Nami intrigues me...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anakluthen

07-01-2013

Ok so recently I've started liking support and I've been trying a few (Nami, Sona, Zyra etc.) And I've been quite interested in them. I also like supports that can go mid like Lux. (Or mids that can go support I should say) So I want to try Nami mid, but people say that nami is a horrible mid laner and would be squashed hard. Because of this, I looked up Nami's stats and Lux's stats, to compare/contrast. I believe that Nami can Mid and here's why.

Stats

Surprisingly, I think Nami's stats are better than Lux's, at least for the laning phase. She has higher movement speed than Lux, better starting health than Lux (but Lux scales better in health after 5 levels) Better mana for the laning phase (Lux's mana pool gets bigger by a small amount after 8 levels) better armor, much better attack speed, and the same range.

Passives: Illumination VS Surging Tides

Ok, so this may be an obvious hint that lux will do more damage. It does suggest that Nami will be MUCH more mobile than Lux, while sacrificing some damage. Also, Nami's passive can benefit the team while Lux's cannot.

Q's: Aqua Prison VS Light Binding

I was very surprised when I looked at this spell, because Nami's Aqua Prison ACTUALLY has a lower cooldown than Lux's light binding. The scaling of Aqua Prison is actually only .05 less than Lux's Light Binding. ALSO, Nami's Q has a hard CC stun of 1.5 seconds, and Lux's is only a snare of 2 seconds. Nami's Q sacrifices a TINY AP scaling for hard CC and lower cooldown, which is an awesome trade off in my opinion. You may say that Nami's Q is much harder to land, but if you keep practicing, it gets easy. Also, I find it easier to dodge line skill shots than AOE ones.

W's: Ebb and Flow VS Prismatic Barrier

Lux's shield amount is stronger than Nami's heal, and has a 0.05 greater scaling. Nami's Ebb and Flow, however, has a shorter cooldown at all levels of the game. Also, Nami's W can DAMAGE an enemy, while Lux's shield cannot. Lux can shield multiple allies, while Nami's can heal one. In the long run of the laning phase, I think Nami's W is better, but if Lux can hit multiple allies with a shield in a teamfight it can have a great effect.

E's: Tidecallers Blessing VS Lucent Singularity

Now, Tidecaller's Blessing does overall MORE DAMAGE if you land all three AA's. It has a higher base damage, with the same scaling as Lux's E. The slow can also be applied in determined increments, while with Lucent Singularity, people can walk out of the radius to keep from being slowed. Of course Lucent Singularity has a higher range, but it CAN be dodged, while Nami's Auto Attacks cannot be dodged (unless you have an untargetable ability). Nami's cooldown is 1 second longer though.

Ultimate's: Final Spark VS Tidal Wave

Ok, I will admit, this is where Lux becomes more of a Mid than Nami. But I would like to point out a few things. Lux's ultimate has a 0.05 higher scaling, higher base damage, lower cooldown, and longer range. You may say "Anakluthen, doesn't that mean it's better?" No. Nami trades damage for CC. Her Ultimate has a knockup AND A SLOW. Lux's ultimate has no CC at all, but overall more damage (and vision). In teamfights, it's debatable which ultimate is better. I would say Nami's because it offers more CC and interruption, while doing decent damage.

Overall, I believe Nami can Mid lane as a utility mage, and do it well. She may not do as much damage as a Lux, but she has much more utility instead. Don't say "AND THAT'S WHY SHE'S JUST A SUPPORT" because, her damage in her overall kit is good enough to stay relevant throughout the game, especially with the utility it brings.

TL;DR I would like to hear your opinions on Nami mid. Read (or skim) my post before you answer. Also, please tell me why if you downvote.

Anakluthen

07-01-2013

I worked hard on that post xD Will someone give me feedback?

Anakluthen

07-01-2013

Btw I know they purposely nerfed her AP ratios so she couldn't be an APC, but I think her ratios aren't the greatest, but they are sufficient.

Anakluthen

07-01-2013

I also do realize she has low wave clear. In my build I would be running lots of MPen to make up for the mediocre AP ratios.

Ferous

07-01-2013

If you read my recent post, I was debating Nami. I like your analysis, even if it's directed towards another champion in particular.

I'd argue that you do miss some points on Lux though where there is obvious a bit of bias.

You talk about how Nami's E hitting three times does more - but an equivalent example is if Lux's E hits three people. More damage done, and much safer since you're not in AA range.

Lux's R can also be used to snipe wounded champions. Nami's R has variable use in team fights or escapes, but only if your team if strong enough to rout the opponent's and take advantage of the sudden CC. Lux's R can affect the game, from a huge distance, at any point - and you don't need to worry about the coherency of your team. You seem a wounded enemy try and run away? Nope.
You see the ADC lining up a shot and think that they're safe? Nope.
Enemy taking dragon? Nope. Blue buff? Nope.

Nami's R comes down to a lot of variables to be really effective.

I think it's a bit more gray than you paint it, but I liked the otherwise solid appraisal.

In regards to wave-clear, I'd go AP.
So that your heal is more effective when you eventually get poked repeatedly, and to boost your W/E. W to snipe the mages, E to whittle the melee minions.

CerealBoxOfDoom

07-01-2013

nami is just a support...

riot saw her go mid and put the hammer down again and again in the pbe. She was not only to be pure support but she was to be a nontoxic yet amazing support. Little by little they've worked on her to make sure she has never been toxic starting her off a bit on the low end and buffing her little by little. She just reached the point where she could see some competitive play and do okay but they buffed her again and this time she didn't do too well possibly do to some other changes. Nami is not meant to go mid and effort is put into keeping it from happening. She can potentially still go mid but it honestly isn't worth it unless theres some special jungling going on.

She is however good for roaming ganks from bot and doesn't actually have to support a carry since her abilities benefit many different types of champs but laning by herself isn't one of nami's strongsuits.

Nami does in fact have "ok" damage but her utility casts an enormous shadow on her damage because unlike lux she is pure support. Instead of getting tons of damage she breaks other champs on her team and helps them do things they couldn't otherwise.

Sure a lux laser does much more damage but can it really prevent a disengage combo? Can it force them to eat a fullpower surprise nunu ult from a bush? Hell no. Unlike nonpuresupport lux nami isn't dependant at all on damage to make a difference which is part of what makes her strong. You may have tons of damage and have a fed assassin from midlane but it doesn't matter if you can't engage without being knocked up and wiped out.

Anakluthen

07-01-2013

Thanks you two for shedding some light on the subject. I think that Nami would be a better support, but I will do some testing tonight.

CerealBoxOfDoom

07-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakluthen View Post
Btw I know they purposely nerfed her AP ratios so she couldn't be an APC, but I think her ratios aren't the greatest, but they are sufficient.
Sufficient doesn't stop the farm from getting pushed under the tower.
Sufficient ratios also don't make her damage good enough to deal with the more dangerous antimids who will wipe the floor with nami be they in lane or jungling. No, that tower wont save you.

Quote:
I also do realize she has low wave clear. In my build I would be running lots of MPen to make up for the mediocre AP ratios.
Mpen doesn't help much with waveclear. Minions have like no MR.

Also MR doesn't empower your support abilities. Going mid doesn't make you an apc.

A support is a support no matter what lane they go to.

Even lux spends a good deal of time just supporting until she can poke which is actually another important support job

Anakluthen

07-01-2013

Also, I didn't post this in my thread, but I have seen AD Nami be quite effective e.o It's very odd.

CerealBoxOfDoom

07-01-2013

Quote:
Thanks you two for shedding some light on the subject. I think that Nami would be a better support, but I will do some testing tonight.
not just a better support. That is what she does.

The only easy to argue reason you would even send her mid is so that she would get her level 6 early and thus be able to support her team even harder.

That or someone was countered way too hard in mid not that nami could really take the place of a countered midlaner seeing as most midlaners are better suited to the lane and less vunerable to countermids than nami is. You don't send the lamb to help the goats when wolves show up