Are Tanks Really the Most Important Thing?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Uccisore

08-26-2010

EDIT: See Below.

I'm low Elo.

WHen picking champs, nobody in my games every says "OMG we don't have a healer!" or
"OMG we don't have a melee DPS!" or "OMG we don't have any stuns!" or "OMG no aoe casters!". But people will fight, freak out, and queue dodge over whether or not the team has a tank, and who has to play it.*

It seems that at my ELO, proper team comp is thought to be "Whatever the hell you want + a tank".

Is this perception legitimate? Are tanks really super important compared to everything else? Or did the importance of tanks just percolate down to the noobs in a way that the importance of other things hasn't?

* I realize tanks are popular right now, so this point is slightly dated.

THE EDIT: People seem to be misunderstanding my question. I know tanks are important, and I think I know the reasons why. What I'm saying is, why are they the ONLY role that seems to be singled out as mandatory in team comp at my level? Carries seem important...how come I never see anyone say "WTF no carry? *queuedodge*"?

EviLJM

08-26-2010

Kind of. It's alot harder to initiate a a successful teamfight when you're mortally wounded after taking two spells.

DarkVizard

Banned

08-26-2010

Nope, let ashe or your carry initiate in team fights I'm sure they will survive.

Obskulum

08-26-2010

Tanks are not "popular" per say, but tanks I think are a root part of your team. They do what they're meant to do, absorb damage, distract the enemy team long enough to where your support/carry whatever does their job.

Tanks can be game changing, because, if your team is squishy with no tanks, and let's say the other team *does* have tanks, per say 2, you're going to feel the pain of that because they can absorb the bulk of the damage, stunning, slowing, or whatever on their own, whilst enemy casters or what have you are free to pick you off.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Zirun

08-26-2010

Having solid initiation is more important than simply having a tanky person on your team. Few carries and casters have solid initiation, which is why you usually need a tank.

Jun41

08-26-2010

You need tank so he starts the fight, and the enemy team waste their spells on him. Tank is kinda boring though. You won't have a great kdr, and if ur team loses they'll blame you for feeding. People need to realize having 1 tank on the team won't do unless you're amumu. You only need 1 or 2 dps carries, 1 or 2 casters. Having 1 or 2 tanks is a must, so they can start the fight and remain alive.

Uccisore

08-26-2010

Oh, I know tanks are important, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying I Have a hard time believing that there aren't OTHER roles that are just as important, that nobody seems to be concerned about in team comp.

It almost feels like there's only two roles in the game- tanks and everybody else. You need 1-2 tanks, and 3-4 everybody-elses.

EIometer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
I'm low Elo.

WHen picking champs, nobody in my games every says "OMG we don't have a healer!" or
"OMG we don't have a melee DPS!" or "OMG we don't have any stuns!" or "OMG no aoe casters!". But people will fight, freak out, and queue dodge over whether or not the team has a tank, and who has to play it.*

It seems that at my ELO, proper team comp is thought to be "Whatever the hell you want + a tank".

Is this perception legitimate? Are tanks really super important compared to everything else? Or did the importance of tanks just percolate down to the noobs in a way that the importance of other things hasn't?

* I realize tanks are popular right now, so this point is slightly dated.
It's definitely something to take notice of when deciding on a team composition. Good tanks (Amumu, Rammus, Shen) have an initiation move that either stuns the other team or renders them incapable of responding (Curse of the Mummy, Taunts). This is especially important because if it were any other champion using these skills, they'd most likely die in a few hits.

The best tanks can go 5v1 for a short duration while their team cleans things up, which makes non-tank compositions weak vs. tank comps. Starting a fight when you want it, and where you want it, decides games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uccisore View Post
Oh, I know tanks are important, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying I Have a hard time believing that there aren't OTHER roles that are just as important, that nobody seems to be concerned about in team comp.

It almost feels like there's only two roles in the game- tanks and everybody else. You need 1-2 tanks, and 3-4 everybody-elses.
In mid-high ELOs there will definitely be talk about "We need a melee DPS" or "We need a ranged DPS" or "We need AP caster" if the team is disproportionatly skewed in one particular area, but you CAN get by with, say, 2 melee DPS + 1 ranged DPS + Taric + tank compared to a team without a tank. Imho, having a tank is more important than having a caster or a melee DPS, etc.

Stiletto

08-26-2010

The only thing that makes tanks effective is teamwork, and if the question's not limited to character types only, that's what I'd put my money on as the "most important" thing.

Krendin

08-26-2010

The Carry is still the most important thing.

Which is why the Tank is so important.

He keeps the carry alive.