Free to play Free to fail?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Get Tactical

06-20-2012

WaterSmith "you can't really complain because they don't charge for anything, and everything can be earned with IP apart from some unnecessary things such as skins etc."

The first time I read this nonsensical bollocks i truly wondered if a member of Riot had posted on a smurf account. However the past couple weeks of seemingly endless botched boggled and begotten blunders from Riot have shown me there are a great numbers of spineless appreciative people. Thankfully if a corporation tried to feed it's coffers with only monies from just such people it would be bankrupt in due time. If your thinking that because riot doesn't charge you anything to download this game or a monthly subscription to play it, they arn't raking in enough capital to cover their internet and IT bill your uneducated or delusional. The last credible account of this companies worth was near half a billion dollars. The amount of money they are making through advertisements champion skins corporate investing is obscene when given the instability and unreliability in their system. It is a personal choice as to whether or not their failures are forgivable or criminal. I'm a fair and patient man mostly , however as i have recently made this game my primary recreational activity i find it wholly unacceptable that it is only available when the stars align and the correct sacrificial offerings have been made. So whether it is right or wrong of them is as meaningless as it is impossible to determine what remains are the facts. That people generally find passion in 1 game of this nature at a time , and if the current source is not fulfilling or readily available enough ...1 of the many other options will be explored and more satisfying in reliability if not quality. In short you Riot had better start spending some of it's profits on it's growing overhead else your greed will cause your downfall.

Lobuttomize

06-20-2012

If Riot was going to act mediocre they could at least try to pass themselves off as a company that doesn't have enough money to hire more people, get more servers, etc. When you give out millions of dollars to people who win tournaments of your game you're catering to maybe 10 people if there's a second prize. Instead of trying to promote your game you should work on improving it so the people that already like the game aren't driven away. Most other game companies understand this concept and attempt to implement it but it really seems like Riot doesn't. Riot apologizes and probably does feel somewhat bad about making players wait but the fact that they feel sorry holds no meaning when they continue to do it and seemingly aren't attempting to fix it.

xNameless

06-20-2012

You talk a lot of smack but you both fail to give real examples of what you're actually complaining about. Many people may not be experiencing the same problems you are, and so they continue to play.

Also, it's pretty clear that Riot gets much of their money from venture capitalists who have invested in Riot Games. As far as we are led to understand, their primary financial goal IS to be viable on just IP/XP boosts and skins, and they've made no announcement to change that.

Because you have not specified your exact concerns, I can only speculate on what your frustrations are. Currently, if you are like me, you are staring at a login screen telling you your position in the Queue is "over 20,000" (IT'S OVER 9 THOUSSAAAAAAAAND!!!!! heh) and your wait time is constantly 10 minutes (even after 20 minutes have passed). Keep in mind, you are playing on a weekday, during the week when most high schools and colleges have let out for the summer. Did you really think that you're going to hop right into a game during peak game hours (for kids, at least)? Try to calm down.

Lastly, League of Legends has had player growth that is unprecedented. In 3 years they have 32 million accounts and 11.X million monthly players. Do you think Riot Games (still a startup company by any definition) is going to have the means to create that kind of infrastructure that rapidly?

I question your working knowledge of the industry. If you are hot and bothered by 30-minute login waits (Remember World of Warcraft?) and occasional connection issues (when switching to the actual game client), then I'm totally OK with you finding a different game to pass your time. League of Legends is not for everyone.

You get what you pay for.

Dayune

06-20-2012

I fail to see your problem at all... This game is free to attract people. It doesn't mean you have to pay ANYTHING for any buffs. You can't even pay for things that would make you stronger than other players, because that would be too strong over other players who can't afford to pay. This game doesn't spend money because they are trying to get people to join tournaments and play for a show. Many people actually like these tournaments, even if you don't win, because it can also help show an example on how to play for newer Summoners, and also gives people a show.

Lobuttomize

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNameless View Post
You talk a lot of smack but you both fail to give real examples of what you're actually complaining about. Many people may not be experiencing the same problems you are, and so they continue to play.

Also, it's pretty clear that Riot gets much of their money from venture capitalists who have invested in Riot Games. As far as we are led to understand, their primary financial goal IS to be viable on just IP/XP boosts and skins, and they've made no announcement to change that.

Because you have not specified your exact concerns, I can only speculate on what your frustrations are. Currently, if you are like me, you are staring at a login screen telling you your position in the Queue is "over 20,000" (IT'S OVER 9 THOUSSAAAAAAAAND!!!!! heh) and your wait time is constantly 10 minutes (even after 20 minutes have passed). Keep in mind, you are playing on a weekday, during the week when most high schools and colleges have let out for the summer. Did you really think that you're going to hop right into a game during peak game hours (for kids, at least)? Try to calm down.

Lastly, League of Legends has had player growth that is unprecedented. In 3 years they have 32 million accounts and 11.X million monthly players. Do you think Riot Games (still a startup company by any definition) is going to have the means to create that kind of infrastructure that rapidly?

I question your working knowledge of the industry. If you are hot and bothered by 30-minute login waits (Remember World of Warcraft?) and occasional connection issues (when switching to the actual game client), then I'm totally OK with you finding a different game to pass your time. League of Legends is not for everyone.

You get what you pay for.
1. I didn't say anything about IP/RP and the game difficulty being changed by that although it is very slightly easier to play if you pay because most people don't play all day and thus will not be able to get runes as easily as people that do pay. I don't care about that; this game is mostly about skill.

2 + 3. 3 years isn't a very short amount of time. To put this in perspective if you played WoW and didn't just use it as an example you would know that it took about 3 years between the initial release and the release of TBC. I have been playing WoW since vanilla and I do remember server wait times but they were not a very big problem due to a wide variety of servers and even then I was on a high population server and rarely had to wait over 5 minutes to get in on my character.

The major problem with Riot right now is really foresight. They attempt to stop bugs before they hit release and they attempt to stop servers crashing by making people log on slower but these aren't very adequate solutions to the problem. In the first place Riot shouldn't let many bugs past the PBE. They have a sub-forum or whatever you want to call it about reporting these bugs and some of them do get addressed but others end up making it into the release. I don't know why they actually make it into the release whether Riot felt it wasn't urgent or whether they felt they didn't have time to fix it this week. Riot shouldn't release unfinished and untested patches that can ruin a game. Riot is bringing in no where near as much money as Blizzard but they could at least try to give the game and it's fans the loving attention Blizzard does. I actually don't remember the last time WoW was down for hours because a patch was broken. WoW will release patches and then sneak out tons of hotfixes that fixes the game and DOESN'T BREAK IT. I can only hope Riot is at least attempting to get LoL off of Adobe Air as it is a poor platform for a game and everybody always complains about it.