Advice for Each Position of Current Meta

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NamKim

06-20-2012

Long story short: ^The Title^
==========================
Long story long:

Hello League of Legends community. I have recently turned Level 30 and have considered starting to play ranked. However, due to my own personality, I decided that I will hold off playing ranked until I am proficient at every role in the current meta, along with specializing in a specific role. Specializing in a specific role is just something that will happen over time as I play more games.

I have several questions I want to ask you, the amazing, nice, talented, and good-looking players of these forums. Just to makes sure we are on the same page, from my understanding, the current meta is a sustainable top, a junlger, a support bot, an AD bot, and an AP mid. In these five roles, a team composition should have a tank, a support, an AP carry, and an AD carry.

I want to ask for suggestions on what champions to use for each role. Please keep in mind that I do not own any RP. I made this account in an awkward period in December where I did not qualify to get RP for the Holidays, this account was not even made when there was that server issue that resulted in everyone getting RP, and apparently you get RP when you level up to level 3. I was very, very sad about not getting any RP...but then I ate some oranges... Plus, most likely I would have spent the RP on skins. So, if you are to suggest champions to me, please try to avoid the 6300 IP or 4800 IP unless you think they are really, really worth it. I own all the 450 IP champions since they were cheap while still being useful to the current meta.

What do you expect from players playing a specific role. Such as, most people expect supports to not farm and ward. Should the support only ward bot lane, should the support buy a ton of wards and ward mid and top? I know that the support is suppose to die in special situations to help save the carries. How often should a jungler gank. Tank should initiate a fight, but what happens afterward? Things like that.

What are preferred summoner spells on certain roles. I know that most people carry flash with them, but when would it be appropriate to replace flash with another skill?

As you can tell, I am not afraid of blocks of text. So, I will try to read everyone's post.

Thank you in advance.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Personsir

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamKim View Post
Such as, most people expect supports to not farm and ward. Should the support only ward bot lane, should the support buy a ton of wards and ward mid and top? I know that the support is suppose to die in special situations to help save the carries.
During the laning phase, each lane should ward for itself. After the laning phase, everybody should still be warding, but the support should be warding more. The support should always die to save the carry if one of you has to die. One way to do this is that if you're in a losing fight, and you're pretty sure one or more of you will die, you can start running the wrong direction towards the enemy base/jungle. Either they'll chase you, saving the other people in the fight, or they'll chase the other people, saving you. Preferably the former, but the latter is acceptable.

Quote:
How often should a jungler gank.
It entirely depends on the jungler. Some junglers are ganking junglers, and some are farming junglers. The short answer is that junglers should gank as much as possible.

Quote:
Tank should initiate a fight, but what happens afterward? Things like that.
After you initiate, you should do one of two things.

A: Get up in the face of the enemy carry, and try and disrupt them with any CC you have, or just by being in the way of their cursor.

B: Stay near your carry and prevent the enemies from doing the above to your carry.

Quote:
What are preferred summoner spells on certain roles. I know that most people carry flash with them, but when would it be appropriate to replace flash with another skill?
Mid almost always takes Ignite/Flash. AD Carries generally take Heal/Flash. Supports generally take Exhaust/Flash. Junglers need to take Smite, and usually take Exhaust or Flash as their second spell. Top lane is pretty dependent on the matchup. You can switch out Flash for an offensive summoner spell (Heal included) if you have good escape/chasing already, and don't need more of it, but want to do better in 1v1 fights. You can switch out Flash for Ghost if you have some sort of way to avoid CC. Ghost will let you cover more distance faster, as long as you don't get CCed. Examples: Vladimir, Olaf, Kayle.