Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The point of barrier?! Why not heal?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Everspace

06-17-2012

Quote:
RiotNome:
In general, shields are more timing and skill-reliant than heals, and provide much more gameplay. We also wanted a Summoner Spell tailor-made for melee champions, who have issues on the map since they tend to go all-in.

It is also more "hp over time" if you are solo.

USMC 0331

06-17-2012

Ignite shouldn't effect the shield, whereas it counters heal.

Son Jarvan

06-17-2012

I think the main selling point for Barrier is actually its cooldown. Heal is significantly better per-use, yes, and it heals for 3x the listed value which is almost the same listed value as barrier (1x for yourself, .5x for each of 4 teammates), but Heal also takes nearly three times as long to come off cooldown. Also, you can use both, which I find myself doing on the less durable melee champions.

Everspace

06-17-2012

Quote:
Son Jarvan:
I think the main selling point for Barrier is actually its cooldown. Heal is significantly better per-use, yes, and it heals for 3x the listed value which is almost the same listed value as barrier (1x for yourself, .5x for each of 4 teammates), but Heal also takes nearly three times as long to come off cooldown. Also, you can use both, which I find myself doing on the less durable melee champions.

If heal is used more than once in a short period of time it also is reduced in effectiveness. That's also only in best case scenarios.

gpa4

06-17-2012

Because Barrier + Heal is the way to go.

Admiral Penguin

06-17-2012

Quote:
RiotNome:
In general, shields are more timing and skill-reliant than heals, and provide much more gameplay. We also wanted a Summoner Spell tailor-made for melee champions, who have issues on the map since they tend to go all-in.

I have a question:

Why not allow Barrier onto Summoner's Rift and disable heal? Both work pretty similarly, but Barrier is more skill based without the drawbacks of "healing" in general that LoL has problems with. Although it wouldn't have a counter on bot lane like healing reduction effects have act as a counter to Heal.

J2E Starnips

06-17-2012

Isn't the summoner heal also affected by the 20% reduction from the map? And if it is then Barrier would out perform it by a bit, because of it. Doesn't matter to me too much, because I usually run both or Barrier with Ghsot/Flash

RizzRack

06-17-2012

Quote:
RiotNome:

Your handsome.

Ruduen

06-17-2012

Heal restores slightly less effective HP, but is capable of healing teammates. It also has the con of being affected by healing reduction. It tends to be more of a supportive spell.

Barrier always grants a flat amount of effective HP, but it only lasts for a period of time. However, it is also on roughly half the cooldown of Heal, meaning that you can use it more often. It tends to be more selfish than heal.

Both of them have their uses, and I think it will vary depending on which champion is being played.

Kikhan

06-17-2012

also barriers cd is lower