LoL vs Dota 2

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sir Grimace

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remz View Post
Dota 2 heroes have names too, read their lore.
Didnt you hear? DotA has no lore. And Riot has handcrafted one of the most epic pieces of story telling ever with LoL. Oh wait....

c4lm

06-22-2012

Probably the worst comparison to date.

People, please stop.

Vrouge

06-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightmagician60 View Post
Wall of c r @ p.
It doesn't matter how long you've played both games... what matters is how silly your statements are.

You mention the fact that in LoL every character is referred to by their name and somehow that makes them have character... o.0 ... as opposed to Dota 2 having several minutes of voice work and clearly superior (more detailed and varied) models? Also as a lot of people have mentioned Dota has 108 heroes currently. Two dozen aren't yet implemented into Dota 2 and more will likely be added by the game's full release.

Itemisation is more varied and fun to play around with in Dota... I'm sorry dude but LoL comes down to marketing. It is inferior in terms of production quality and more generic in terms of design.

TranqB

06-23-2012

dude, you're posting this on a LoL forum, what do you expect people will answer you?

RandomG360

06-23-2012

relevant
http://i.imgur.com/hb1Yj.jpg

point me to a LoL match like that, you can't.

BohemianParody

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Of Babylon View Post
I have not played DOTA 2, but I did play DOTA 1 for a little while years ago. I did not enjoy DOTA. I don't have the time (or the desire) to dedicate a ton of time to the intricacies of a certain playstyle with a certain hero. I associate the DOTA community with being very unforgiving, much like the WC3 community it spawned from.

League of Legends is accessible. It runs well on my laptop as well as my desktop. It's a game that is designed to appeal, where as I feel like DOTA 2 is designed to appease hardcore DOTA fans. In a lot of ways, League of Legends is most comparable to World of Warcraft.

It's bright, it's colorful, strategies are frequently limited, it's not as complex or "Rewarding" as some of it's competition... but it has a style/build/design that will lead to longevity and sustained popularity.

I'm sure DOTA 2 will be a great game, but, judging by the things I've read, I think it is designed for a community and a gamer that is far more dedicated to competitive gaming than I care to be.

In short, I'm a Casual, I'm a Carebear, that's all right - LoL.
Who tells you that Dota is for hardcore players only? i've been playing it "casually" for at least 5 years, it's not like you are going to play against people who are miles ahead of you with the match making system.

Solus

06-24-2012

Dota 2 is overall a better game than LoL. For no other reason than that LoL was designed to be a more "accessible" game than dota. Here's a breakdown of what seperates both games(I don't even know the current dota meta, but I'll just list off the moderate knowledge I have on the game)

LoL:
-Baron control
-Dragon control
-Neutral buffs
-Junglers(In dota you basically just clear what you can when you can.)
-More forgiving last hitting
-Runes/Masteries
...That's about it.

Dota 2:
-Denying(Can kill your own creeps when they get low enough denying the enemy team gold+xp)
-Blocking(You can block your own creeps so that the waves clash closer to your tower)
-Buffs instead of baron/dragon(They have some 45 second duration, they're beast)
-neutral creep stacking(You can kite a camp away from it's spawn when it's about to refresh and double up on them, some AOE heroes can take advantage of this)
-Neutral creep diverting(Think if you could drag golems at bot into your creep wave.)
-Only one orb effect, so you have to make it count. Think if you had to pick between phage or BT
-Juking in dota is way more rewarding and superior than LoL hands down. Juking in LoL sums up to running in and out of bushes. I've spammed tangos to juke through trees and survived.

All in all, Dota is just a harder game for better players, and LoL is designed for the casual gamer. There isn't anything that really calls for any /real/ skill in LoL. You either understand the basic mechanics and can do simple math, or you can't.

Every AD bot builds the same way(Boots>2xDorans>vampscept>IE>PD>LW>GA). Almost every support builds the same way(Mana regen>Wards>Boots=philo>HoG>Shurelyas). Bruisers are a little more varied depending on what resistance they need and how well they scale with AD. AP boils down to Rabadon's, Voidstaff, and RoA/Rylais/DFG. LoL's current incarnation is VERY narrow and there isn't a lot of leeway in terms of itemization, the only true customization a MOBA has.

Riot tried to be clever and add this runes and masteries system but it all ends up being the same ****(Flat AD/Armor/Mres +21/0/9 for AD Bot) Riot could just streamline every ranged carry with +15 AD, 13 armor and 13 Mres and no one would notice a lick of difference. I have things like +mana, +cdr, and +ArP/Mpen runes and they don't even see the light of day because the runes that work for everyone are even better than the specialized, situational runes.

UrsaMinor

06-24-2012

I wouldn't say LoL has all fun champions. Some are just bad design and suck.

Coppermouth

06-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
Dota 2 is overall a better game than LoL. For no other reason than that LoL was designed to be a more "accessible" game than dota. Here's a breakdown of what seperates both games(I don't even know the current dota meta, but I'll just list off the moderate knowledge I have on the game)

LoL:
-Baron control
-Dragon control
-Neutral buffs
-Junglers(In dota you basically just clear what you can when you can.)
-More forgiving last hitting
-Runes/Masteries
...That's about it.

Dota 2:
-Denying(Can kill your own creeps when they get low enough denying the enemy team gold+xp)
-Blocking(You can block your own creeps so that the waves clash closer to your tower)
-Buffs instead of baron/dragon(They have some 45 second duration, they're beast)
-neutral creep stacking(You can kite a camp away from it's spawn when it's about to refresh and double up on them, some AOE heroes can take advantage of this)
-Neutral creep diverting(Think if you could drag golems at bot into your creep wave.)
-Only one orb effect, so you have to make it count. Think if you had to pick between phage or BT
-Juking in dota is way more rewarding and superior than LoL hands down. Juking in LoL sums up to running in and out of bushes. I've spammed tangos to juke through trees and survived.

All in all, Dota is just a harder game for better players, and LoL is designed for the casual gamer. There isn't anything that really calls for any /real/ skill in LoL. You either understand the basic mechanics and can do simple math, or you can't.

Every AD bot builds the same way(Boots>2xDorans>vampscept>IE>PD>LW>GA). Almost every support builds the same way(Mana regen>Wards>Boots=philo>HoG>Shurelyas). Bruisers are a little more varied depending on what resistance they need and how well they scale with AD. AP boils down to Rabadon's, Voidstaff, and RoA/Rylais/DFG. LoL's current incarnation is VERY narrow and there isn't a lot of leeway in terms of itemization, the only true customization a MOBA has.

Riot tried to be clever and add this runes and masteries system but it all ends up being the same ****(Flat AD/Armor/Mres +21/0/9 for AD Bot) Riot could just streamline every ranged carry with +15 AD, 13 armor and 13 Mres and no one would notice a lick of difference. I have things like +mana, +cdr, and +ArP/Mpen runes and they don't even see the light of day because the runes that work for everyone are even better than the specialized, situational runes.
Seems like that's pretty accurate for the most part, but I think there is still ALOT of skill in LOL, especially on the tournament scene.

As, LOL accessibly is to its benefit. DOTA 2 has more complexities but it does not make it better. Also at this point, since the MOBA genre will now have 3/4 major games it will be good for games to be different from each other.

I look forward to DOTA2, but i'm not sure it will stop me from playing LOL, we'll see.

ChillE

06-25-2012

Regardless of any and all opinions, Dota2 won't even come CLOSE to the subscriber/user base that LOL has established. In fact, all the other MOBA games COMBINED won't come close to WoW...er.. LOL.

And why is that? Accessibility and Game/Character Design.

NO ONE that hasn't played DOTA is going to have an EASY time getting used to DOTA 2. ESPECIALLY someone coming from LOL. First off, no camera lock. I understand DOTA didn't' have one but failing to implement this in DOTA 2 is just...well...it shows a complete lack of understanding of how to achieve genre success on the part of the DOTA2 devs. The lack of any real "tutorial" other than simply jumping in a bot game and feeding till you understand how to move the camera, use the courier, escape with tangos/quelling blade/or a skill/item, ect, really hurts as well. LOL literally holds your hand for your first few games and then encourages you to go test your skills against bots before you jump into a real game.

People ripped on WOW for its accessibility and ease of use, but that's what GETS non hardcore/legacy gamers INTO your game. I would wager less than 5% of people who HAVEN'T played DOTA1 or are coming from LOL will stick with DOTA2 simply because they won't even play more than 5-10 GAMES before they get frustrated/angry and just GIVE UP!

And the character design is another HUGE issue. While ALOT (read: most) of LOL's characters are blatant rip-offs, carbon copies, or simply are "inspired by" dota heroes, they are ALL (read: ALL) better designed, both in game, in lore, and in concept/name/title.

The MAIN reason I got into LOL originally instead of HoN or DOTA1 was the CHARACTERS. I looked at the entire rosters of all 3 games and LOL's champion list simply had better characters. Rather...these characters better appealed to ME. But clearly I'm not in the minority since this game has FAR more players than the others. I mean honestly, even the voice acting is better in LOL!

Don't get me wrong, I LIKE both games. There are some things about DOTA that I'm surprised haven't been implemented into LOL, but when it all comes down to it, I find LOL's champions, mechanics, and gamestyle more FUN (not saying BETTER) than the others. And by a significant margin.

TL : DR = Being Accessible and User Friendly is NOT a bad thing. LOL Champ/Hero Design > Dota's. Most popular does NOT mean best, but it means SOMETHING.