appreciate your detailed responses.

Thanks again.

WarlordAlpha

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSturm View Post
- This patch is like an iceberg what you see on the surface is small in comparison to the behind-the-scenes infrastructure changes it includes.

- The problems were experiencing are database-related specifically, its a data throughput issue. Our infrastructure handles a massive volume of data and requests every day, and the backend changes in this patch introduced a new bottleneck.

- Over the last 48 hours, weve made substantial hardware configuration changes that we believe will address the problems. Were actively monitoring the service, but were still not out of the woods.
Huh, this is the closest/best example of actual technical details I've ever seen from Riot - as an engineer I really appreciate that kind of thing. I don't want to hear about the symptoms, those are obvious - I prefer to learn about the root cause of the issues.

Now, when you guys do behind the scenes code upgrades like this, is it stuff that fixes past mistakes (like how everyone has heard about how the original code for this game is a disaster?), stuff that lays the foundation for new content, or a mixture?

earthquake910

06-22-2012

The Length Of The Login Que Might Cause Gamers To Quit LoL.

Optimus Heim

06-22-2012

Awwwww