@Guinsoo mainly... maybe Pendragon.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cheems

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2010

Hai2u!

I remember reading a while back from Pendragon I believe, that one of the selling points of LoL from DotA was that it was not bound to the same engine used to create all WC3 maps (World Editor.exe) and as such they have more creative flexibility in gameplay.

I'm just curious as I've been playing LoL for about a year now and I have yet to see some impressive standout and flashy skills that are difficult if not impossible to implement in a DotA map.

I was very impressed by Guinsoo back in DotA 5.84c when he implemented skills such as Morphling's Spellsteal, Vengeful's Netherswap, Pudge 2.0's Meat Hook and Juggernaut's Omnislash but from LoL, I have yet to see anything that cannot be immediately replicated in a WC3 engine. From what I can see so far, the LoL editor (if there is one, I assume you use some sort of code or language to create new abilities and pair them with a skin) is pretty ... simple. You don't see skills similar to Chronoshift (Faceless Void) or Fissure (Earthshaker) in terms of visual effects and difficulty to implement and although there are alot of original skills (Galio's Wind Skill, Veigar's Event Horizon and Anivia's Ice Wall) the rest are pretty much recycled skills.

I don't mean champions such as Nidalee or Akali where they are in a new class of playstyle on their own and demand a level of control not immediately found in DotA (maybe Invoker) but really, when it comes down to it; would you say that the DotA community is better at making "cool" heroes/champions?

Especially since SC2 unveiled it's editor at E3 recently and the development of the new DotA for SC2 (SotIS) it just makes LoL look completely outshined and outclassed like a DotA wannabe when in actuality it's much more then that!

Lest it be known that this is anti-LoL bs thread, I'm a dedicated LoL player who has reached LVL 24 on a smurf with 0 zero wins (Have a LVL 30 account too). 6 practise games a day for 4 months.

outfoxxed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-27-2010

lol that's hilarious. you have 0 wins and you're level 24? would lol when you play a normal game and you roflstomp everyone.

zeeh

08-27-2010

Fancy, technical skills don't necessarily make a fun game.

Cheems

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeh View Post
Fancy, technical skills don't necessarily make a fun game.
It sure helps. That's why games like Pong, Tetris and Pacman, Bomberman, Sonic The Hedgehog (classic games as they are) are constantly being upgraded and re-marketed with new features or new styles.

I can think of at least 8 different Tetrises and 6 different Bomberman titles.

SoulCollector

Recruiter

08-27-2010

Bomberman 64 will always be the best bomberman ever.

Skytorn

08-27-2010

But they can make a fun game even more fun, which is what I suppose OP is getting at.

Remember LoL is a f2p operation. It's small. The company needs to make safe bets rather than sink lots monies into flashy effects, when servers have the stability of a hamster wheel and a large amount of resources need to go into new champs for variety to keep the playerbase.

Give em time. When they start reaping the profit of whatever business model they're on, we'll see some real fancy stuff happenin'.

zeeh

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheems View Post
It sure helps. That's why games like Pong, Tetris and Pacman, Bomberman, Sonic The Hedgehog (classic games as they are) are constantly being upgraded and re-marketed with new features or new styles.

I can think of at least 8 different Tetrises and 6 different Bomberman titles.
Don't get me wrong, I see your point. I'm not sure why you mention games like Pong and Tetris though. When someone mentions one of those games, what is the iconic image that comes to you immediately? One of the 100s of flashy ripoffs of the last 10 years? Or the original, simple version?

Anyways, I do agree that the game could stand to have a bit more variety. I don't think the engine has much to do with it though. Riot has made a large effort to make the game straightforward and newbie friendly and whatnot, and while that is noble and all, it definitely can stifle creativity as well.

Lunatixa

08-27-2010

Well, Morphling's Spellsteal was buggy as hell...

EIometer

08-27-2010

I really hope to see a Red post here, this is a good and valid point. Alot of the champion skills are being recycled on new champions (Galio being a specific example). I want to see something new please!

Aidan

08-27-2010

I miss Nissaj. :[