Leona: Comprehensive Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

rootsoflust

Senior Member

02-16-2013

Change the tittle of the thread to include @RIOT.
As i am very curious about riots plans for Leona, because as much as i love her she just is not that fun to play when other champs outclass her in so many ways.......


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feefeekiller

Senior Member

02-18-2013

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...9#post34788799
I feel supports as a whole are under-valued, by players and Riot. I believe all supports need to get together and make our voices heard. Leona isn't the only support champ in need of love, in fact, supports as a role need love. The S3 changes were a start, but we need to keep the ball rolling.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

P1lgr1m

Senior Member

02-18-2013

Leo can take a slight advantage in lane and turn it into a massive one if the enemies aren't very careful. Also, aoe slow/stun/mark on her ult with SUPER short cd? and your saying she is bad?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aurasai

Member

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyL1ttl3Pwny View Post
Leo can take a slight advantage in lane and turn it into a massive one if the enemies aren't very careful. Also, aoe slow/stun/mark on her ult with SUPER short cd? and your saying she is bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurasai View Post
Leona is highly risk based and that is the reason she is not really viable apart of pub games. There are 3 scenarios, 1st of which you fight against opponents who lack the basic concept of “awareness”, “hard cc” and “playing safe against opponents that overpower you in a fight (which you do get a lot in Normal games), in which case both Leona and “someone else” get fed, and their opponents write in the forum that “Leona is fine” (for everyone who feels offended by this… you fill my heart with joy!), or the other (and more often) in which case there is a very boring game in bot lane where nothing happens and Leona suddenly realizes she is no longer a “support”, but a melee champion who is made to be played as a tank, without any tanking items, and the 3rd which is a reverse of the 1st. Another tank-ish problem in the second scenario is that she is a threat only when engaging in a fight, till she blows all her cooldowns, usually the moment the teamfight starts.
Lets not forget that Leona was designed to be a tank, but due to a major flaw in her passive she is not usable in any lane apart of bot, which in itself is a problem. Feel free to follow the quote as it is a giant post showing nearly all of her problems shown in the thread with a possible rework that is much discussed later on...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

watchyabackboy

Member

02-18-2013

She is fine. Her utility is amazing and she can even jungle reasonably well. Are you upset she can't top lane. Not sure what you want her to be. Slippery slope before we are playing wow and all champs can do everything well and it's boring as hell.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shuggendo

Member

02-18-2013

After playing Leona intensively these past few months, I've come to term with her flaws. She *is* viable, she's just not OP. And that's good I guess! A balanced champ, that's hard to get. Sure she isn't that versatile lane-wise, but she's still a great asset to any team. Most team lack tankiness generally, so having a tank support like Leona is awesome when this happens, instead of taking the squishier ranged supports. She just needs to watch out for counters like Blitzcrank (he can literally deny any of her CC as he keeps her at bay with his.) Since Leona has no CC that can't be shortened, she just needs to be more aware of who has tenacity and focus the right person.

She doesn't really need any major change in my opinion, her skill set is marvelous and just goes very well with any carry. And even if her passive can't be proc'd by herself, she still has decent base burst, I often finish off enemy carries running away with a quick WEQ combo, even alone. I think something that would really compliment her is a short blind if she hits someone with Eclipse's burst. It would still be vulnerable to tenacity, but hey, if she can blind the enemy carry to protect her carry, that'd be awesome (and would fit very well with the sun theme). What carry builds mercs anyways?

But yeah, even without a blind I believe she's quite balanced and deserves her spot in the viable champion roster. She's a lot of fun to play when you like agressive supports.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Keitterman

Senior Member

02-18-2013

I just wish she was more tanky. She's actually retty squishy because hse has to build support items, and has limited cash. If she builds tanky, it'll cost her too much and she won't keep up. If she builds support, she can't really take too many hits.

Tankier pls. Thanks.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fargo79

Senior Member

02-18-2013

I play Leona as a main "support" champ... and here is how i fix the Cash problem... Run Armor marks, GP 10 Seals, MR glyphs and GP quints.. then in masteries take 1/13/16... after getting yer philo stone u will actually be making about 12-13 gold per 10 secs.. not including the intiate gold generating from the game.. after that grab a giants belt and couple of pinks and green wards and yer laughing... from there rush the warmogs... the extra HP helps u take those hits when yer shield is on CD.. from there build emblem of valor and build aegis... grab a lvl 1 boots as well when u have the 350 gold.. from there see what u need MR adn tenacity or armor.. and finish boots... with these runes and masteries you should be able to make at least 10-12k gold... and thats enough for your core items...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fargo79

Senior Member

02-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuggendo View Post
After playing Leona intensively these past few months, I've come to term with her flaws. She *is* viable, she's just not OP. And that's good I guess! A balanced champ, that's hard to get. Sure she isn't that versatile lane-wise, but she's still a great asset to any team. Most team lack tankiness generally, so having a tank support like Leona is awesome when this happens, instead of taking the squishier ranged supports. She just needs to watch out for counters like Blitzcrank (he can literally deny any of her CC as he keeps her at bay with his.) Since Leona has no CC that can't be shortened, she just needs to be more aware of who has tenacity and focus the right person.

She doesn't really need any major change in my opinion, her skill set is marvelous and just goes very well with any carry. And even if her passive can't be proc'd by herself, she still has decent base burst, I often finish off enemy carries running away with a quick WEQ combo, even alone. I think something that would really compliment her is a short blind if she hits someone with Eclipse's burst. It would still be vulnerable to tenacity, but hey, if she can blind the enemy carry to protect her carry, that'd be awesome (and would fit very well with the sun theme). What carry builds mercs anyways?

But yeah, even without a blind I believe she's quite balanced and deserves her spot in the viable champion roster. She's a lot of fun to play when you like agressive supports.
i dont find blitz an issue at all.. in fact i like it when he pulls me in.. ill take the pull and the knock up.. then i zip the his adc and he is stancding there with nothing to do... the support i have issues with are champs like Lulu.. cause she does good damage, easy CC.. and her utli can buff the adc or the ganking jungler and totally turn the tide of a fight...

the only pain with blitz is if u have a stupid adc on your team who cant keep a minion in between himself and blitz and always extends with a blitz in the bush it can cause the lane to be finished before the game started...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aurasai

Member

02-19-2013

The purpose of the thread is not to change her "fine" early support role, but improve her very bad and unreliable lategame and give her the possibillity of playing in another lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchyabackboy View Post
She is fine. Her utility is amazing and she can even jungle reasonably well. Are you upset she can't top lane. Not sure what you want her to be. Slippery slope before we are playing wow and all champs can do everything well and it's boring as hell.
Is there any reason a for a champion to be "viable" only in a single lane? Should Nidalee or Kayle fill a single role? Speaking of Leona jungle, her clear time is painfully slow and her ganking is not better than... say Alistar, Amumu, Riven, Jax, Xin, Nautilius and MANY more, who are MUCH better than her lategame. Compared to the other supports early game if you can manage against champions with some kind of escape/poke or possibly win lane you will be ok, untill you get to lategame where ,apart of a nice cc that is hard to perform on a target of choice due to your lack of any tanking items, you don't benefit your team in any other way (wards work the same way no matter if you are a support or not).
Now lets compare Leona to the other TRADITIONAL supports:
Soraka, Janna, Nami, Sona, Lulu - sustain between fights, safe cc, all of them offer a boost to survivabillity on a teammate by some way
Janna and Nami have gamebreaking ults (not saying that those of the others are bad either)
Blitzcrank - no need to talk about him being a support - can be played as a jungler with unbelievably fast jungle clear time, effectively being a tank or a bruiser lategame
Nunu - is a viable jungler you see often and can allso be played as AP as his ult can nullify your team with a tiny bit of AP
Alistar - pretty much doing the same job as Leona while being harder to kill, doing more damage and having a sustain... lets not even start on his jungle
Taric is Taric...
Thresh - can be played as a jungler and at top aswell
Karma - being reworked (well not really traditional )
there are allso those like Zyra, Lux, Morgana, Nautilius, Amumu, Shen and many other who have proved themselves viable in other lanes years ago.

With all this being said i feel there is no reason for Leona players to not have the choice of playing her in other lanes, especially with her potential as a jungler and a tank, given she actually has a passive skill and damage to duel. While all this there is no reason for her lategame to not be improved to be as good as the other support champions aswell. While I do agree she is not "bad", she is not GOOD either and simply being "very fun to play" is not enough for a champion to be good.

Now honestly I think it will be better if instead we are repeating the same sentances over and over again on a 28 page thread we should focus on "what should be done?" as they are plenty of possible rework ideas that are constantly brought up, that no one is spending a word for! Like for example the last post on page 27 that most likely no one checked.