[HELP] Malphite Tank Build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bhagat

06-21-2012

Hello, I've been searching on the web for a latest tank build for Malphite and have failed at finding any. I want to know what sort of items should I specifically get during a game, depending on what sort of team I'm going up against. What items should I use for a CC team, team with a lot of AP, and AD as well.

Thanks!

Number1Dime

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-21-2012

If you are up against melee AD champions. I recommend you Build up Ninja Tabi Boots and then Build up Randuin's Omen. Pure Tanking just keep building up Randuin's Omen start with Heart of Gold best way to stay on defense and still get gold. Stacked up Heart of Gold will at least be 20 per 5 Secs. That's the build i always use for pure tank with Malphite. Hope this helps a little.

XCodes

06-21-2012

On Malphite, always build Randuin's. Too good on him.

That also means always build a Heart of Gold early.

You should also build a Philo Stone early since you're basically a caster early game. You may even be playing in the support position and need the extra income, too.

Philo Stone builds into Shrueyla's Reverie, which is cheap and effective at what it does.

Last item you should get is Frozen Heart. Malphite likes armor a lot, and Frozen Heart adds a lot of it. It also has the slow aura, which is pretty much exactly the kind of thing a tank wants to do.

As a nifty side-effect, these three items max out your CDR.

Beyond that, it depends on what you go up against. You'll probably want Ninja Tabi for laning phase. Merc Treads aren't terribly important on a tank, you should be thanking the other team for CCing you instead of a carry. You'll probably want an MR item, and both Banshee's Veil and Force of Nature fit that nicely. If you want more damage, which can be help Malphite push, then Maw of Malmortius works, too. If you want to be more of a team-player, then Aegis of the Legion is amazingly useful there.

Last item should probably be geared towards increasing HP more. Warmog's has to be mentioned, although I'm not a huge fan, personally. Frozen Mallet is the next big-number item, although Malphite has tons of slowing power, already. Not sure it's important here. Another item to consider is a Rod of Ages. It will boost some of Malphite's spells and give a hefty boost to HP and Mana. Last is Sunfire Cape, which is notable in that it gives more armor in addition to a nice chunk of HP, and the damage aura will help you push lanes better late-game.

Bhagat

06-22-2012

Thank you guys for the great input. I'll be incorporating all the into a game!

Just a side question, whatever happen to people using Thornmail? Finding that item on a guide is almost unheard of now.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhagat View Post
Thank you guys for the great input. I'll be incorporating all the into a game!

Just a side question, whatever happen to people using Thornmail? Finding that item on a guide is almost unheard of now.
Thornmail is good vs autoattackers. Many of the best top laners don't really autoattack, but are physical casters or bruisers. They won't take any return damage from the thornmail for the most part.
So you pay 2000g for 1500g worth of armor.

As opposed to getting a Frozen Heart which costs 2700g but gives a huge 20% CDR, tons of mana, and the nasty aura that hozes all enemies.
Or a Wardens that can be upgraded to Randuins giving more health (which is needed), and the clickey which is great to slow enemies after your Ult initiation. Or a sunfire or atmas, or even aegis, or that new armor/shield HoG upgrade, or just sticking with the armor gained from Wriggles that many tops take.