How should Sona be played?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MoreMedz

06-20-2012

Methinks the problem was the players you were playing with. Your results suggest you were having a very positive influence in the game, but your team members were too caught up to notice it.

A support is meant to support the team to victory, just like a carry is meant to carry the team to victory. While it is preferable for the carry to get the gold quickly to complete their build, there is no hard and fast rule about when you can damage, when you should heal, who you can kill etc. It is not unheard of for some "supports" to end up playing a very dominant role, so if you have a good team, they won't mind at all when this happens and it nets you a victory.

Cheap0

06-20-2012

Sona's great strength as a support is her ability to do just about everything. She damages, heals, slows, boosts speed, reduces opponents attack speed, and stuns. Play her in whatever way supports your carry best. If you're with a more aggressive carry, max Q first, then her healing, and take a point in E at level 4. In a passive lane, prioritize W over Q instead.

And yea, you should definitely be doing damage if you can, just be careful. Sona is super squishy.

Also, note the Aura you're emitting. A level five Q aura boosts damage and AP by a full 20 points (2 Longswords) and a level 5 W is 15 armor and MR (almost a Cloth Armor).

hercfitch

06-20-2012

Or you could just turn Sona into the AD carry!!
That's what I starting doing, one match, when our carry was feeding... I just sold everything and bought as much ad as I could... and realized she can actually do damage. Do a standard IE, PD, beserker greaves... last whisper for some armor pen, a BT for even more damage and lifesteal, and I sometimes build a trinity force at the end (usually sheen first, because your AD is stupid high by that point, with crit and armor pen, and if you combine Sheen with Sona's Q power chord... OMG).

EyeHearShapes

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mageinta Warrior View Post
Here's the rule:

In solo queue, you must ALWAYS ALWAYS take the kill if you can. You know why? You can't always rely on people in solo queue to finish kills. If you get the kill, better for them to have an assist and you a kill instead of no one getting an assist or kill.

True story though - I've had AD carries complain that I "ks" when I had to finish off their AD before their AD carry killed ours.

- Mageinta Warrior
wait aren't u that guy everyone says is bad lol

Senpai Swag

06-20-2012

To play support is pretty fun not going to lie. It requires a high skill cap everyone thinks it's a joke but you have to constantly have your lane warded you have to be keeping your AD carry topped up since you're playing Sona and you have to have the right aura's on in a fight you also have to know which Power Chord you're supposed to use against certain targets.

General tip, try get 3 stacks before you go in for a trade with people, try to use your Powerchord Diminuendo in small trades with the other carry.

Shorty

06-20-2012

http://i.imgur.com/7opUg.png

Pretty sure Sona's an AD Carry that belongs in the jungle, but that's just me...

EyeHearShapes

06-20-2012

Sona should be played when the game works

R3dund4ncy

06-20-2012

Sona most rape support ever... Just leave minions and chill in the grass healing, jump out and help slaughter thine enemies when needed, harass occasionally.

Aeaeros

06-20-2012

If you're supporting, you really don't want to take kills. As a support you really don't need the gold and the gold from assists will be more than sufficient. On top of that, while you really don't need the gold your AD carry or AP carry definitely does need the gold.

This is also why supports tend to "0 cs" and let the AD carry last hit everything at the start of the game.

That said, sometimes you need to secure to kill, either because there's a chance your carry might not finish them off OR because you need to kill someone before they kill your carry. But really that's at most a couple of kills a game -- not 8 kills.

Also, your E is probably better to level up than your Q, especially past mid-game. In early game Q is okay, as it's potentially a great harass, but move-speed is so much more potent mid and late game.

Kittylyst

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

06-20-2012

As support, you want to feed your carry. Getting a kill or two isn't bad, but the early ones should go to your carry if possible. Sona hits harder than you think, so you might be helping out and then get the kill. Most of the time I do a "Oh man I'm sorry!" and everything is okay. You don't need the gold as much as they do.

Definitely harass in the early game with Sona. Her Q and power chord hit like a truck in the low levels. Make the enemy carry fear you! Remember that you are squishy though. Also use your ult to help get the kill or save your carry's life. It is a great ult, so use it well!