Service stability - our number one priority.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sergent Lopes

08-29-2010

^Server stability,our number one priority....
well riot,you are funny guys ...i mean you are teeling us thats your number one priority and the server is down like 4 hours now!!!and its like every day now!!!are you taking us for idiots??
you guys are allways 'working' on the server but you never fix the problems!!!
Lets be serious...you guys arent professional enough to keep this going -.-
Players are getting angry and mad because of your promisses and your lies.
You dont even anounced the maintenance this time.You dont give a **** abut us.All you guys do is bringing out new skins and champions to get your money.For the rest you dont give a **** -.-
isnt it riot...?

MasterOfElements

08-29-2010

Maybe you should try to simplify the infrastructure so it can be easier for you to handle it. Is there a real reason why it needs to be that complex?

Xetelian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2010

Any chance that NOT using Adobe Air would benefit this whole system?

It really feels like horrible idea for the platform in opinion and practice for many.

BoeingB17FF

08-29-2010

Wooow. I do server work for FedEx and reading this made me laugh as I understood every single thing he said. I deal with this stuff daily too. And to further emphasise some complexities - I'll use an optical drive swap. In a home system, you shut down, and pretty much swap out the drive in minutes (my personal machine can have the drive physically swapped in under 30 seconds if you're fast). On a server like the ones involved here, it can take up to and beyond 4 hours. System reboots don't require a simple 1-minute POST (Power-On-Self-Test), but can take 15 minutes or more as various subsystems are checked out. In addition, many of these boxes likely run Unix or similar, not Windows. Working in these environments is very different than your point-and-click of Windows and - well - LoL (lol ^.^). These machines provide a significant amount of multiprocessing power that your run-of-the mill home systems can't. They're also generally up for a looong time. The ones at my office see average UPTIMES of 400+ days.

For my last comment, I'll touch redundancy. In server environments, it's commonplace to have things in 'parallel' or clusters. Pretty much this means you have multiple (2 or more) boxes running the same stuff. Idealy, what this means, is that you can have one box take over if another one dies (failover). Sometimes issues occur during failover. That can quickly effect things both upstream and downstream of the problem system. So a simple failure on one system can quite litterally spawn multiple child problems. Why not tack on more servers? Well, there's the cost-benefit issue as well as integration into the already existent system. And you might just have to take the other boxes offline temporarily to get the new box in place. That means even more downtime.

So, now that I'm done rambling, I just want to state that actively working in a heavy server environment (1K+ servers in my building), I understand what RioT games goes through and I support them all the way. Granted, I may grumble at having my "filler" LoL games delayed, but all I can really do is hope for the best for resolutions. Thanks for the awesome game, Riot!

BoeingB17FF

08-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfElements View Post
Maybe you should try to simplify the infrastructure so it can be easier for you to handle it. Is there a real reason why it needs to be that complex?
Work a corporate-level server environment and you'll see just how crazy some of this gets. Sometimes, it makes the cabling jobs in the actual server rooms look simplistic.

BoeingB17FF

08-29-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergent Lopes View Post
^Server stability,our number one priority....
well riot,you are funny guys ...i mean you are teeling us thats your number one priority and the server is down like 4 hours now!!!and its like every day now!!!are you taking us for idiots??
you guys are allways 'working' on the server but you never fix the problems!!!
Lets be serious...you guys arent professional enough to keep this going -.-
Players are getting angry and mad because of your promisses and your lies.
You dont even anounced the maintenance this time.You dont give a **** abut us.All you guys do is bringing out new skins and champions to get your money.For the rest you dont give a **** -.-
isnt it riot...?
I can tell you don't work in servers. How about you take 4 years of college, work servers, and then come back and offer suggestions. Until you actually work in this field, you're technically not qualified to comment.

Smug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-29-2010

wish charter had the same views on customer service. But then again, they already have a monopoly over our area, so no need to be cordial.

Dononon

08-29-2010

Thanks for such an insightful and well thought out response! It seems to me that you guys are truly authentic in your care for your players and their play experience, and it definitely reaffirms my faith in Riot Games as a whole. Keep up the good work and we'll definitely keep playing!

Zabazura

08-29-2010

Klas

Cumulous

08-29-2010

Cool, because I was beginning to think you guys didn't give a **** if the servers were up or not.