Leona: Comprehensive Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Life In Color

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Tell the truth brotha!

I tried Leona top once, was so lovely...when it's against Panthon at least. She is just like Malp top against him, just with more CC and in your face. Would like to be able to jungle with her with a little less risk or just a little more speed or top with her without fear of being eaten by anyone with any form of sustain at Lv1.

Dark Kuno

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life In Color View Post
Tell the truth brotha!

I tried Leona top once, was so lovely...when it's against Panthon at least. She is just likely Malp top against him, just with more CC and in your face. Would like to be able to jungle with her with a little less risk or just a little more speed or top with her without fear of being eaten by anyone with any farm of sustain at Lv1.
Problem is that past level 4 or so she just gets pushed around. She can farm a wave decently if you build a little AP on her, but that's all she can do. She can't kill anyone by her self even if you give her a small item advantage.

Part of that is due to the fact that her damage potential is factoring in her passive, which doesn't exist when she's alone.

She's mechanically designed to get assists, which is not something you want to put in a solo lane. That design might work as a jungler, but her lack of damage output between cd's prevents her from doing that effectively.

She can go solo top, but the problem is that literally any other champ would function better there.

Life In Color

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2012

Yup, there are better solo tops. Though Panthon can't do anything even after a few levels top. Hell I just got to jump on him two to three times, and I'm very likely to get a kill using my ult afterwards.

Though everything else just rocks me...

Even when I got fed that game top, even with a early sunfire, people hurt me so freaking easily in a team fight. I'm a 5/0 tank and I still didn't bring much to the team fight. if Naut or Amumu was 5/0 before the game hit 15 minutes, it was done. They can get it much easier and I worked my butt off for it, their Shaco camped my lane like a mfo.

Totalsalsa

07-10-2012

I am unsure if this idea has been said for Leona so I apologize if I rehash the idea.

However, it seems to me that if you make leona more of a threat than she is, many problems would be fixed. I think you could do this by adding to her passive a bit.

"Leona's physicals attacks add additional sunlight charges to the enemy champion"

Obviously, we cannot have all her melee attacks add charges, or that would be very OP early game. However, this passive would apply only if the target is already marked from one of her abilities. When the charge is procc'd by fellow teammate, everything resets to normal.

Not only would this help fortify the role Riot has already placed her in, it would make her a large single target threat - especially if the damage from the passive would scale with the number of stacks and level.

Additionally, this could open other avenues to play leona. For instance, prioritizing attack speed could be a viable option since you'd want to build up them charges for massive damage.

- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- ---- -

If I had my way, I'd throw out the damage mechanic of her passive in present form. In my experience, there have been many times my teammates don't know how Leona's passive works to begin with. I can't tell you how many times I've had an Ashe or other physical DPS not try for auto attacks early game to get that extra damage.

I am no developer, however, making the sunlight charge do some damage on their own would be very nice and accepted by the community. I am not suggesting the "self proc" ability that many have vouched for. Instead I think giving the sunlight charge a small DoT, that scales with level, would be very nice. In my mind it would do a fair, yet small amount of damage on it's own. However, let it share the properties of a Sunfire Cape where that damage will also apply the DoT damage to other opponents in close proximity.

For instance, say 3 opponents are hit by Leona's ult. Each get a sunlight charge and each would share a portion of DoT damage (based on level/AP/ or whatever) while they remain in close proximity to each other.

In my opinion, this would create more pressure in team fights than she currently does.

-- -- -- --

These are my thoughts, take them, rip them up - do whatever you need to. But i'd defiantly like a change somewhere as I am intrigued by her mechanics.

Dark Kuno

07-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalsalsa View Post
I am unsure if this idea has been said for Leona so I apologize if I rehash the idea.

However, it seems to me that if you make leona more of a threat than she is, many problems would be fixed. I think you could do this by adding to her passive a bit.

"Leona's physicals attacks add additional sunlight charges to the enemy champion"

Obviously, we cannot have all her melee attacks add charges, or that would be very OP early game. However, this passive would apply only if the target is already marked from one of her abilities. When the charge is procc'd by fellow teammate, everything resets to normal.

Not only would this help fortify the role Riot has already placed her in, it would make her a large single target threat - especially if the damage from the passive would scale with the number of stacks and level.

Additionally, this could open other avenues to play leona. For instance, prioritizing attack speed could be a viable option since you'd want to build up them charges for massive damage.
This still wouldn't fix the main problem that she has no passive by herself and because of this can do nothing except be aggressive support bot lane.

Additionally, you'd never see this mechanic actually in effect because any target she jumps on is going to be getting attacked by teammates so her initial application of sunlight will have long since been triggered before she attoattacks again.

Quote:
I am no developer, however, making the sunlight charge do some damage on their own would be very nice and accepted by the community. I am not suggesting the "self proc" ability that many have vouched for. Instead I think giving the sunlight charge a small DoT, that scales with level, would be very nice. In my mind it would do a fair, yet small amount of damage on it's own. However, let it share the properties of a Sunfire Cape where that damage will also apply the DoT damage to other opponents in close proximity.

For instance, say 3 opponents are hit by Leona's ult. Each get a sunlight charge and each would share a portion of DoT damage (based on level/AP/ or whatever) while they remain in close proximity to each other.

In my opinion, this would create more pressure in team fights than she currently does.
I've always been a proponent of making her passive a DoT but keeping the "friends can make it go boom" aspect. But making it an AoE dot feels like it would be too strong considering all but one of her abilities can hit multiple targets. That might be a bit too much damage

Lets us Rush

07-11-2012

Wow I read the first portion of this and I love it. :P Leona is my main and i would only have one mastery/rune page if it was not for her toolkit. I'm adequate at landing my stuns about 80% of the time and when i go against a team who cannot counter her I can reign supreme in team fights with my W/R. The thing is agile champions make it hard to secure a gank with the lack of damage I deal with all my toolkit on cooldown. This seems to balance her and makes it seem like shes actually viable in ranked. Currently I only support boy in normals since no one knows how she plays. But usually I can get away with her in draft since it seem NO ONE knows the burst she can produce. I like to say shes OP but i always think she was missing something. If Riot can come through and make leona more useful and viable I would be so happy! The problem is her W might get nerfed D:

ninbushido

07-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Kuno View Post
Here's how you fix Leona to make her viable outside of Bot lane.

Sunlight (Passive)
Current
Leona's damaging spells affect the target with Sunlight for 3.5 seconds. When allied champions deal damage to those targets, they consume the Sunlight debuff to deal 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 / 95 / 110 / 125 / 140 (increasing every 2 levels) additional magic damage.

Suggested

Leona's damaging spells affect the target with Sunlight, dealing 20 / 35 / 50 / 65 / 80 / 95 / 110 / 125 / 140 (increasing every 2 levels) over 3.5 seconds. This affect can stack up to 3 times. When allied champions deal damage to those targets, they consume the Sunlight debuff to deal additional magic damage equal to the remaining affect.

This lets the designers cling to the faulted concept of wanting her abilities to promote "team play" when LoL is already a team based game and the same concept is not applied to ANY champ in the game. But it would then give her the ability to solo/jungle so that she's not left in the pigeon hole she currently is in as aggressive quasi-tank support for bot lane.

Zenith Blade (E)
Current
Leona projects a solar image of her sword, dealing magic damage to all enemies in a line. When the image fades, the last enemy champion struck will be briefly immobilized and Leona will dash to them.

Suggested

Passive: Leona's basic attacks deal 10/20/30/40/50 + 20% of AP bonus magic damage. This affect does not apply Sunlight.

Active: Leona projects a solar image of her sword, dealing magic damage to all enemies in a line. When the image fades, the last enemy champion struck will be briefly immobilized and Leona will dash to them.

Again a small buff to address the fact that outside of her cooldowns, Leona does no damage. Again combined with the suggested change to her passive, would allow her to be a viable solo/jungle choice without overpowering the things about her that make her good in Bot lane.
I like this. The passive fits her theme as "empowered sword of the Solari", giving her extra AA damage. Also I have another idea for Leona I really like, in my list. Her Zenith Blade should deal damage in two parts. One when she extends it, two, only to the target she dashes to. That will encourage more skillful play to make sure she hits the enemy AD carry LAST. Oh and also that if she does not hit champions, the ability becomes like Lee Sin's, allowing her to to manually activate it again to be able to dash to the last minion, but she won't dash if she does not activate the second part, IF she does not hit a champion with Zenith Blade. This could give her some more potential escapes in lane and in the jungle. And finally, her stun needs the cast time remove. Which other auto-attack enhancers have a cast time?
I also did some more research, and found out that GALIO'S SHIELD GIVES MORE MRES AND ARMOR THAN LEONA'S. And it heals him. AND it can be placed on an ally in a pinch if needed. Combined with his passive, it's amazing. And he still has tons of CC with his slow, his Righteous Gust for damage, running, and chasing, as well as a much more game-changing ultimate than Leona's, because it deals MUCH more damage. Leona's "pure tank" title is truly BS now. If she's a true tank her resistances with her Eclipse have to be 60/85/110/135/160, because she really does **** damage. Some more research done shows that Even Sejuani is more viable than Leona. Boar lady's AoE stun is a skillshot as well, and stuns for 2 seconds on the primary target. her consistent, point blank AoE damage is damage over time, but it does 50% more damage to targets affected with her passive, as well as its damage SCALING OFF MAX HEALTH. Sejuani is more viable than Leona, in the jungle. And possibly even solo lane or support, as she can gap close with her charge and slow. And everyone knows how under-played Sejuani is...Leona really needs a buff. Her W should scale with maximum health too.
Also a final idea for Leona's Q, Shield of the Daybreak - Every 5th auto-attack, Leona deals additional damage and stuns her target for 0.5 seconds. If Sunlight is on the target, the attack will consume the mark to deal its full damage and re-apply the DoT (based on Dark Kuno's idea).
Again, everyone remember to keep bumping this thread!

Chill77

07-11-2012

Well, gonna bump this because Leona needs at least some buffs and I want Riot to at least acknowledge that they're working on something. Just one word would put a lot of players' minds at ease.

ninbushido

07-14-2012

Thank you ^^

ninbushido

07-17-2012

Just played another Leona game. Got my Varus very fed, find that they work surprisingly well. The enemy Kog'maw and Alistar couldn't really do **** to us. Leona's passive is really good early game, but then, as the thread presents, late game it just really sucks...sure, getting the carry fed is a good thing to "carry" into late game, but it'd be a lot satisfying to play Leona if she were able to actually do some damage and get a target down like Nautilus, instead of using her combo and then she's finished...
I had an idea for Leona's Zenith Blade based on Dark Kuno's idea, that it would grant a passive auto-attack enhancer, but based on MRes and Armor and max health, albeit a smaller percentage.