Correct usage of the term "DPS"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IamGrimm

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kietsu View Post
Veigar, for example, does massive DPS over about 2 seconds, and then does just about zero afterwards.
We give the DPS label to champions with sustained DPS.

Take a timeframe of 10 seconds.

Imagine Xin Zhao.
In 10 seconds, each hit of his does 300 damage. Lets say he hits once per second, for easy math.

That means that in 10 seconds he deals 3000 damage. Take the fact that PER SECOND he deals 300 damage means he has 300 dps.

Now, take that same timeframe. Take Veigar. Imagine Veigar doing 3000 damage in 10 seconds.
Now Veigar bursts!

Second 1: 3000 damage
Second 2: 0 damage
second 3: 0 damage
second 4: 0 damage
second 5: 0 damage
second 6: 0 damage
second 10: 0 damage

Now, easy math can figure out that every second his TOTAL dps decreases. In the end, he still did 3000 damage in 10 seconds. Meaning he has an AVERAGE dps of 300 within a timeframe of 10 seconds.

Yes, even burst casters can be DPS. Take WoW for example, mages are DPS. According to your logic, they aren't.. since they burst.

OP: You forgot support :< meanie.

IMLOwl

08-28-2010

By your logic, Soraka is DPS too, because she can do some amount of damage over some amount of time. Bad logic. If it ain't sustained, it ain't DPS.

AwwGasm

08-28-2010

OP is taking DPS too literally.

It's like how a Blue Waffle isn't a blue waffle.

Lokai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

sustained dps vs burst dps. dps is dps

eSPee

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaguardian View Post
only dps mages are people like amumu, mallzahar, fiddle, and heimer.
Loled

Lord Mathrotus

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimmz View Post
Take a timeframe of 10 seconds.

Imagine Xin Zhao.
In 10 seconds, each hit of his does 300 damage. Lets say he hits once per second, for easy math.

That means that in 10 seconds he deals 3000 damage. Take the fact that PER SECOND he deals 300 damage means he has 300 dps.

Now, take that same timeframe. Take Veigar. Imagine Veigar doing 3000 damage in 10 seconds.
Now Veigar bursts!

Second 1: 3000 damage
Second 2: 0 damage
second 3: 0 damage
second 4: 0 damage
second 5: 0 damage
second 6: 0 damage
second 10: 0 damage

Now, easy math can figure out that every second his TOTAL dps decreases. In the end, he still did 3000 damage in 10 seconds. Meaning he has an AVERAGE dps of 300 within a timeframe of 10 seconds.

Yes, even burst casters can be DPS. Take WoW for example, mages are DPS. According to your logic, they aren't.. since they burst.

Easy math not equal actual numbers. I've yet to see a veigar do 3000 damage in one burst. Also what kind of xin zhao would stack damage without making sure he hits at least twice a second? Make his total dps over 10 seconds at least 4000 plz.

Lokai

08-28-2010

Quote:
Fixed

IamGrimm

08-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Mathrotus View Post
Easy math not equal actual numbers. I've yet to see a veigar do 3000 damage in one burst. Also what kind of xin zhao would stack damage without making sure he hits at least twice a second? Make his total dps over 10 seconds at least 4000 plz.

/facepalm. I stated I'd take those numbers for easier math. Either you are stupid or trolling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMLOwl View Post
By your logic, Soraka is DPS too, because she can do some amount of damage over some amount of time. Bad logic. If it ain't sustained, it ain't DPS.

You don't understand what I have been trying to say. When your role is for doing damage, then burst can be considered DPS. Ofcourse Soraka isn't A dps-class, but she **** well can do DPS (not alot, but please don't make me do the whole "math" thing again.
They can be considered DPS if their role is damaging.

Farmrush

08-28-2010

DPS means damage per second. And I know it's been said a thousand times, but it seems like people are bickering over something that should be fairly easy to understand. All damage is dealt as a function over time, but this isn't what is typically meant by the classification. When a champion is classified as DPS, people are generally referring to a sustained amount of damage versus burst damage. Veigar has a high burst damage, and yeah, it occurs over time because, like everything, must abide by the physical laws of the universe, but he is usually not considered a DPS champion due to the fact that his threat potential drops dramatically after the first two seconds when he casts all his spells. When we look at Yi, the case is different. Yi's threat is persistent, and although his immediately threat may not be as high (well.. depending on how fed he is!), his damage is consistent and his threat increases as a function of time.

So while you are arguing that all characters are DPS characters because you take one interpretation of the term, this isn't how the term is traditionally used and the argument is largely semantical.

Lokai

08-28-2010

Quote:
/facepalm. I stated I'd take those numbers for easier math. Either you are stupid or trolling.

IMLOwl also doesn't understand what I have been trying to say. When your role is for doing damage, then burst can be considered DPS. Ofcourse Soraka isn't A dps-class, but she **** well can do DPS (not alot, but please don't make me do the whole "math" thing again)
yup there are 3 rolls in this game. tank, support, dps. there are 2 ways of filling that dps roll. AP or AD. regardless of if u are sustained or burst, u are still under that DPS roll