[Guide] statikk's Take on Udyr, the Animal Spirit

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fELonius1

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppa View Post
Getting madreds as a core item is kind of eeh as often you won't need it if they help you with dragon/ dragon is warded.

What is the reason you get it in your core as you can easily jungle without it anyway.
For this reason, I like to turn my cloth armor into a heart of gold.

Eppa

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fELoniusz View Post
For this reason, I like to turn my cloth armor into a heart of gold.
I do the same.

NickPham

08-27-2010

Random note on the runes, the crossover level for Magic resist lvl 10... which seems kind of late. What makes you gravitate more towards perlevel runes?

FernandoStevens

08-27-2010

Excellent guide. I've been playing Udyr a fair bit in practice games since he's free this week and I'll definitely buy him when I farm the IP.

I have a quick question about lower-level summoners jungling: I'm Level 16 and I find that unless I take Turtle as my first skill, my jungling falls to ****. It is simply a rune/skilltree (i.e. summoner level) difference that I'll eventually overcome, or "should" a summoner of lower level be able to start with Tiger/Phoenix and still jungle without golem humiliating me or starting with lesser creeps and BPing before going for the bigger guys?

I start with Cloth Armor + 5 HP, and use the same spell/skill/rune layout as what you recommend (barring the runes' lower quality and the inability to go all the way up one tree, of course). My order is (Smite) golem->wolves->(Smite) wraiths->little golems->(Smite) lizard->wolves->wraiths->(Smite) little golems, then B. W-R-W-R-E skilling order.

tl;dr: I'm summoner level 16. R first makes me usually die in jungle. Am I a baddie for doing W first?

Fokist

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickwright View Post
Covenant is pretty much right in all aspects. Its mostly about preference but I'm tired of seeing all the Tiger-Hate.
i laugh at the tiger hate. and sit back and watch the phnx lovers continue to feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoStevens View Post
Excellent guide. I've been playing Udyr a fair bit in practice games since he's free this week and I'll definitely buy him when I farm the IP.

I have a quick question about lower-level summoners jungling: I'm Level 16 and I find that unless I take Turtle as my first skill, my jungling falls to ****. It is simply a rune/skilltree (i.e. summoner level) difference that I'll eventually overcome, or "should" a summoner of lower level be able to start with Tiger/Phoenix and still jungle without golem humiliating me or starting with lesser creeps and BPing before going for the bigger guys?

I start with Cloth Armor + 5 HP, and use the same spell/skill/rune layout as what you recommend (barring the runes' lower quality and the inability to go all the way up one tree, of course). My order is (Smite) golem->wolves->(Smite) wraiths->little golems->(Smite) lizard->wolves->wraiths->(Smite) little golems, then B. W-R-W-R-E skilling order.

tl;dr: I'm summoner level 16. R first makes me usually die in jungle. Am I a baddie for doing W first?
dude trust me phnx is not needed. unless it is a huge mob of creeps pushing a lane. otherwise there is no reason to get phnx higher than lvl 3

Eppa

08-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoStevens View Post

R is faster W is safer. I you can't do it with R go for W. You can do a 1/1x/12 build if you can't do it with the x/x/21 build.

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

08-28-2010
2 of 2 Riot Posts

Okay sorry guys I really don't have the time to patrol my guide threads as much anymore so let me just address a few common questions.

As far as Razor goes, that's my personal preference. I love the ability to clear the jungle at super insane rates so I can have more time roaming for kills. Also it's very helpful as people said against Dragon such that even if the enemy team has me warded I may be able just to kill it before they can converge. It's my style, I don't expect everyone to follow suit but I find that 1000 gold tradeoff is more than worth it in the long run. Going Cloth Armor -> Heart of Gold -> Randuin's is also a solid choice.

In my guides I assume level 30 with T3 runes. So yeah I can imagine jungling is not as easy without these things. My advice is to just adapt and see what is possible.

The reason I like MR/lvl runes is that casters actually don't start getting scary until about the level 6-11 bracket and they usually need to snowball to do well. I find that I can just avoid their burst early on and then just end up nullifying them for the rest of the game.

Krald

08-28-2010

Question, why a 0/9/21 build as opposed to a 1/16/13 build?

TheTruhan

08-28-2010

A question to statikk,

When you gank a lane using Udyr's Bear Stance+Red buff, which stance do you go for after that? Phoenix Stance/Tiger Stance. Based on what you said in your guide my guess would go for the Phoenix Stance. However like Covenant said in page 1, Tiger Stance has much more burst damage then a Phoenix Stance would have in terms of ganking. Taking this consideration, do you think that Tiger Stance is worth it for early ganking?

Princessbanana

08-29-2010

In my opinion, Tiger > Phoenix, but it depends entirely on how you like to play udyr

In a team fight:
I love just running circles around my opponents with ghost/bear/youumu's ghostblade KITING
them changing the overall status of what was supposed to happen and procing bear stun with tiger, turtle to run away or turtle when properly kited a champion to initiate someone else. Building armor/MR/Life over damage to properly abuse the situation ( SINGED)

I look at phoenix and its really not my playstyle of being quite stationary to try to attack fast/leech life to proc phoenix's fire breath. Play it as a true offtank have 2-3 idiots try to focus you not all 5 of them while they are distracted by your immense presence your teammates are destroying them.