Help with Heimer's turret placement

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2009

Hello, fine folks of LoL.
I just started playing Heimer recently, and I am enjoying him a lot. He works at least decently well in newbie island, but I'm not too sure that I'll be able to survive the outside world. (I still got like 8 levels to go though, so no rush)

Anyway, I play him as a bait more so than lane controller. I usually only set up 2 turrets per nest, but drop multiple nests around the map. I find that this works awesomely to slow creeps pushing in by themselves (Even super creep waves are whittle down a lot by the 2nd turret nest). It also work well when a hero tries to chase me down, since I can drop the stun bomb every time I'm close to a nest, then he can take some hefty damage while I run off again. If he decides to take out the nest, then I live. If not, chances are he'll have to deal with them on the way back, and that usually hurts.

My real question is, in higher level plays, are 2 turrets enough to even slow down champions? I think new players don't go for MR or HP that much, but I do expect higher level players to. If that's the case, how many turrets per nest would I need?

Also, does turret shooting someone proc Rylai's effect (slow)? It seems that the turrets are still tied to Heimer (stat wise), but I do not know if these procs work with them or not.

And lastly, do the turrets gain more damage when you upgrade them from level 2 to 3? (I never got a chance to check. All I know is it definitely does splash damage, but no idea if it actually deals more damage per shot or not).

Oh, and one more question. Which is better for 2 turrets: a Lvl3 + lvl1, or 2 lvl2?

Xirus

10-31-2009

Hi, I've not played Heimer, but I can tell you the things that have been difficult for me when I'm playing against him.

If you're using Heimer to push, just set up heaps of turrets in the grass closest to their tower. 5+ in one place is not unreasonable, from what I've experienced. (I *think* they take reduced aoe damage?) Every time minions try to pass, it mows them down, so you basically have constant pressure to attack the turret.

For defense, heaps of turrets in the grass near your tower/actually next to your tower are both quite a nuisance.

As for leaving "nests", I'm not 100% sure what you mean, but in my experience, if Heimer leaves a few turrets lying around, it's not a big time investment for me to kill them, but it is a big investment for you to travel across the map to place them there. However, turrets + heimer in one place is usually pretty scary.

That's just my very uninformed 2 cents, but figured I'd give you something at least!

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
Anyway, I play him as a bait more so than lane controller.
1. you are not playing as me.
2. 2 turrets are not enough to slow down champions. you can build 6 i think anyway.
3. turrets do not proc rylai.
4. turrets do more damage when you level it up.
5. a lvl 3 + lvl 1 turret does same damage as 2 lvl 2 turrets.

if you really like heimer, try the alistar + heimer combo.
1. alistar + heimer gets mana manipulator as first item.
2. heimer sets up turrets in one spot, and harasses the enemy tower using his incredible mana regen.
3. alistar heals the tower.
4. alistar uses his stun + knockback combo toward turrets. then heimer stuns them at the turrets.

toomad

10-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait View Post
[...]
5. a lvl 3 + lvl 1 turret does same damage as 2 lvl 2 turrets.[...]
Actually 2 lv 2 turrets do more damage on a single target than a lv 1 and lv 3 turret because of the stacking armor/MR debuff.

Purutzil

11-01-2009

Turret placement is all situational. Placing them clumped together works well with better odds of getting an enemy near and bursting them down, and keeping things tidy and close to be easily upgraded. When it comes to AoE heroes however, you might need to change your layout to be more spread yet make sure that they are close enough to hit targets no matter which side they might be attacked from.

It can be tricky but its just a matter of getting use to it and adjusting based off your opponents.

JohnCataldo

11-01-2009

Purutzil nails it. Against enemies like Veigar, Nassus, etc., you have to space out turrets so they don't all get hit by a single AoE. If those guys aren't taking your stuff down, might as well clump a ton of them so no one can come close.

I usually do two groups of 3 by mid-game, if I'm not just trying to dominate an area by putting them all together.

It's definitely more important to get to green level 2 turrets than it is to get to red level 3. The armor debuff rocks, and makes it so that enemies take increasing amounts of damage if they fight your turrets (... kind of like the big towers!)

Coleman

11-01-2009

Something I've seen that seems outrageously effective is a line down the middle of the lane during a late game push.

All the team's champions + heim sit out near the first one, as people show up they fall back to the next one back and so on until they have worn down the team and gotten 3-4 killls and then they take out the turret and inhibiters.

That's not at all what you are talking about, but it's pretty silly what just one red turret can do in the middle of a team fight. Also take into account that most players assume during a team fight that if the other team starts running then their team has the advantage and it's amazing how many turrets you can get people to run through before they realise they are losing.

Xocolatl

11-02-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman View Post
Something I've seen that seems outrageously effective is a line down the middle of the lane during a late game push.

All the team's champions + heim sit out near the first one, as people show up they fall back to the next one back and so on until they have worn down the team and gotten 3-4 killls and then they take out the turret and inhibiters.

That's not at all what you are talking about, but it's pretty silly what just one red turret can do in the middle of a team fight. Also take into account that most players assume during a team fight that if the other team starts running then their team has the advantage and it's amazing how many turrets you can get people to run through before they realise they are losing.
My experience has been very much like that as well.

But yeah, so a nest of 3 turrets is decent for holding a spot, and maybe 1 or 2 if you're baiting, right? I'll try that out.
Thanks ^^

xilr

11-02-2009

If you space turrets out, ranged heroes will eat them. If you clump turrets together AOE heroes will eat them. If Morganna is on the opposing side, whereever you put'em doesnt matter....You'll just be a missle and grenade bot.