Low ELO support advice needed.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Absolute Loss

06-19-2012

is it possible to leave elo hell playing support?

if so what can i do to improve my gameplay? what do i have to do to get out? i like playing support i have more fun in that role then others it just feels like to win we have to spend 40 mins in game and to lose we get rolled in 20mins.

midillusion

06-19-2012

Of course it is possible. There are many players (myself included) who have increased their ELO just by playing supports. Play good enough, and you can carry with any role. In terms of support, the way you carry is by getting your AD carry fed. You are the puppetmaster, the AD carry is the puppet. Pull the strings and make them believe they are the ones doing the moving, and they'll dance all night long for you.

Why do you take flat AP marks on your supports? An extra 5 AP isn't going to save your AD carry from death. What will save them is if you have an extra ward or if you get that Aegis a bit sooner, so why not take gold/10 seals and armour marks? Similarly, why take the CDR from the offensive tree which costs 4 points when you can get more CDR by spending only 3 points in the utility tree? What you are doing right now makes no sense at all. You would also do well to max out the Wealth mastery in order to start with an extra ward, meaning you don't have to return to base as quickly and can therefore defend your AD carry for longer.

In your game as support Taric when you went 1/5/9, why did you get an early starks fervor instead of a heart of gold and/or a kage's lucky pick, when you have only 1 auto attacker on your team? These are all things that can be easily fixed, and I haven't even seen you play yet.

Proletaria

06-19-2012

1. Always have wards, learn where to put them.
2. Play strong support champs (janna, sorakka, taric) that can compensate for an aggressive or passive carry.
3. Always build Philo stone and Heart of gold, you'll need the gp10
4. Don't take CS from your carry
5. Die to save the carry if you must
6. Practice, practice, practice
7. Use the awesome ignore feature if your team tries to lump a loosing game on you (this happens to supports/junglers the most)

Absolute Loss

06-19-2012

i do all those things i keep timers on dragons barons jungle buffs etc i time wards and ping where they are i even type where they are. i still seem to just lose lose lose

midillusion

06-19-2012

So you understand the basics (or at the very least you do them), but what about the more advanced stuff? Can you predict when you are going to get ganked based on who the enemy jungler is and where they started? Do you know how long it takes for a champion to travel from mid to bot, or from the base to the lane? Can you use this information to ward efficiently enough that you are safe using the minimum amount of wards possible?

If so, then great, but warding is only half the battle as a support. You also need to know when the best time to engage in a 2v2 is. At what time do you have an advantage over your opponents. Remember it is the support who decides how the lane is played, not the AD carry. Look at the lane matchup and ask yourself "when is the best time to engage on them?" And also keep items in mind. Before you engage, compare the items of your AD carry and theirs.

Or maybe the problems happen later on, in teamfights. When you teamfight, who are you using your CC on? the enemy AD carry? Remember that in teamfights, the job of the support is to protect the AD carry, not rush off after the enemy team. Decide who the biggest threat to the enemy AD carry is (it will probably be either an assassin or a bruiser) and focus all your CC on them.

Of course, without seeing you play it's very hard to tell what you are doing wrong, so a lot of this is speculation.

MeltedWater

06-19-2012

I see you building for damage more. You should be building more for tankiness, especially if you're a tank. It's your job to stay alive and keep everyone else alive as well, but if you don't build tanky then all you do is die right away and then so does everyone else.

I'm by no means a pro. I don't know everything. But i'd like to think I'm a pretty good support. If you're interested, add me as a friend and I'll show you how I play support and maybe give you a few pointers if I can. You can be the AD carry and we can bot together so you can see what I do, and whatnot.

Absolute Loss

06-20-2012

i will hit you guys up when servers are back up

Strill

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by midillusion View Post
Of course it is possible. There are many players (myself included) who have increased their ELO just by playing supports. Play good enough, and you can carry with any role. In terms of support, the way you carry is by getting your AD carry fed. You are the puppetmaster, the AD carry is the puppet. Pull the strings and make them believe they are the ones doing the moving, and they'll dance all night long for you.
I just don't believe that. I play support Leona ranked duo queue with one friend primarily. When I tried to do a normal game support with a different friend (who's nowhere near as good), we got slaughtered twice in a row because he ran into melee range of me, got focused, and never ran away. He was playing Graves, and no he wasn't using buckshot either.

The next time I played with my skilled friend I noticed what he did. He started out in melee range of me just like before but used buckshot right away, and the moment the enemy Taric came to him he backed up a few steps and Taric didn't even bother to follow. This time we were able to get a kill on them as they chased trying to finish me off.

Goatbear

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by midillusion View Post

Why do you take flat AP marks on your supports? An extra 5 AP isn't going to save your AD carry from death. What will save them is if you have an extra ward or if you get that Aegis a bit sooner, so why not take gold/10 seals and armour marks? Similarly, why take the CDR from the offensive tree which costs 4 points when you can get more CDR by spending only 3 points in the utility tree? What you are doing right now makes no sense at all. You would also do well to max out the Wealth mastery in order to start with an extra ward, meaning you don't have to return to base as quickly and can therefore defend your AD carry for longer.

In your game as support Taric when you went 1/5/9, why did you get an early starks fervor instead of a heart of gold and/or a kage's lucky pick, when you have only 1 auto attacker on your team? These are all things that can be easily fixed, and I haven't even seen you play yet.
You, sir, scare me.

Strill

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatbear View Post
You, sir, scare me.
All his advice was solid, except maybe the part about being able to work with terrible carries. Other than that point, you'd be wise to heed his advice.