Riot You Fail So, So Hard...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SmellsLikeFatGuy

06-21-2012

It would be hilarious, if it wasn't so sad. How can you be this incompetent...the horror, the horror

Little Boy Nate

06-21-2012

Make this guy the CEO of Riot, see how fast the servers get fixed.

Oh right, they never would.

SmellsLikeFatGuy

06-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxijazz View Post
Make this guy the CEO of Riot, see how fast the servers get fixed.

Oh right, they never would.
Actually they would. Making assumptions is never a smart move...

RiceChrispy

06-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsLikeFatGuy View Post
Actually they would. Making assumptions is never a smart move...
lol k bud

SmellsLikeFatGuy

06-21-2012

I appreciate the sarcasm, but I suppose it doesn't occur to you that I develop proprietary software and maintain server farms for a company well outside the scope of Riot's. But then again, I suppose I could be making it up...I really don't care what you think, but we simulate catastrophic infrastructure collapses as part of our contingency plans including every possible scenario including power surges, disasters, security breaches, physical destruction, etc...and we are always at a functional, if not fully operational state within hours. But like I said, you can choose not to believe me. All I know is that if this happened where I work, we would all be on the streets - that is what I meant by incompetence. Even that is a relative term...perhaps we are held to a higher standard than game developers, who knows?

Sam Is Whoa

06-21-2012

I hate to say it but OP is right. This wasnt a problem where the patch they rolled out had bad code and messed up the game. This is the second time they tried rolling out the same patch and it failed. They then fix the patch only somewhat and roll it out anyway making ppl wait 2 hrs to logon. Then they drop servers again and state its a hardware failure.The issue was not severe because they were fixed in less than 2 hrs. The testing was underway only to find out there is now a problem with their website.

This amount of problems for this long for a company that relies on up-time to make money is unacceptable. Someone or some department messed up royally.

If you were the admin for a million dollar company that relies on server up-time to make money and you were down for almost a week you would be fired. There is no if ands or buts about it. You lost your company thousands of dollars because either you didnt monitor your network correctly or you rolled out patches that werent tested properly. Someone payed for this.

LoLersBane

06-21-2012

server problems on an online game *Gasp* how is that possible.

Little Boy Nate

06-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellsLikeFatGuy View Post
I appreciate the sarcasm, but I suppose it doesn't occur to you that I develop proprietary software and maintain server farms for a company well outside the scope of Riot's. But then again, I suppose I could be making it up...I really don't care what you think, but we simulate catastrophic infrastructure collapses as part of our contingency plans including every possible scenario including power surges, disasters, security breaches, physical destruction, etc...and we are always at a functional, if not fully operational state within hours. But like I said, you can choose not to believe me. All I know is that if this happened where I work, we would all be on the streets - that is what I meant by incompetence. Even that is a relative term...perhaps we are held to a higher standard than game developers, who knows?
Seems Legit. Except for the fact that the servers ARE up and operational within a few hours, but then because so many people have been waiting to play they are messed up for another couple hours because you can't let everyone on at the same time. That isn't a server problem, it's a people problem.

Akahukaji

06-21-2012

Honestly we should be paitent, RIOT is always trying to provide their players and gamers with the newest of characters per month, the best gaming experiance possible, and even strategy guidelines. They constantly update the game and i appreciate the hard work they put into this. I'm not saying you're incompetant i'm just asking that we be paitent during this matter. thanks,
Akahukaji

SmellsLikeFatGuy

06-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Is Whoa View Post
I hate to say it but OP is right. This wasnt a problem where the patch they rolled out had bad code and messed up the game. This is the second time they tried rolling out the same patch and it failed. They then fix the patch only somewhat and roll it out anyway making ppl wait 2 hrs to logon. Then they drop servers again and state its a hardware failure.The issue was not severe because they were fixed in less than 2 hrs. The testing was underway only to find out there is now a problem with their website.

This amount of problems for this long for a company that relies on up-time to make money is unacceptable. Someone or some department messed up royally.

If you were the admin for a million dollar company that relies on server up-time to make money and you were down for almost a week you would be fired. There is no if ands or buts about it. You lost your company thousands of dollars because either you didnt monitor your network correctly or you rolled out patches that werent tested properly. Someone payed for this.
I'm not happy to post what I posted, but your sentiments reflect mine exactly. I don't know of any major enterprise that wouldn't send heads rolling for something like this...