Okay, so, how do I counter Garen ? Needing help.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ashky

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2010

Well, long story made short, there has been a Garen in my last 10 out of 15 matches.
He's hard to kill, a real pain. I've tried everything. Here's how it went.

Tried to out-dps him with a caster. No chance. His silence is way too long for any caster to survive until you can cast a spell again. In the laning phase he would just outrun me with Boots of Swiftness + Q and destroy my squishy champion with his E. Later, when I would do more damage with skills, his Q's silence disables me too much and I can die easily, even when he's not fed. Survival items didn't help much, not even Banshee's Veil.

Tried to outlast him with a tank. Everything was okay in the laning phase. He would still outrun me with Boots of Swiftness and Q, but I don't die to his E because I'm a tank. Later I make a kill on him, fair and square, 1 on 1. Guess what. He returns with Youmuu's Ghostblade and grinds my face. When I revive, a little time passes and he grinds my face again. My 200 armor not affecting his damage output around level 12. Banshee's Veil was decent, but not enough.

I've never seen Garen lose, except for the dumb ones that were always on my team.
Squishy champions are rolled by his silence and high damage from E. Tanks are rolled by his E and R. Fighters stand a small chance against him, but it's not enough.
But I've seen him do more damage with his E than Ryze's 3-skill nuke, I've seen him pop-up his W and then solo 3 enemies, I've seen him getting away with Q+E.
People say he's not OP. No, I'm not QQing. But if he's not OP, then he can be countered.

So, my question is: how do I stop this unstoppable meatgrinder of doom ? He has long silence (Q), good damage reduction (W), high damage (E,R).
And, please, don't reply with "stop QQ he's not op", "l2p noob" or "you can't stop him".

Lunik

08-27-2010

I'm by no means experienced, but I find that any character with a stun will do well against him. It's funny to watch him spin in place. Slows also work, but only after he starts spinning.

Also, you can tell when he's going to attack because his sword will make a sounds and will have light reflect on it.

In teamfights, avoid bunching up, and focus him down as fast as possible ( he's sort of squishy when he isn't fed).

Eppa

08-27-2010

Kite. He is extremely strong in an actual fight sooo don't fight.

DayInTheSun

08-27-2010

you have to continually wear him down with stuns, snares and knockups while also targetting their squishies as well. When you can isolate him in a team fight then he will go down quick. I know it sounds kind of ridiculous, but it's probably the only way to stop him once he gets his items.

Klaumbaz

08-27-2010

Ranged plinking in laning phase wears him down for a kill by level 5.

Twitch, teemo, Mundo are good to keep him weak and in the backfield.

liquidstardust

08-27-2010

U cant beat garen this is nonsense

imhuge

08-27-2010

Tristana

Feeder V

08-27-2010

get a blood razor if ur a dps and kite i fine urgot an easy way to harass garen throw a garnade and then use a missile this can get him down and stop his passive from activating of course this will leave ur mana pretty low ;/

PardonMySwag

08-27-2010

#1 Mistake I see people doing is walking into bushes, followed by getting a face full of judgment. He's pretty easy to wear down early levels (maybe not so for squishy assassin champions, in that case you should switch lanes) any range person will seriously diminsh him - plus he doesn't do well at all late game, so avoid feeding him

Mineomancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2010

Quote:
Tanks are rolled by his E and R.
No. If this is true - they're doing something wrong. Most tanks have decent enough armor that they can laugh at his judgment while standing close enough to slap him in the face. While his R hurts if you're only stacking HPs, keep in mind that his R does MAGIC DAMAGE. So, again, as a tank, you should have a good bit of MR - so this also shouldn't be a problem.

On another note - WW or Yi or almost any carry with a decent amount of lifesteal will laugh at Garen. Sure at low levels you should avoid his E like the plague, especially if you're the carry - but after lvl 12 or so, the scaling of E starts to drop (unless they are building some kind of AD/Crit Garen - most good Garen's I've seen are tanky though) and while it might take awhile to take him down - his is pretty tanky - it's certainly possible.

Starks Fervor is good against Garen.