Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Ryze with Smite.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thairn

Recruiter

06-18-2012

I know that Smite is reserved for jungler's, but I found a strangely nifty use for it as a solo top. Realizing that Smite utilizes spellvamp, and Ryze's ultimate grants that temporarily, I was able to solo dragon for my team using a Hextech revolver (Granting 12% spellvamp), the spellvamp masteries (Bringing it to 15%) and his rank 2 ultimate boosting it to a total 35%.

I'm able to solo dragon at level 11 and walk out with slightly more/less than half health.

Starting with a standard spell combo without proccing his ult. Then, as they come off cooldown for the second burst (Dragon at about 3/4 health, yourself 1/3) using a longer combo proccing his ult in between Q's and dropping smite .

Spell combo's being q->e->q->w->q for the first burst.
q->e->q->w->q->r->q->Smite->e->q for the second burst.

Heal grants 350-385 health on use. With 40% spellvamp, Smite heals 243 while dealing 695 true damage to dragon (At level 11). This healing doesn't include the "q->(ignore this smite)->e->q" from the second burst.

Also, because of having smite, I was able to quickly kill off the camps with buffs on top lane without using my ult for the speed. Allowing me to use it immediatly as I got back into lane on the pushing minion wave from my brief absence of eating (wolves/golems/wraiths).

At level 18 a random minion smite (Read this as "Giving Red to the AD carry) with all the Spellvamp (Assuming max ult and Wota/masteries [45%]) heals 392. 133-185 less than Summoner spell heal. But it comes off cooldown 200 seconds Faster. About every other (or more) ults.
(Heal has a 270 CD, Smite is 70 CD) If we convert this into health per second. This smite combo would produce 5.6 Hp per second. (+56 hp per 10 regen). Heal is equivalent to 1.9 Hp per second. (Or +19 Hp per 10 regen.)

294% Healing over time, while being a free damaging spell.

I've tested it three times in solo match-up and it seemed pretty do-able from the massive feeding and quick ganking.

Does anyone have some feedback on this being a possible summoner spell choice for Ryze on Twisted Treeline because of this?

EDIT: Also, is this the right thread for this? I wouldn't ever take Smite on Summoner's Rift or Dominion for obvious reasons. Does this belong in strategy, or here?

EDIT 2: Forgot to mention that I was using all Mana runes for about a 250 Mana boost in the beggining. I'm a still only summoner level 23. >>

The Only Shaco

06-18-2012

ok

Dizzazzter

06-18-2012

I don't think its strong enough to pick up on Ryze. But pick it up on Lee Sin and max out W for better results.

sthorwall

06-18-2012

Bear with me. Your dragon story is unimpressive. Where are the other five players that late in the game? If you could do it at level 6 or sooner, I might care. So don't do it to solo dragon.

BUT. What you say about your lane is exactly why I do love taking smite on a top-laner, and SOMEBODY on the team should definitely have smite. If no one else needs it or can use it better, then it's an option for you. If they can use it better, i.e. jungle more, control buffs better, etc. then they should take it. Smite on TT is for buff control, having it on a top-laner is a pretty fun perk.

Lemming

06-18-2012

Expect you can solo dragon with any bruiser with wriggles at level 6-8.

She

06-18-2012

bad

The Only Shaco

06-18-2012

troll like u make this 3v3 community noobs

Thairn

Recruiter

06-18-2012

Quote:
Dizzazzter:
I don't think its strong enough to pick up on Ryze. But pick it up on Lee Sin and max out W for better results.

Agreed. Even though it takes a rank 5 to get it higher spellvamp than Ryze, it also grants lifesteal and armor, as well as the pre-requisite giving him a damage buffer. Probably an all around better go than Ryze. Also, that's the only ability that he has scaling from AP, would you already be building a Gunblade or a Will of the Ancients that early? Even so, does he pick up the slack with lifesteal where the spellvamp is 20% weaker?

*Further nerding is needed*

Quote:
sthorwall:
Bear with me. Your dragon story is unimpressive. Where are the other five players that late in the game? If you could do it at level 6 or sooner, I might care. So don't do it to solo dragon.

BUT. What you say about your lane is exactly why I do love taking smite on a top-laner, and SOMEBODY on the team should definitely have smite. If no one else needs it or can use it better, then it's an option for you. If they can use it better, i.e. jungle more, control buffs better, etc. then they should take it. Smite on TT is for buff control, having it on a top-laner is a pretty fun perk.

This was mostly my point to start with. I admittedly got carried away after I realized that smite came off cooldown so much faster. >> It was also because the top lane had wandered to bottom and I got dragon while it was 2v3 on bottom. My two teammates used the early buff to counter-gank in a way. It just seemed unexpected that Ryze would do it. We won that teamfight also because I zoomed down to bottom lane with the wraith buff and ulted again spellvamping that health back with a nuke.

Edit: I didn't even venture to try it sooner. It's probably much easier with the perks of being lvl 30 as well. I'm definitely going to try and see if it can be done even sooner with runes and masteries when I get there myself. As well as I've done the math and their is probably a more effective way to do it, without intentionally making a build JUST for it. I just found that switching in Smite to cover the usage of two different summoner spells seemed kinda thrifty.

sthorwall

06-18-2012

Your story makes me want to roll a game with Ryze solo top. He can be fun on 3s.