Trolling Premades, Dear Readers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

trismegistre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Trolling Premades, Dear Readers
A Book on Tape

Chapter One: Champion Select

This story begins like many others: a lower level friend wants to play a champ they just bought and, thus, asks you to lane with them. Thus, in champion select, they pick their new champ-- in this case, Blitzcrank. As Blitz is traditionally a beep-boop-support, you might pick an AD Carry like Tristana. Thus, a beautiful partnership is born in bot lane. An AP Mid is chosen, perhaps Lux.

Thus, it falls to the last two to make a selection. The first three are already locked in and ready to go, and as this is blind pick, it is not about the counterpicks but about choosing the champions you are strong with. So, even though you did say "Blitz/Tristana bot lane", the last two to pick might go from, say, Renekton and Jungle Tryndamere to Teemo and Support Leona, with the caveat of "we are bot lane motherf***ers, or we feed".

Alas, dear readers, what a conundrum ! The only solution for our heroes: go top lane. Thus, a happy balance is struck-- the two are going against a solo-Rumble who has a Warwick jungle. Bot lane is Sona and Varus, and Lux is fortunate enough to be going against herself-- what fortune !

Little did our heroes know that there were misdeeds afoot-- in this case, their bot lane either had no clue what they were doing, or they were clearly out to ruin the game. Regardless, the heroes both ignored bot lane after Teemo and Leona spent two minutes sharing their excitement about finding the ping button the only way they knew how to express: pinging every part of the minimap accessible to them.

Thus, our heroes were in the dark. Outside of Lux having a one-sided argument with them, and the numerous "an ally has been slain" "double kill" notifications, bot lane was the least of their concerns.

Unfortunately, as Varus and Sona got kills (Sona got five of them, she was so incredibly hungry), they got a turret. Then they began to roam. Then more kills happened, and what was once a lovely mid and lovely top lane quickly digressed into a hellish landscape of Sona ults, Warwick ults, Varus ults, and Rumble ults. It had been a farm lane, but it was now a murder lane.

But what fortune ! With bot lane no longer facing opponents, surely they could find a way to come back from the brink. Unfortunately, such was not the case-- they sold their items and bought two boots of mobility. Teemo, already a fast yordle scout, was running as fast as he could directly at them, Leona passively standing by. Oddly, when called out for this behaviour, they sold their items for even more and more bizarre items.

Thus, the twenty minute mark passed. Our top lane heroes had most of the kills, mid lane Lux had her fair share, and bot lane had somehow managed to get a kill-- perhaps there is some slight success in feeding. Lux, at this point, declared herself done with the game-- bot lane fed, and signaled a surrender. Bot lane immediately refused, and another one sided argument erupted. Lux was then informed by the heroes as to how to utilise the 'mute option'- magical providence, dear readers. Magical silence.

This continued for a few more minutes. When called out again for their refusal to surrender in addition to a passionate plea to report the feeding bot lane, bot lane immediately starts a surrender vote and the game ended.

Now, what is the point of this tale ? Plain and simple: outside of the Tribunal and queue-dodging, it is becoming imperative that some system exists where when it becomes plainly obvious that a premade duo is hell-bent on ruining the gameplay experience for other players, the other players can re-queue without penalty.

The fact is, they chose to go bot from their initial choices with three seconds to spare in the selection phase. Had I known that they would do that, I would have jungled, or Blitz would have jungled. Even more so, in cases where quorum (50%+1) is met for surrender, it should potentially go through. I would be interested in a rework of the system where surrender votes can be tallied differently in the case of premade duos in normal games-- many games are prolonged in an unfortunate fashion due to individuals who have bad game manners and are set out to do nothing but troll the other players.

This might seem like mindless whining, but a system is needed-- my friend's gameplay was ruined as he did not get the practice he wanted with Blitz. The enemy team had a negative experience-- they won, but it was hollow. Our Lux was quite annoyed as well-- in cases where a premade duo is making the game no longer fun, there needs to be a system established where the other players can either re-queue or have the players removed-- while a 3 v 5 is a loss in terms of numbers, it is far better to have a fair fight than have 3 v 5 with 2 feeders.

tl;dr-- got trolled in a normal blind pick by a premade duo who locked bot lane after bot lane was already picked. Proceeded to feed the enemy bot lane like it was Thanksgiving. Sold their items numerous times, refused to surrender, and any time they were called out on it they denied it. What can be implemented to proactively handle this rather than retroactively punish this behaviour ?

Jewth

06-20-2012

I read this all.

trismegistre

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewth View Post
I read this all.
I wrote this and not even I would want to read it all. :P

Escobar Burrito

06-20-2012

I treat blind que as practice. You get trolled every so often, it's a part of the process. The positive thing to take away from the experience is basically playing with a man down (or in this case I guess 2) and gaining experience how to build when things go awry. You can gain positive experience playing the game when being trolled, even if it's frustrating at first. Try and take the positives out of each match, that's all I try and do, because the Trolls will always be there waiting to try and ruin your day.

I mean you were basically there for practice anyways, so chalk it up as such. There are still things you can do in a match like that, especially if your friend is trying out a new champ. I mean if it was ranked I could understand the frustration and it does happen in ranked, but really you're just in practice mode anyways.

trismegistre

06-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escobar Burrito View Post
I treat blind que as practice. You get trolled every so often, it's a part of the process. The positive thing to take away from the experience is basically playing with a man down (or in this case I guess 2) and gaining experience how to build when things go awry. You can gain positive experience playing the game when being trolled, even if it's frustrating at first. Try and take the positives out of each match, that's all I try and do, because the Trolls will always be there waiting to try and ruin your day.

I mean you were basically there for practice anyways, so chalk it up as such. There are still things you can do in a match like that, especially if your friend is trying out a new champ. I mean if it was ranked I could understand the frustration and it does happen in ranked, but really you're just in practice mode anyways.
I play draft and ranked, mostly.

What bummed me out mostly about this was how it affected my friend. He is new to the game, level 17 right now, and was super excited to play with me as we rarely are able to. We had one game that went decent enough (first time with Blitz) and we had time for one more before I had to get back to work.

Then this game happened.

While I kept trying to play it off and keep cool, it did bother him because he plays the game for fun and to play with his friends. He will never be a competitive player, but he does not care for the Co-op Vs AI.

While I learned about how squishy Leona can be when she has no items, he learned that it can be absolutely miserable when there are multiple trolls on the same team. We spent more time trying to correct our trolls mistakes than he had time to practice-- I think he got a chance for one or two q's.

Could we have played differently ? Yes. But when you know that it is going to be a troll game from the get-go, I find it a bit odd that there is no sort of pro-active recourse available. If you dodge, you get a time delay. If you play, you lose.

He plays to have fun-- in that game, no amount of silly jokes I made were enough for him to have fun. That is where the issue lies, unfortunately.

Outside of that, I agree with you. If you are playing to learn and to play competitively, then it is good to have those early on. If you will only ever be a casual player, then it will make you play less and less until you stop playing altogether.

That Guy Ben

06-20-2012

Once you reach a certain amount of wins, it becomes more fun to have fun rather than try to win. This may or may not come at the cost of a win and/or even ruin another person's day.

That being said, I managed to feed 54 deaths in a ranked game, but of course not on my account, it was on my online-friend's because I care about him.