Correct usage of the term "DPS"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BarrSupport

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokai View Post
more like the champion pyramid. like i said. just trying to educate the masses
ok. ill give you a better discription

Champion

Support- this is not a tank, or a DPS.(soraka, taric, etc)
Tank- These usually have alot of CC, and they initiate, taking all of the damage so that his or her team doesnt have to(alistar, shen etc)
DPS tank- These initiate fights, can take a decent amount of damage, and also can put out a decent amount of damage at the same time(amumu, garen, etc)
Mage tank- a burst damage tank (cho gath, gragas, etc)
DPS- does alot of damage over a consistant period of time. takes damage pretty easily(corki, yi, etc)
Burst damage mage- does alot of damage until his/her cds are used. then they cant do anything.(veigar, anivia, etc)
DPS mage-does magic damage over time(malzahar, morghana, etc)
Burst damage AD- does alot of attack damage over a short period of time. also know as an assassin...(Kat, twitch, etc)


READ THIS before you read whats above>>>vvv
now heres the way thats easiest to say because no one cares about whats above and nor do I. (no one tells the team that we need a burst damage mage, or an assassin. this is what they say)
Tank- initiator
DPS- AD
Mage-AP
support-heal/shield


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lokai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmrush View Post
DPS means damage per second. And I know it's been said a thousand times, but it seems like people are bickering over something that should be fairly easy to understand. All damage is dealt as a function over time, but this isn't what is typically meant by the classification. When a champion is classified as DPS, people are generally referring to a sustained amount of damage versus burst damage. Veigar has a high burst damage, and yeah, it occurs over time because, like everything, must abide by the physical laws of the universe, but he is usually not considered a DPS champion due to the fact that his threat potential drops dramatically after the first two seconds when he casts all his spells. When we look at Yi, the case is different. Yi's threat is persistent, and although his immediately threat may not be as high (well.. depending on how fed he is!), his damage is consistent and his threat increases as a function of time.

So while you are arguing that all characters are DPS characters because you take one interpretation of the term, this isn't how the term is traditionally used and the argument is largely semantical.
Traditionally used? LoL is a new game. Traditional use of the term dps was set years before LoL came out


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Mathrotus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmz View Post
/facepalm. I stated I'd take those numbers for easier math. Either you are stupid or trolling.
You're stupid bro. You go around picking random unproved numbers and declare that veigar does as much dps than xin zhao. What the ****...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IamGrimm

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaguardian View Post
ok. ill give you a better discription

Champion

Support- this is not a tank, or a DPS.(soraka, taric, etc)
Tank- These usually have alot of CC, and they initiate, taking all of the damage so that his or her team doesnt have to(alistar, shen etc)
DPS tank- These initiate fights, can take a decent amount of damage, and also can put out a decent amount of damage at the same time(amumu, garen, etc)
Mage tank- a burst damage tank (cho gath, gragas, etc)
DPS- does alot of damage over a consistant period of time. takes damage pretty easily(corki, yi, etc)
Burst damage mage- does alot of damage until his/her cds are used. then they cant do anything.(veigar, anivia, etc)
DPS mage-does magic damage over time(malzahar, morghana, etc)
Burst damage AD- does alot of attack damage over a short period of time. also know as an assassin...(Kat, twitch, etc)


READ THIS before you read whats above>>>vvv
now heres the way thats easiest to say because no one cares about whats above and nor do I. (no one tells the team that we need a burst damage mage, or an assassin. this is what they say)
Tank- initiator
DPS- AD or AP
support-heal/shield

I agree that you can split up the roles in physical dps and "mage dps".
Physical can be split up in ranged or melee. Regardless: "mage dps" and "physical dps" is still DPS. Hence I "fixed" something in your last section.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mathrotus View Post
You're stupid bro. You go around picking random unproved numbers and declare that veigar does as much dps than xin zhao. What the ****...

*insert trollface here*


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lokai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-28-2010

I'm sorry Aqua but you are wrong both ur "DPS" and "mage" deal damage, therefore they would fit under the same category.

they are not support, they are not tanks, therefore they must be DPS


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BarrSupport

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmz View Post
I agree that you can split up the roles in physical dps and "mage dps".
Physical can be split up in ranged or melee. Regardless: "mage dps" and "physical dps" is still DPS.
yes. you're right, but honestly; who really cares
You know what we are saying when i say "we need a DPS"
you don't have to reply by saying, "dude, DPS is 'yada yada yada'"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Farmrush

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokai View Post
Traditionally used? LoL is a new game. Traditional use of the term dps was set years before LoL came out
I suggest you grab a thesaurus. But, regardless, I was referring to it within the contextual frame of League of Legends. It was not difficult to figure this out.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IamGrimm

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaguardian View Post
yes. you're right, but honestly; who really cares
You know what we are saying when i say "we need a DPS"
you don't have to reply by saying, "dude, DPS is 'yada yada yada'"

Herp =\ Then why'd you split between AD and AP yourself then?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RapeMachine

Member

08-28-2010

haha ITT oP thread backfire, dumbass , if you're going to make a thread claiming **** atleast know what you are talking about


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Mathrotus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-28-2010

Ugh people are so ******ed. I'm done posting here. I just want to add something first...

Have fun losing when your team made of Veigar, Annie, Chogath and Singed asks you to get a dps and you get Ryze.