Some Malphite questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zuignap

08-25-2010

I'm planning on buying Malphite tommorrow, but I still have some questions regarding him. The patch nerfed dps-Malphite, but luckily buffed tank Malphite. And since i'm going for the latter I was wondering whether some experienced Malphite players could answer some questoins for me:

-How viable is a Malphite tank at the moment? Does his skillset allow him to do decent tanking?
-What's a good way to build Malphite? (only first few items, like up to 4-6k gold max. after that it's way too team dependant)
-How do you lvl his skills? The patch made his w skill more attracting than before, because of the armor boost, but is the buff major enough to give that skill some attention before the other 2?
-Will this rune-set do?: hp quints, seal: mana regen / lvl, glyps: flat magic resist, mark: magic(or armor?) penetration. Or maybe dodge on yellow, but that might give him mana problems. But instead of that I can switch mana regen to the glpys, but that would lower my magic resist alot.
-Do you advice me to jungle or to lane? I'm not a super fan of jungling (mostly the 1 vs 2 lanes fail too often) but I dont know excactly how good his laning presence and jungling skills are.
-I guess a standard 0/21/9 mastery build is best? And as summoner spells something like: ghost/fortify, or maybe ghost/exhaust? Altough flash/teleport are viable too.

Thanks in advance for answering ^^

p.s i'm at around mid-elo and mostly play normal games (not ranked)
p.p.s please make some awesome malphite skin riot, his looks can also use a buff

edit:
I checked this guide: http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...monolith.xhtml but it's a bit outdated now because of the patch.

Hoywolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-25-2010

-Malphaite is very viable, I've been playing him all day and been winning due to his amazing tweaks, I still feel that he is best played as a tank and this is what this post is about.
-I buy a Doran's Shield, with your passive, armor, and regen you should never be pushed out of your lane EVER
-Then I work on 1 heart of gold, boots of choice (but its best if you can get tabi for armor), then wardens if its heavy melee or aegis for casters first (you will get them both), then sunfire and randuin's omen, if there are more casters then you would get an GA or FoN instead of the sunfire.

-Q, E, Q, W, E, R, then max R > Q > E > W
-Q is better if your laning with someone, you can slow giving you early FB easy.

-For runes I use Red = magic pen (ground slam and UF deals magic damage), Yellow = Dodge, Blue = mana regen/18, Quints = HP (or i like to use 1 HP and 2 Movement spd)
-you can get Yellow = mana regne/18 and Blue = CDR/18 as well.

I run with 0/21/9 but you can do 9/21/0 as well, You want to get imp fort and imp ghost, so your summoner spells are ghost and fort.

-During the laning phase you want to just stay back and last hit, I'd use Q if they get to greedy or target a hero which makes the creeps hit them, use your mana very carefully.
-You want to make sure that when you do attack or put press on have your passive shield up, if it is not wait for it. its 8 sec.
-Once you have a heart of gold and boots you can kill golem yourself it takes a while but its worth the effort with Q and W->E
-During team fight fights you just want to aim for the carries, dont worry about hitting as much as you can, once you see heroes fly press W->E quickly for ground slam damage, then use your randuin's omen for the slow.

-The only thing I can say is that be careful with your Ult, you still travel a certain distance before you hit thing so aim it will, you can totally whiff this attack, just remember to focus on a carry and you should be fine!

-I have yet to jungle with him as all the games I played yesterday had another junlger, but he is pretty good at it too with the passive and aoe attacks.

I hope this helps

Zuignap

08-25-2010

thanks alot

couldnt have hoped for a better answer <3

M4nTiCoR3

08-25-2010

I have a lot of experince playing this guy. I started at level 1 with him, and played him alone till i hit level 30. With the old Malphite, tank builds just wernt that good imo...but now that they have tweaked him its crazy what he can do.

As far as a true "protect and save your friends from death" type tank, he just doesnt have the CC to do this. He is however extreamly durable now, and simply laughs at any and all melee dps. He has a great initiation tool with his ult if you get good at aiming it, and he has impressive burst damage now since they upped its damage and gave the AR buff to make GS even more effective.

Due his durablity, he is a great choice to stack some auras on, and i have found that rushing Emblem of Valor and later pushing it to Stark's Fervor makes for some great team fights. You ult and stun ensures that several enemies will be close to you for the -20 AR debuff, and the lifesteal you provide your team, paired with the AS redux from GS, can very quickly turn the tide. AoL is another great choice if you want to provide your team some added survivability and find yourself in the middle of team close team fights with lots of casters.

For damage, nothing beats a Madred's razor-->Wriggles Lantern. Its a cheap early item you can build that will exponentially build your gold. The reason is because the 500 bonus damage that procs will also splash with his passive Brutalize. Since the splash % got uped this patch it is even more effective than it was before, and you can clear an entire wave with a single lucky strike if they are all stacks close together. Atma's Impaler will also give you about 40 extra damage or so depending on your HP, and buffs your AR at the same time. A decent choice for helping you down pesky turrets.

I also really like to go with Glacial Shroud-->Frozen Heart because the AS redux stacks nicley with GS and makes enemies dps output really gimped. The CDR, AR, and mana it offers also means you can spam your GS more often and to greater effect. With max CDR your ult is up every 60 sec and GS can be droped 2-3 times a fight easy.

Your biggest weakness is enemies that stack excesive AP and Magic Pen. Getting a few items with MR can really help, but in a pinch just a negatron cloak will greatly increase your suvivability for reasonable amounts of gold. There is always the old standby Merc Treads, and AoL helps some too. Gurdian Angel is a nice finishing item late game when you really need to stay in a fight.

If you are tanking it, you should pretty mush always go with 21 points in Defense. I really like taking the 9 offensive mastery points for the Magic pen and CDR, plus the exuhst buff which i will explain in a sec. The utility tree is also nice if you have mana issues, and i flaot back and forth between them. Since GS and your Ult are both Magic Dam, the magic pen is nice.

For runes, some dodge seals and Ninja Tabi just makes him even more uber vs. melee dps, and with a little life steal they will never seem to kill you. Against more balanced teams CDR, Magic Resist, and Health are probably the other ideal choices when building tanky malph right now.

Malphite is an incredible pusher late game and can move a lane very fast solo due to his ability to one shot entire waves of minions with GS. Since they also removed his brutalize's splash damage from his attacks when he targets a turret, he no longer accidnetly draws aggro. This is great, and turns him into a wrecking ball in a shorthanded lane. If you have a nice creep wave on a turret you can easily jump in and start wailing away. If an enemy attacks you, pop blind on him, as soon as it wears off, pop brutalize for the bonus AR. If he is a non-AP champ, he will not even scratch you. Do not use GS enemy champs are in range becasue it will draw aggro, however feel free to drop it in assisitng your creeps if no enemy champs are nearby. When brutalize is about to wear off run out and if the gank squad comes, you can always pop Ghost and use your ult as an emergency flash for the get away. With CDR, it will be up soon, and their tower will be ruble (or clsoe to it) forever.

This new Malphite is a lot of fun to play, and im still working on what is best. I do like the idea of Wardens mail, but havent tried it yet. He would also really benifit from a good HP item with all his AR, but i havn't decided which one takes the prize yet. Frozen Mallet and Banshee's Veil are both contenders though i think. I am planning a new guide to replace my old dps one, so keep an eye out ofr "The Malphinator 2.0".

Stay rock solid,

-gap81

ArlanKels

08-25-2010

I like to build up a heart of gold first because of the gold gain, then boots, then ??? then ??? then finish heart of gold into omen.
I try to abuse that heart of gold gold increase as long as I can

Do you gain attack damage from the Armor boost from the W on top of the damage boost W gives?

M4nTiCoR3

08-25-2010

Quote:
Do you gain attack damage from the Armor boost from the W on top of the damage boost W gives?
Yup =)

Your bonus damage is roughly equal to your total base AR (98%) before you buff it with brutalize.

So say... 100AR * 1.4 (Brutalize buff) = 140AR

And... 140 AR * .7 (GS+dam) = +98 bonus Magic Damage to GS

The tool tip now shows the corret damage bonus for Ground Slam now, but since you dont run around with the buff up all the time, just know it is basicly whatever you have listed for your total AR before you buff it.

ArlanKels

08-25-2010

Imagine if you had 4 Thornmails.

M4nTiCoR3

08-25-2010

Yeah, he could concivabley get to 500 armor with viable itemization by level 18. That's about a 700 damge AoE nuke every 5 sec or so with some CDR, and he can buff his Armor to about 900...giving him 90% damage reduction vs. phsyical attacks during his rage. He would pretty much be impossible to kill by melee dps, but AP nukers would burn him to ruble in the blink of an eye with no MR. Since AR has diminishing returns as it gets above 100 or so, its best to stack a few nice AR items and get other important stats like MR, CDR, Lifesteal and Health to imporve is overall durablility, and AS and AD to help down towers and enemies.

I had an impressive DPS build before the damage nerf to Brutalize that could yeild 455% base damage on crits...with the new Malph it tops out at about 377% of base damage but it may still be viable in some form or fashion. I am having fun playing around with a more tanky Malph right now and have yet to try a dps build yet, but i probably will at some point.

Zuignap

08-26-2010

thanks alot for the info
only tried 1 game with him yet, because of lack of time, but he's awesome

Patyrn

08-26-2010

He's still one of the worst tanks in my opinion. The value of his ult is extremely situational. If their team doesn't tend to clump you'll likely only hit one person. His base stats aren't very good, so your tankiness comes from items. He's not good at protecting his team as once his ult is blown he can't do any disable.

The only time I'd ever use him is if their team is AD stacked.