[Guide] Gangplank - Built like a keg, hits like a tidal wave

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carados

09-05-2010

Re: Runes: Dodge is always better then HP/Level. Please don't give bad advice. You may like them better, but they're useless.

Why people continue to use these things is beyond me.

Shinnyshin

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Re: Runes: Dodge is always better then HP/Level. Please don't give bad advice. You may like them better, but they're useless.
Not necessarily. I will agree that dodge is overall more efficient as a defensive mechanism, yes. But it really only works against physical attacks. If you're equally worried about physical and magical abilities, then dodge is probably more efficient. But as Gangplank, I often find myself at the back of fights, dealing damage to strong people with parrley and finishing off weaker ones that I can take with physical attacks. During the laning phase particularly and even during teamfights, it's ranged attacks and abilities that are the most threatening to me. And the most threatening ranged moves are...spells. A stun from Anivia, a Kassadin silence, Morg's dark binding (this more in laning than teamfights), etc...

Basically, my Plank is usually weaker in melee than dedicated melee champs and stronger up close against ranged/casters. So you're going to be placing yourself in the range of fire against hazardous spells a lot more than physical attacks.

It really depends on the kind of Plank you play, but I'm slightly more afraid of casters than melee DPS, so HP/level makes sense. That said, I use dodge runes because I already had a full dodge set from my tank pages.

Carados

09-05-2010

If you want HP, get flat HP. It gives you more HP when HP matters most, as opposed to HP/Level, which gives you an unoticable amount of HP at all times, and thus is worthless at all times.

HP/Level runes are useless.

Disaresta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-05-2010

Interesting way to play Gangplank. I definitely want to try it. I seem to position myself poorly on certain character and get punished for it. This build seems a little more forgiving.

I can agree with what people are saying about dodge. But since you're probably not going to be focused, most of your incoming damage would be from AOE. There were the HP runes would be superior.

Shinnyshin

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
If you want HP, get flat HP. It gives you more HP when HP matters most, as opposed to HP/Level, which gives you an unoticable amount of HP at all times, and thus is worthless at all times.

HP/Level runes are useless.
Once again, I'd say you're typically right, but things are circumstantial. If you tend to hold back more during the early/mid game, then you obviously don't have to worry about health as much. I find myself in the fray as Plank the most late-game. Hell, 2/3rds of my deaths usually come in the last 10 minutes of the game, when I start just charging in and getting focused (often die, but they get aced as a result).

If this build has a particular strength or weakness that makes it more compatible with a certain type of rune, that's worth some consideration.

P.S. Do you downvote anyone who disagrees with you, regardless of how they go about it?

Ennbeard

09-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Mage View Post
pure 'cirtplank' is the only way gangplank is supposed to be played why else would he have the only skill that scales with crit in the game?? And guess what, I played gangplank a while back and went 23-11-8 with the supposedly 'bad' build lol

wtf is a hard carry, hes an easy hero to play and he has plenty of sustianed dps when hes critting for 1700 damage each parley lol

just learn to play him better and maybe you wont have to stack HP and defense to survivbe a fight

if I ever see a gangplank on my team (that I don't dodge) build defense items like this you can bet hes the reason for my loss
Congratulations. You've both shown that you're bad at the game AND stupid.

First. Every Character has a skill scaling with Crit. It's called auto attacks. Shaco has Deceive, Trynd has built in crit chance. So Gangplank has one ability that can crit. Lets build around that. Kassadin has one ability that penetrates armour. Lets build around that as well!

I've seen BATTLE SORAKA go 25 / something / something. Stomping noobs with a certain build =/= it actually being useful.

A hard carry is someone who is actually designed to carry. They usually are either ranged (Ashe, Ezreal), or have a distance closer (Spinning slash with Trynd, Alpha strike as Yi) as well as some form of survivability (Undying rage, Arcane shift).

Gangplank does have a steroid skill in Raise morale. However it's far too situational, and even after it he doesn't have the distance closer unless you flash or ghost in. And when you do, you get stunned, eat oranges, and then get stunned again if you haven't died.

On top of that, 1700 Crits are 1. Not going to happen due to Armour existing in the game, and 2. Not sustained DPS. They are burst damage. And if the enemy team merely so much as glances at a Guardian angel, sunfire, Aegis, or Randuins, you're damage is cut in half and you will be blown up by one volley of spells.

Dizzeh

09-06-2010

In regards to the HP/lvl runes over dodge runes, I'm just a bigger fan of consistency and being able to precisely judge how far you can extend in a fight (ie; do you go for that kill every time with 1200 HP and 9% dodge or with 1400 HP and 2% dodge.) It is also because HP protects you against both damage types while dodge really only helps you with auto attacks (that really are not going to be your big threat in team fights until pretty late game). For 90% of my games I would take HP/lvl seals over dodge runes no question; it's just those games with 2-3 physical carries that I would considered dodge worthwhile.

I'd also like to point out that HP/lvl seals will give you more HP than flats starting at level 5 (a very good deal, 5.35 HP vs 19.44 HP at 18) while the HP/lvl quints will give you more HP than flats starting at level 12 (not a very good deal, 32.4 HP vs 48.6 at 18). I find that with just a doran's ring and using arpen quints and HP/lvl seals I still have enough HP early game to survive most gank attempts (though normally I still use HP quints if going chalice or just want to feel more comfortable in a 2v1 lane). Those HP/lvl seals really do have an impact mid game though, not only does it add a little more damage to the weaker early atma's, but in mid game the burst damage is fairly low and even an extra 120 HP could mean the difference in surviving those crucial team fights.

I can see the benefits vs a team with bloodrazer user(s) too, but really this build was by design going to be countered by that if you can't make them the priority target. I learned yesterday that a good kog can completely shut you down if you use this build, I really can't see a good way to counter him outside of trying to focus him down fast enough or just prevent his farm early/mid game.

Nightdancer ND

09-13-2010

You can heal yourself and more important you can remove ANY stun, root effect with it and escape => you don't need that much HP/Armor stuff.

Brawlers Fist + heal potions
1th Averice Blade + Boots 1
2nd Averice Blade
upgrade to Berserker's
the order of your next items depends on your money
Zeal / BF Sword / Giant's Belt
upgrade to Frozen Mallet
the next upgrade is up to you, IE then Phantom Dancer or vice versa

An average game is over by now.
If it is not over yet, sell one Averice Blade for a second Phantom Dancer or get a Blood Thirster
Sell the last Averice Blade and grab the other item.

TheChiatroll

09-13-2010

I don't think the tank meta where tanks doing the damage is the big thing is anti gangplank specifically as a hurt on bursters in general since they (they being people who are based in a single quick burst like gp or ryze) lack a squishy to assassinate when everyone is wearing 80 tons of steel and anything standing next to them is burned in a fire.

Dizzeh

01-13-2011

Well. It's been a while, but the couple games I've played from coming off several months of a break, this build still seems plenty viable. The addition of -15% cooldown boots is tempting to get as well if you don't need mercs. I think Last Whisper may be a fantastic third core item as well with the changes to it (+40 damage +40% ignored armor). Also, I've made a switch from using armor pen runes to using damage/lvl runes (quints and marks only, but they give +35 damage at 18).

I just have one question if anyone happens to have the answer; does the slow from frozen mallet (and red buff) apply a 40% or 30% move speed reduction when combined with parley? 30% wouldn't be such a huge nerf, but parley with mallet is your real gap closer after your ult.