Bilgewater Cutlass, Build Path Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chthulu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

Bilgewater Cutlass, in my mind, is an item filled with potential that, unfortunately has but one progression at the moment.

I can think of two other items in the game that, not only are they underused but, would combine exceptionally with the Bilgewater Cutlass.

I speak, of course, of Tiamat and Executioner's Calling.

All three of these items could potentially serve an champion based on physical attacks, and yet, all three of them are marginalized by where they end up.

Ineffective late game. (The Cutlass being the exception, but on someone like, say, Olaf, who could use the damage, the lifesteal, and the slow, who has no AP ratios whatsoever, Hextech Gunblade is out of the question... I digress)

Let's examine Bilgewater Cutlass and Executioner's Calling. Both have similar costs, both have similar statistics, including an activate able effect, and thematically they fit exceptionally well together.

===================

Quote:
Bilgewater Cutlass
1825 Gold

+ 35 Damage, +15% Lifesteal, UNIQUE: Active: Deals 150 magic damage and slows the target champion by 50% for 3 seconds (400 range). 60 second cooldown.

Executioner's Calling

+18% Lifesteal +15% Critical Strike Chance UNIQUE Passive: On hit, you cause 4 damage per second for 8 seconds. UNIQUE Active: Inflicts target enemy champion with Grievous Wound, causing 50% reduced healing and regeneration for 8 seconds. 20 second cooldown
Combined, they could be something to the effect of;
Bilgewater Cutlass (1825) + Executioner's Calling (1350) + Recipe (600)

Quote:
Saber of the Soulless

+35% Lifesteal +40 damage, +20% critical strike chance UNIQUE Passive: On hit, you cause 8 damage per second for 8 seconds Unique Active: Inflicts Trauma on target enemy champion, causing 70% reduced healing and regeneration, a 50% slow, and causing target to take 15% increased damage, for 3.5 seconds. (500 range) 60 second cooldown.
The main issue with combining them as written, is that the lifesteal the item they produce would grant would be astronomical.

A potential solution to this would be to make the Executioner's Calling a direct upgrade from the Brawler's Gloves, and reduce the cost somewhat, so that it becomes an intermediary item to combine with the Bilgewater Cutlass, adjusting the cost accordingly, and lowering the effects slightly (specifically it's Unique abilities)

================================================== =========

The second would be the combination with Tiamat, again a potentially exceptional item that becomes marginalized due to it's weak late game capabilities on all but a scarce few champions, mostly when fooling around.

Quote:
Bilgewater Cutlass (1825)

+

Tiamat
+42 Attack Damage +15 Health Regen per 5 sec +4 Mana Regen per 5 sec Passive: Your attacks Splash, dealing Physical Damage in a small area around the target.
+ Recipe (230)

Quote:
Weighted Anchor

+80 Damage, +15% lifesteal, +15 Health Regen per 5, +4 Mana Regen per 5, UNIQUE Passive: Your attacks Splash, dealing (increased percentage) Physical Damage in a small (slightly enlarged) area around the target. Unique: Active Deals 200 magic damage and slows the target champion by 50% for 3 seconds, damages and slows nearby enemies by half. (400 range). 60 second cooldown.

(Alternative Active: Deals 400 Magic Damage in an AoE, and temporarily causes on hit effects to splash)
The primary issues being the cost.
Towards this end, I could see removing the Pick Axe from the Tiamat recipe, reducing the damage on Weighted Anchor by ~15-20, and modifying the combine cost accordingly.

===================================

Another issue which has been, quite relevantly, raised, is the potential prevalence of items which slow, should the Active abilities of these remain as listed.

Towards this end, I imagine one could drop the slowing effect on Saber of the Soulless, and increase it's duration, and drop the active on Weighted Anchor, but add a UNIQUE Passive, which causes on hit effects to splash.

Further improving the uniqueness of both.

All three of these items seem to have beautiful potential for combination, and I can think of numerous champions I would purchase these (or some similar iteration of) items on... it is, in my opinion, quite unfortunate that they see little use while holding so much potential.

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms and the like are welcome, although I will more than likely ignore any criticisms lacking explanation.

Obviously all numbers and names are working concepts only, and should be far less relevant than the concepts themselves.

TL;DR (for one, I don't respect you, however; read what's in the quote blocks)

Chthulu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2010

60 views, thus far, no replies.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Even a "Yeah, hey, you know what, that's pretty neat!" or "I'd use those" would be totally welcome.

Alternatively "No way dude, that's too expensive/overpowered/a stupid concept" is also helpful, I'm happy to modify ideas based on discussion.

Anything?
Anyone?

Also: how's the layout? I have a sense that my formatting isn't particularly clear. Might that be part of the reason for a lack of responses?

F0rte

08-30-2010

I think the problem with adding more items with active slows is that you could very easily stack one or two of them in a game, perhaps even more with some of the almost hour long 5v5s. I could see many tough or tanky champs becoming far too powerful with these items. For instance, imagine a Mordekaiser that runs randuins omen, frozen mallet/rylais and weighted anchor. You're never getting away from him and he's going to get several kills out of every team fight. Melee characters in general would start to work these into every build and you'd not see any games without tons of slows going out.

Chthulu

08-30-2010

You raise a very good point - and I had, in fact, thought earlier about carrying two of these and stacking the slows.

The slow is, of course, a major selling point for the Bilgewater Cutlass, but does not necessarily need to carry over as such.

I was thinking it might be neat to add a UNIQUE Passive to Weighted Anchor in which on hit effects splashed... perhaps that alone might be sufficient to remove the slowing active?

noodle0117

08-30-2010

I like the executioner's, although tiamat might have to find another item as a component friend.
Very good ideas in general though

Ruibarian

08-30-2010

I love these weapon ideas, some of the most solid I've seen on the forums so far. I think this is a brilliant solution to the problem at hand.

Chthulu

08-31-2010

So I've given some thought to tweaking these, based on the concept that too many slows in the game could be problematic (I am inclined to agree with this; Bligewater Cutlass' slow is devastating)

It's difficult to approach, however, because that slow is precisely the reason, I think, that the item is desirable on some champions.

Methinks that the slowing becomes predominantly an issue on the Weighted Anchor, and less so on the Saber of the Soulless (which has an active that essentially works as Kayle's Reckoning (would be ghastly combined with Kayle's Reckoning) with an additional healing reduction debuff)

That said;

Quote:
Weighted Anchor (4125)

+80 Damage, +15% lifesteal, +25 Health Regen per 5, +8 Mana Regen per 5, UNIQUE Passive: Your attacks Splash, dealing (increased percentage) Physical Damage in a small (slightly enlarged) area around the target. Unique: Active Deals 400 magic damage in an AoE, causes on hit effects to splash, and increases splash radius (lasts 4 seconds). 60 second cooldown.
That way, with a Frozen Mallet, you'll cause hellish slowing, but without, you'll just cause considerable damage. The on-hit effects splashing will also mean that the lifesteal becomes considerably more beneficial.

Chthulu

09-05-2010

I tell ya... I've been using both Bilgewater Cutlass and Executioner's Calling on a couple of different heroes over the past couple days.
I would love so much for them to combine...

Just watering the seeds.

Necrosis627

09-05-2010

I like the idea of buffing/mixing useless/unused items like malady, tiamat, philospher stone, haunting guise, etc so they become more popular/useful. Good concepts I hope we eventually see them in-game.

Chthulu

09-09-2010

Again, Bilgewater Cutlass has so much potential, it is a tremendous pity it can become solely a Hextech Gunblade, especially on champions (Olaf, Mundo, Tryndamere, etc.) for whom AP is entirely, or borderline useless.

I'd put Saber of the Soulless on 'em in a heartbeat.